what is a reasonably comfortable amount to spend per month

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
I have been reading the threads on social security and they have gotten me to thinking.  I have also read the thread on living on $600 a month. I realize that one can live on that but it seems to be a "sparse life." What does a van dweller need to live a comfortable life with significant travel and data (approximately 1000 miles a month and 20 gb). I will have about $2000 a month to spend I think. Do you think this is sufficient. I apologize if this has been asked before. I looked and didn't find any threads except the one.

I think it depends on you. On here somewhere, Bob has a $500 and $1,000 budget. I'm not on the road yet, but I'm thinking I need a bit more (than $1,000). Some categories I was thinking of:

Grocery:
Fuel:
Car Insurance:
Life Insurance:
Medical Insurance:
Medical Expense:
Campground:
Restaurant:
Maintenance:
Cell Phone / Ipad/ Hot Spot:
Storage:
Misc.:

I think you can do it.

PS. I'd end the storage after a year, and I'm sure. LOL

These are the trickiest questions to answer because everyone's needs/requirements/comforts/rigs etc are so different. In fact i'm not even sure if it's an answerable question. Can you live/travel on $2000 a month....absolutely. Will it be enough for you to enjoy it, the only way is for you to try it a few months and then decide.

Personally I think that's about the ideal amount.

Found that article, Google: cheaprvliving budget $500 $1000

Depending on a few factors, the $2,000 may be more than you could spend or it could barely be enough!

If you live in an RV resort at $1,000 a month, go out for dinner twice a week at a decent restaurant, smoke and drink alcohol, you're probably going to be short on money each month.

If you like to boondock, don't drink except occasionally, don't smoke, eat home cooked meals except occasionally, well then you could live on far less than the 2G.

Last winter, with the exception of major purchases that were included in my initial set up budget, I managed very nicely on far less than half of that. This summer, because of the lack of travel, I did even better.

With the exception of some set costs like the various insurance coverages you need, everything else is variable by how much YOU want to spend.

If you want to set yourself up a budget, start with the fixed costs and go from there.

I am trying to work that out myself. There are basics like insurance, phone, internet, etc that are not changing month to month. Food, gas, site fees do change and are also a personal thing. I'm not cheap but frugal meaning I meet my needs from the ground up and only deal with wants and it would be nice to have if I ever.. for when I have excess money and room.

On the 20 gigs a month, what carrier and how do you use it. There are a number of ways to deal with it depending on where you are going. With a $15 T-Mobile hotspot we will stream as much as 60 gigs of pandora, netflix, you tube, ect. There are no data charges for those. Cricket is unlimited on AT&T native but it's on the phone only, no tethering. Outside of the 3G verizon hotspots, that amount of Verizon high speed is going to be approaching the cost of a grandfather unlimited account.

So it depends on what you need. Start with the monthlies like insurance, car payments, phone, etc. Once you know what you have to pay you can see how much you have left with in that $1000 a month. Don't forget to put something into the emergency fund too.

I was budgeting about 700 a month. That included everything. Some months I'd go over and some months I stayed under. Mostly it depended on gas and eating out. I think I am frugal. but only so I can do want I want, when I want.

I say *was* because I just upgraded my data plan. It's about $750 now.