What did you forget to bring to the last RTR?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
Is there anything you forgot to bring to the last RTR that you won't forget this time? In terms of attire, footwear, hygiene supplies or anything else you can remember? I am especially interested in comments from people who came in cars or tented last year? I know some of you showered at the laundry in town or have certain hacks you use to keep clean. Also in the area of food/water and other supplies- what did you lacK? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

A REALLY lightweight chair to carry easily on the walk over to the main area for seminars and to evening campfires.

A red flashlight so as not to blind people while walking around at night.

Sunscreen

Add a hide-a-key on your vehicle and bring a car battery jump-starter if you have one.  There were a few peeps with dead batteries and a few that lost keys or locked themselves out of their vehicles.

Love the baby style wipes and "no rinse foaming body cleanser" which works on hair as well.  I found on Amazon.

"Contact" cards with your info in order to easily share your phone/email/etc. with people you meet.

A pen/notepad at the ready to note new info

I am planning on chilly nights/early mornings and warm- ish days, so layers! Desert friendly footwear i.e. sneakers, boots and ugg-style comfies. Just be comfortable.

All the water I can carry and easy to prepare non-perishable foods like soups, 90 second rice, and other canned veggies and fruits.

Last year was a blast!  Keep in mind it is no big deal to easily pop into town to re-supply or pick up anything you discover you might need.  It also wouldn't be surprising if your neighbors loaned or gave you whatever you might need!

I hope this helps - see ya @RTR2019

Note-
I am trying to come up with a way to store trash in my rig until I can properly dispose of it..maybe some type of sealed container to store full (grocery bag) trash bags as I go along? I haven't figured that out yet, but am thinking about ways to minimize how much trash I generate.

Note-
I am trying to come up with a way to store trash in my rig until I can properly dispose of it..maybe some type of sealed container to store full (grocery bag) trash bags as I go along? I haven't figured that out yet, but am thinking about ways to minimize how much trash I generate.

I think someone stated that there would be a dumpster available this year for those registered, and staying.

Ckelly,

Thanks! I did hear that as well, and am thrilled Bob is doing that but not sure if it will be enough for so many people, so am workin' on a back- up plan.  After posting, I thought what about a small trash can with lid or if any of those collapsible bins have lids?  I think I have seen those with zippered tops...I will have to look into that.

Also want to mention a battery operated lantern was really helpful to me last year. 

And I brought a packable rain jacket. I didn't use it last year, but will bring again just in case.

In the afternoon usually just pull a headlamp down around my neck. That way I don’t forget if away from home when the sun goes down. In the dusk when still ok to walk, can turn on and use from neck to look at something. Finally put on head when need both hands. Many have the red beam option.

a word about the Porta-Potties and the dumpster. these are costing Bob a small fortune. please follow the use instruction that will be laid out. the transfer station in town is free. if you have to run to town for anything there is no reason you can't take your trash. I forget how much it cost to empty the dumpster but it was several thousand bucks. the porta-potty cost is over 10K. so do what you can to minimize their use. thanks in advance for being low impact, considerate RTR'ers. highdesertranger

ssminnow said:
Bring a head lamp, it leaves both hands free and the Batteries last a long time!
Once you try it you won't go back to hauling around a flashlight, they are the cat's meow! :)
https://www.amazon.com/Foxelli-Head...=UTF8&qid=1545322732&sr=8-5&keywords=headlamp

sure, they are the cats me-owe till someone wearing one walk up and looks you in the eye to try and talk to you and blinds you in the process. even the red leds when you get hit right in the eyes makes it so you cant see who is blinding you.

head lamps are great but not the end all be all

i prefer a hand held so i can shine my light where i want and not feel bad about blinding folks i am trying to meet

a full moon would be best but not this year... lol

Unless you have a very good sense of direction you might want to have some unique, highly visible way to spot your rig in the crowd, especially in the dark.

Like this?

a6bbd948e4bda5feabc4820851532e1c.jpg

check this out my buddy who has a Tiger 4x4 motorhome has aircraft strobe light on top this is so you can find it in the dark. you can literally see it for miles. it even has a S.O.S. mode. highdesertranger

I got a strobe also so I guess we have a 50/50 chance of meeting up?

yup, the secrete is out. gonna be 500 strobes out there this year and i wont be able to find my rig. now if i could just find a "stealth" strobe...

If you have two mobile phones could leave one, volume turned way up, in van then call it from the other. Works best if you are parked close to others and you are coming back after midnight.

Hundreds of thousands of RVers flock to the area of Q in January. The best way to avoid Q's heavy traffic is do your shopping, tank dumping, etc. at 8 A.M., while most of the RVing masses are still getting some shuteye.

I sure hope the caravan thing works out well as I may try those instead of fighting a crowd. I really, really hate crowds almost as much as the cold.

the caravans will be at the RTR, so you're not missing any crowds. this has been said before, at the RTR you can be as crowded or as isolated as you want. highdesertranger