What are you reading?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading some Sue Grafton detective novels. I missed reading the last two she wrote before she passed away. I will likely also download some of the earlier ones from my library as it has been a lot of years since I read most of them.

IMG_2741.jpeg

“China has evolved a model of democratic meritocracy that is morally desirable and politically stable.“

Westerners tend to divide the political world into
“good” democracies and “bad” authoritarian regimes. But the Chinese political model does not fit neatly in either category. Over the past three decades, China has evolved a political system that can best be described as “political meritocracy.” The China Model seeks to understand the ideals and the reality of this unique political system. How do the ideals of political meritocracy set the standard for evaluating political progress (and regress) in China? How can China avoid the disadvantages of political meritocracy? And how can political meritocracy best be combined with both democracy and a free enterprise economy? The author addresses and seeks answers to these questions and more.

Last edited:
I am on Book 4 of the Penn Cage novels, and tho very good this one and the last are rather grim.

Book 3 involved taking down a dog fighting ring, and some of those pages I had to flip thru.

Book 4 has to do with Natchez, the Klan, civil rights issues in that area during the 1960’s, etc., and is equally difficult in places to read.

But, they are interesting and well written, so I’m getting thru them in sequence, before I go on to anything else.

By coincidence, another terrific mystery in which the main hero is old.
What Rose Forgot, by Nevada Barr
https://search.worldcat.org/title/1091237399
The author is a former National Park Service ranger who is best known for her series taking place in different national parks and featuring ranger Anna Pigeon. This is a stand-alone novel. All of Barr's novels are good but I thought this one was brilliant.

Last edited:
I gave away my "Clan of the cave bear" books so now I am trying to find some audio books as I have found I work out harder at the gym with books rather than music but the first book gets to chapter 21 and then the rest of the book disappears... I will go to my library and find out if it is something I can download from them I am guessing I can.. I have been rereading some of the books I loved in my teens and younger. I find it interesting how corny some of them are.

IMG_2804.jpeg

This book should more accurately be titled The History of Western Political Philosophy as it references no one from an Asian contribution or perspective.

At almost 1000 pages, It includes Essays regarding the ideas of some 40ish political thinkers from Plato to Martin Heidegger covering a period of some 2500 years.

Its not a story to be read perse’ in a traditional way but it’s a book I refer to often when I’m looking for the origins of certain political & social theories.

Last edited:
Your
I gave away my "Clan of the cave bear" books so now I am trying to find some audio books as I have found I work out harder at the gym with books rather than music but the first book gets to chapter 21 and then the rest of the book disappears... I will go to my library and find out if it is something I can download from them I am guessing I can.. I have been rereading some of the books I loved in my teens and younger. I find it interesting how corny some of them are.
Your library, if in the USA, will
Almost certainly have a website where using your library card and a PIN number you can check out ebooks on the internet. The App Libby has become the most frequently used app for downloading and reading ebooks and listening to audio books.

But while traveling, even without a library card in a local library they often have shelves full of audio books on CDs. I can take in my laptop that has a built in disc player or connected to a disc player via USB and using “burner” software program copy that audio book to my laptop or a thumb drive for one time PERSONAL USE ONLY listening.

Just finished this article about the "50 Greatest Coming of Age Novels".

When I first traveled with my van to find a career after graduating, it was my coming of age on the road. I encountered things I wasn't expecting much less ready for. But I was able to cope and grow from the experiences. I soon learned that each day I could put some miles behind me and start anew, building layers of experience that helped me to make the transition from a weary school boy to an aspiring young adult.

Everyone will have his or her own coming of age story but these are some novels readers may find kindred spirit within.

This list with a brief abstract of each may hold some interest for other readers here.

The 50 Greatest Coming-of-Age Novels

Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper
The true story of one man's reluctant but relentless war against the invaders of his country.A quiet, wealthy plantation owner, Jack Hinson watched the start of the Civil War with disinterest. Opposed to secession and a friend to Union and Confederate commanders alike, he did not want a war. After Union soldiers seized and murdered his sons, placing their decapitated heads on the gateposts of his estate, Hinson could remain indifferent no longer. He commissioned a special rifle for long-range accuracy, he took to the woods, and he set out for revenge. This remarkable biography presents the story of Jack Hinson, a lone Confederate sniper who, at the age of 57, waged a personal war on Grant's army and navy. The result of 15 years of scholarship, this meticulously researched and beautifully written work is the only account of Hinson's life ever recorded and involves an unbelievable cast of characters, including the Earp brothers, Jesse James, and Nathan Bedford Forrest., Jack Hinson never planned to become a deadly sniper. A prosperous and influential Kentucky plantation owner in the 1850s, Hinson was devoted to raising his growing family and working his land. Yet by 1865, Hinson had likely killed more than one hundred men and had single-handedly taken down an armed Union transport in his one-man war against Grant's army and navy. By the end of the Civil War, the Union had committed infantry and cavalry from nine regiments and a specially equipped amphibious task force of marines to capture Hinson, who was by that time nearly sixty years old. They never caught him. Since then, the story of Jack Hinson has evaded astute historians, and until now, he has remained invisible in the history of sniper warfare. John S. "Old Jack" Hinson watched the start of the Civil War with impartial disinterest. A friend of Ulysses S. Grant and Confederate officers alike, Hinson was opposed to secession, focused instead on his personal affairs. After a unit of Union occupation troops moved in on his land and summarily captured, executed, and placed the decapitated heads of his sons on his gateposts, however, Hinson abandoned his quiet life for one of revenge. In this unprecedented and incredible biography, Lt. Col. Tom C. McKenney masterfully recounts Hinson's extraordinary feats as a lone Confederate sniper. Equipped with a rifle he had specially made for long-range accuracy, Hinson became a deadly gadfly to the occupying army. An exemplary piece of historical scholarship and the result of fifteen years of research, this definitive biography includes an amazing cast of characters including the Earp Brothers, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and Jesse James, the cousin of Hinson's wife. This breathtaking story was all but destroyed by the obliterating forces of history and is the only account in print chronicling this one man's impact on the Civil War.

Cass Hite, the James’s cousin, was the inspiration for the book Asa Carter wrote that was the basis for the Eastwood movie about people from Kentucky during that period of time. One of the reasons fate made me end up in Utah! Lol!!! Interesting lives. There are a lot of people that try to isolate themselves from the rest of the country’s problems in that area. For years the rest of the country wanted to isolate themselves from them as most were poor immigrants mainly trying to make an independent life free of “government” as all government had done for them was persecute them in the past and present. For most family was the biggest influence in their lives. Large out of the area money took the timber then coal, gas and oil as well as polluting the river, streams and air leaving a large portion of unhealthy, poorly educated, bankrupt people to drag down the the economy and people that remain. A lot like the big cities except large industrial cities had more resources that many migrated to like Pittsburgh and Detroit for work. Funny, I guess a lot like the immigrants coming to this country now if we allow corporations to control the rest of the world and this country as well. Eventually everywhere will be Kentucky! Lol!!! In my opinin probably serves them right for not paying attention.

Last edited:
It goes way back before coal and continues today with chemicals as the Ohio River is cheap transport and railways are plentiful yet poorly maintained. Cheap labor and willing workers has always been a factor as well. Many of the original explorers were running from rules or regulations of governing bodies and willing to deal with Native Americans rather than government officials, laws and taxes they could not afford. It is interesting history and reading. Simon Kenton’s life especially as his life changed and government came to Kentucky. The Shawnee’s struggles are a good read as well.

What is the book you are reading?
Allen W. Eckert “The Frontiersmen” but this is only one of the books he has written about early history in the region. All are pretty good and footnoted if I remember correctly. Kenton has also been written about by someone by his last name but I haven’t read it yet. When I read it I was able to identify several local landmarks from the books description which made it much more interesting as I grew up in Kentucky on the Ohio River. As far as Asa Carter you may have to look for Buford Carter as he was head of the KKK and used an alias. An interesting character but gives a different view point in his books. Cass Hite was a project of mine researched mainly by hours of searching old newspaper articles of the time in Utah, Sons of the South articles and Quantrill’s Raiders which his father and cousins the James were associated with. Mason jars of twenty dollar gold pieces buried at the time and Navajo silver peaked my interest as it did Jack Merrick who was killed by the Navajos in 1880 in Utah. Cass Hite lived out his life a valued friend of the Navajo on the Colorado River in remote Utah 20 miles or so from where I’ve spent the last 18 years or so.

Last edited:
Black Pill: How I Witnessed the Darkest Corners of the Internet Come to Life, Poison Society, and Capture American Politics, by Elle Reeve
https://search.worldcat.org/title/1417406748
It's very readable. The chapters are related but you could also read them as stand-alones if you don't feel like reading the whole book.
It says a lot about the different ways that people get caught up in (and sometimes leave) extremist movements.