What do you keep in your rooftop storage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
Hello, all. I've been checking out the vehicles in my neighborhood to figure out what would work for me, and have noticed that a lot of the mini-vans and SUVs around here have those hard-side rooftop storage containers (mostly Thule brand).

The idea of rooftop storage seems sensible, but I have to say, those things don't look like they hold much. Now, I looked at Thule's website, so I know there are different sizes, and that they're designed to be aerodynamic - but I've never seen any in person that look deep enough to hold more than a few pieces of dirty laundry. Plus, I wonder just how secure and burglar- or vandal-proof they really are.

If you use rooftop storage in your rig, would you enlighten me by sharing what you stash in there? It's not just because I'm puzzled and curious -- if I could gain some insight, it might help me plan ahead. Thanks!

they are not that big because you don't want a lot of weight up there. every pound you put up there raises your center of gravity. they are meant for light weight stuff like clothes and bedding. the racks and containers all have a weight rating and most cars have a rating for roof racks. highdesertranger

I just wanna know what people use them for, as they're pretty pricey. Curious about what fits inside, what type of stuff a person wouldn't mind storing outside of their vehicle, if they're truly weather-proof, if it's a bit of a hassle to store stuff up there or has it made life easier, whether a storage container on the back door hitch area is better than on the roof - and so on.

It is just an extra space option.

I mean people just use this for whatever extra stuff they do want to carry with them, you put in whatever the heck ya want or what is important to you to be carrying with ya :)

An friend from long ago used one for his fishing junk. he put in his fishing float thing he used, life jacket, his hand paddle, his tackle boxes and nets and other gear to hold. something he would not 'need' on a daily basis for access...he got to camp and unloaded it and would then repack to take home. His rods he kept in the car with him...….so that might give ya an idea of what one might be used for.

any storage off the hitch etc is great if you need that option also. you can have both if wanted :)

storage is a biggie for some in a smaller vehicle, just depends on how much storage you do require and put junk in it if needed.

As Roamer said, whatever you need but not regularly. Can you get to it to use it is a big question too. Hitch hauls can be nice too but limit the access to your vehicle from the rear. Everything is a trade off. How much "stuff" do you need to carry?

Yes, it's obvious that rooftop storage is used for whatever extra stuff one cannot fit inside their vehicle, or for things used less frequently. Of course.  However, as I said, because of their streamlined shape and limited sizes, I simply want to know specifics about their holding capacity and what people store in them, from those who use them.

for the capacities you need to look on the websites as they are all different and as I stated before your vehicle has a maximum load for a roof top carrier. my box is huge and it could easily be over loaded especially for a smaller vehicle. mine is not streamlined at all. it's a big plastic box. I keep mine full of dredge and high-banker hoses. hundreds of feet of hoses. highdesertranger

I thought you mostly did dry washing?  What size dredge do you use?

I have two 4 inch dredges and my high-banker can be converted into a 3 inch dredge. I can do every type of prospecting.

but we are derailing this thread, so lets get back to the original topic.

highdesertranger

One of the best uses I have heard of it is using it to store your dirty laundry and garbage so it does not stink up the vehicle.

My daughter and her family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids, use their Thule storage for sleeping bags, pillows, suitcase and duffel bags of clothes and the kids scooters. They use plastic storage bins for food and cookware stored in the van. They store tent and canopy in the van and 4 bicycles on the back.

Tthings to consider:
  1. they will make your vehicle a little more top heavy.
  2. they will reduce your gas milage. 
  3. everything put in them will have to be lifted above your head.
  4. may cause annoying wind noise.

I used one for a tent (sometimes put away wet), small propane bottles that I didn't want in the car, extra clothing not used much, extra sleeping bag, rope, climbing gear.  Basically small stuff I either didn't use much or didn't want inside the car.

Thule boxes lock and are as secure as any other lockable, lightweight plastic box.  You need locks to lock the box and lock the roof rack to the vehicle.

CityWoman said:
Yes, it's obvious that rooftop storage is used for whatever extra stuff one cannot fit inside their vehicle, or for things used less frequently.  Of course.  However, as I said, because of their streamlined shape and limited sizes, I simply want to know specifics about their holding capacity and what people store in them, from those who use them.

from those who use them......….not happy with the responses? :) you do know that rooftop storage truly isn't rocket science in any way.   I mean you buy the size that would fit your personal junk.  Use it as your personal use and as you would see fit.  I don't think it is that complicated at all actually and you have gotten fab responses to your original post.

I think most people use the storage when they go on vacation. They don't keep the box on top of the roof for daily driving or living.

I use mine for skis, kayaking gear, camping stuff, etc. It stays on about 60% of the time. I love t and it gets a lot of use. I think I paid around $200 on Amazon about 8 years ago.

61551087_10218858564312517_5300532479885574144_o.jpg

I've got a really ugly vintage StorMor. In the beginning I got so disgusted with the look of it that I put a sign on it: "My StorMor can beat up your Thule/Yakima, AND it's on the Dean's List at the local university!!"

Seriously, I love my StorMor. I got it from a lady in Laguna Niguel (CA) for 40 bucks. Her elderly father used it to rock climb in Joshua Tree with his buddies waaay back in the day. He stored his gear there. That makes it special to me. It holds TONS of stuff. I learned to keep mostly my clothes up there, and other lightweight stuff (linens, pillow, blankets, etc.)

my friend just got a used one, nice box but it leaks. I will be addressing that with some of the butyl rubber rope caulk pushed in behind the rubber edge seal to fill in the voids. Over time the rubber edge seals can deform a bit. But that rope caulk can easily solve the issue without having to buy new seals.

My first Van had a luggage carrier when Dad gave it to me.  Grand Dad was an upholsterer and made a yellow canvas
zippered bag that sit in in it and even made it so it had an overlap flap to cover the zipper in the event of rain while I was driving.  I cut a piece of Masonite to fit inside the bottom of it.  Used bungee cords to hold it in place.

It was one of those nice thoughts that didn't really see a lot of use. Kind of like an attic of a house to stow the stuff you think you will use.....someday. 

I carried a blue plastic screen house which I only used a few times.  Unless you are staying awhile it isn't worth the trouble, or if bugs are really bad where you're going it could be nice to have along.  I kept various other items in labeled cardboard boxes stowed in the canvas rooftop carrier. 

For week end and vacationers,  it is easy to go overloaded.  I'ts not homesteading.  But if I were going to be on the road a month or more,  I'd have my camping list filled (Van Conversion Site below page 6)  and sorted for what should go on the roof or be kept inside the Van.  

If you are just going to travel,  travel light.  Dollar stores are everywhere (east of the Mississippi) and you can buy as needed for a lot of supplies.  If you are going to set up for long periods in the wilderness then pack provisions for it. 
(where a roof carrier may make sense)

Latest posts