What I Do

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter

Reaction score
I bought a small cooler with a spout on the bottom to drain out water.&nbsp; I plan to use that cold water for all my water needs (water my cat, cook with, bathe if I warm it up, doing dishes, etc...), the ice of course keeps things cold without a need for a power source, and provides me with ice for my drinks (I strongly prefer a drink with ice and a straw, so I have some plastic cups with screw on lids and plastic straws that are reusable and washable) and there's enough room in the cooler to hold about a week's worth of items that need to stay cold.&nbsp; So for me, this works well, and I think when I get ready to upgrade, I will just get a bigger cooler rather than getting an actual fridge.&nbsp; I also bought a small crock pot that plugs into the cigarette lighter (am looking for a reusable/washable crock pot liner), as well as a grilled sandwich maker that plugs into the cigarette lighter.&nbsp; I might opt for the plug in frying pan and a steamer in the future.&nbsp; I do not want to use propane because of the fumes.&nbsp; If it's cold/hot, I do not want to let outside uncomfortable air in if I am nice and toasty, or comfortably cool.&nbsp; I also made a down payment on a very comfortable pillow top twin mattress.<br>

Microwaves! That's my solution. Even run from 12 volts at times since most of my microwave dishes run 90 seconds to 2 minutes heating time. Augmented by a 120 volt single cup heater for tea. Microwave, BTW, is 1,000 watt with 1500 watt start surge. Inverter has 2000 watt max. rating. See "Stealty Solar" tab at left.<br><br>I also have a two burner&nbsp;40-year old Sears propane stove when waaay out there in the boonies.&nbsp;<br>