What are you having for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Invited over to my mother's house. Chicken stir-fry with plenty of veggies, plus rice. Skipped the rice. Been experimenting with 18/6 fasting to lose weight, low carb, even working toward ****, so I passed on the rice. Good stir-fry otherwise.

Gotta get my sprouts going again now that it's spring.

tonight is monster rack of ribs. That's it. I will eat a ton of them and enjoy every darn one of them :)

Yesterday I conducted an experiment. When my iron is low I crave iron rich food stuffs. (Never got the concept of craving ice chips when anaemic. But I'm no scientist)

So I had some hor douerves. Sorry yall. I ain't googling the spelling this time. I'll go Fred G. Sanford on yall if I have to and call them horse divers.

Canned smoked oysters on crackers. With garlic powder, chipotle Tabasco sauce, and sriracha sauce.

I read on the label these smaller cans had significantly lower levels of iron as the ones I'd bought previously. I didnt remember the proportions but knew it was at MOST half the size. The nutritional content showed like 1/32 of the amount of iron as my usual brand per serving. The servings seemed to be consistent with a normal serving. Then I noticed something. The new smaller package was rated in X amounts of servings. The other brand was rated in the total weight of the container. That includes the oil. The other was only the meat being tested. The oil was waste. Iron is a fat soluble vitamin. I.E. throw out the oil throw out the nutrition. So I stirred the oyster oil into a can of remarkably non greasy chili. Stirred it in and made chilitos. (If you've never had a chilito I weep for your loss. Chili cheese Burrito)

There was a slightly noticeable oyster saucey type flavor but otherwise negligible. I seem to be suffering from inadequacies in obtaining fats and cholesterol from my diet lately. How viable is it to include cottonseed oil etc oil to your diet? How frequently?

Discuss.

Strongly discourage against cottonseed oil. This is certainly in the running and may be the worst oil of all. Cotton is not a human-consumable product. Therefore, farmers feel free to use extremely toxic chemicals against it.

In a way they would never consider, the long-term cosequences weren't optimistic.

Recently I had this for dinner.  I didn't much care for it but a female friend of mine saw it in a Woman's World or First for women magazine and was so charmed with it she said she would buy the ingredients if I'd make it.

Salmon, Gnocchi, (potato dumplings) Alfredo sauce, sliced cucumber, pesto, and fresh dill. 

The fish if pan fried well and separated from the skin and then cut into cubes. 

The Gnocchi is boiled until it floats to the surface.

The Cuke cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.

The Alfredo heated in a large skillet and thinned some with the water the Gnocchi was boiled in. 

The Cukes and fish are added to this and cooked until the Cukes are soft.

Garlic Salt and pepper are the seasonings called for.

When plated Pesto is dotted over the top and fresh dill is held above and snipped with scissors to cover lightly.

She liked it but was disappointed that I wasn't so taken with it.   But I think women seem to like trendy stuff that some Celebrity Chef dreamed up.  

Now,

If I were to make this again.........for myself........I'd leave the Cukes out,  the Pesto in the fridge, and slice a white onion into rings.

I'd proceed with the Alfredo, fish, and Gnocchi and sprinkle it with Old Bay or something.

I'd put the Cukes & Onions in a bowl and add vinegar & water, garlic, some sugar,  and snip the fresh dill over that to make a Cuke & Onion salad. 

These would be served beside each other.

Yes,  I know it's all going to wind up in the same place.  But to me, how it gets there makes all the difference in what we call dinner.  :rolleyes:

eDJ_ said:
Yes,  I know it's all going to wind up in the same place.  But to me, how it gets there makes all the difference in what we call dinner.  :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I dont like fish but I can see where that might be a little off putting. If it didnt matter how we served it we could just put a burger, fries, and chocolate shake in a blender and drink it. Might be good that way but I wouldnt try it.

Went to golden corral right at the end of breakfast so had a big breakfast and a big lunch all for one price. So dinner tonight will probably be nothing. Or maybe a light snack.

Golden Corral...the best 14 dollar night of steak eating you can get in the USA.

:)

(Don't forget to save the gristle and fat chunks for the doggies back home.)

They want it all.

(...and they KNOW by your scent what you were up to.)

Wow if golden corral here let you take a doggy bag home I'd shut em down. My favorite thing from there IS the steak and the meat in the pot roast. Also the bourbon chicken. Then for dessert a salad with iceberg lettuce, black olives, red onions, mushrooms, and full fat ranch.

I dont much care for the sweets.

Went to mother's house today and made her a spiralizer salad. Carrot and zucchini "noodles" mixed in with rice noodles, cilantro, green onions, peppermint, and an Asian-spiced viniagrette I threw together. Topped with super-thin slices of a pork tenderloin I baked, thin enough to just fold into your mouth. She's not a big eater but she had thirds of the noodles, which must be a good sign. I'd left the "noodles" and veggie mixture to marinate for half an hour in the dressing, in the fridge, before serving.

The spiralizer was pretty fun to use, but not the easiest thing to do. The finished product , all mixed together, looked great, though, and I would not have gone to the trouble to do it by hand, so it was worth doing that way.

heck yea on hitting Golden Corral on changeover from breakfast to lunch buffet is fab!!
I eat a ton of bacon! Along with any other meats. I am extreme low carb person so the bacon and eggs etc I hit is a side dish to my other meats I eat along with the 'fake but absolutely delish' crab salad they have on the salad bar. It ain't the best thing I could ever eat for health but the taste, omgosh I love the fake whatever is in that stuff! :) :) hey we all got our junk food we have to consume LOL

tonight is big old pork loin on the grill with a side of garlic butter shrimp.

I made a Spinach Salad tonight.  When at the Grocery Store Sunday afternoon they had marked some big boxes of baby spinach down to a buck fifty and I grabbed one.  I had bacon, eggs, red onions, canola oil, apple cider vinegar and a box of Herb flavored dressing at home along with my condiments & spices.  

I go off on salads from time to time and have a Tupperware bowl that's about 16 inches in diameter and stands about 8 inches tall with a tight gripping lid.  

We are in a cool spell that the old timers call "blackberry winter". (happens each year when the blackberries are in bloom)  So I put the big bowl outside up high so it would be safe from the raccoon's,  should they get a whiff of it.  But if they're going to get any they  better  bring dynamite and a crane cause I really stashed it well.

lunch-bowl-of-spinach-salad-with-bacon--mushrooms--eggs-and-red-onions-918822184-5ad49ca130371...jpg

(photo edited to smaller size by moderator)

Attachments

• lunch-bowl-of-spinach-salad-with-bacon--mushrooms--eggs-and-red-onions-918822184-5ad49ca130371...jpg
    lunch-bowl-of-spinach-salad-with-bacon--mushrooms--eggs-and-red-onions-918822184-5ad49ca130371...jpg
    166 KB · Views: 3
Last night I had a medium sized margherita pizza. I'd never had one before and Wally world had a few pizzas on markdown. I could have gotten a medium pepperoni for 2.50 or an extra large cheese for 2.87 I think... the margherita pizza was $4 (originally $8) Not cheap but just trying something new.

I baked it in a convection toaster oven on shore power and it turned out beautifully. I had meant to slice some onions and put them on but I'm glad I didnt. The combo of fresh mozzarella and shredded mozzarella were a treasure.

tonight is sautéed chicken with a little broccoli in alfredo sauce. with fresh delish parm cheese! yum

Sounds good. Last night I dined on 30 cents. Plus shipping and handling.

At Wally world where I got yesterdays pizza on markdown I was looking thru the bakery mark downs and saw the lady had pulled all of the everything breads. I asked if I could take one. She said yes I'm just marking them down. It was already on markdown. It went from 60 cents to 30 cents.

Score. I toasted the entire split loaf with a stick of butter and garlic powder. A little oregano dipped in spaghetti sauce. I ate the whole lot.

Tonight might be eggplant parmesan but I've had tomato sauce 3 days in a row. So maybe some macaroni and cheese.

it always feels good to score a great markdown :)

tonight is simple
big old cheeseburger patties from the grill and a monster side of bacon to eat with them.

eDJ_ said:
Recently I had this for dinner.  I didn't much care for it but a female friend of mine saw it in a Woman's World or First for women magazine and was so charmed with it she said she would buy the ingredients if I'd make it.

Salmon, Gnocchi, (potato dumplings) Alfredo sauce, sliced cucumber, pesto, and fresh dill. 

The fish if pan fried well and separated from the skin and then cut into cubes. 

The Gnocchi is boiled until it floats to the surface.

The Cuke cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.

The Alfredo heated in a large skillet and thinned some with the water the Gnocchi was boiled in. 

The Cukes and fish are added to this and cooked until the Cukes are soft.

Garlic Salt and pepper are the seasonings called for.

When plated Pesto is dotted over the top and fresh dill is held above and snipped with scissors to cover lightly.

She liked it but was disappointed that I wasn't so taken with it.   But I think women seem to like trendy stuff that some Celebrity Chef dreamed up.  

Now,

If I were to make this again.........for myself........I'd leave the Cukes out,  the Pesto in the fridge, and slice a white onion into rings.

I'd proceed with the Alfredo, fish, and Gnocchi and sprinkle it with Old Bay or something.

I'd put the Cukes & Onions in a bowl and add vinegar & water, garlic, some sugar,  and snip the fresh dill over that to make a Cuke & Onion salad. 

These would be served beside each other.

Yeah, cukes are a texture, not a flavor, ingredient.  They make for something you are happy to crunch on and enjoy the high water content.  Splish splash, my mouth is taking a crunchy bath ... but the flavor comes from elsewhere.

Plain gnocchi plus cukes sounds ... meh.  The garlic should help a ton, at least if it's fresh.  But still ... there is basically nothing with its own texture added that isn't super-bland itself(cukes).   Salmon, some spices, wilted spongy tasteless veg ... mmm ... ehhh... muhhh... just not feelin' it. 

Your salad suggestion is the way to go by far.  I'd have coated the gnocchi in some caramelized onion, plus garlic gently browned, a little soy sauce, any number of other flavors/sauces from there if necessary.  Maybe a little squirt of acid, like some lemon juice, rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, to lift the savory flavors a bit and give them some breathing room ...

today I am fasting. Day 2.
day 1 went fab. beef broth and chicken broth and zero vitamin water I love to drink :)

I do 3 day fasts cause they make me feel fabulous! Literally! I know others can't do it or don't want to but for me, a 3 day liquid fast is just wonderful...…..so dinner tonight is beef broth, snack is chicken broth and drink all the water and zero vitamin water (orange flavor I love love love) to suit me.

crazy post I know but fasting liquids is what is for dinner tonight :)

That's great. I do like a nice beef broth. Do you make your own or use concentrates or powdered broth?

Fasting has always seemed alien to me but I knew quite a few Muslim people when I worked in a major retail store and near the end of Ramadan they always looked so healthy. In fact I was invited to the mosque a few times as well as to a celebratory feast after.

Tonight is gonna be boring. Last night was also boring. Bologna sandwiches.  Tonight probably a frozen dinner or canned soup.

It depends, sometimes I make my own, a lot of times I buy a good organic one from the store. Or I might even open up a can of Progresso beef pot roast soup and drain the contents and drink the broth LOL

It just makes me feel wonderful. Keeps me in extreme deep ketosis, which is where I want to be all the time and gives the body a chance to rest from digestion etc. All the good benefits I love....good feeling from it for sure.

don't get me wrong, some days are hard LOL I only tackle a 3 day fast when in that zone of knowing I am in the mood to do it and get thru it. Smells/sights of food around me can be tough when the family eats.

but today is my last day, I will get thru ok easily and tomorrow eat lighter coming back into my extreme low carb eating.

you know the older I get the less I like food. I hate cooking! I was never a baker! I never like the time it took chained in a kitchen to create a real recipe from scratch etc! I hate the bloaty stuffed feeling of bigger carby meals make me so sluggy. Sugar highs and lows, gone now for good. I just needed to change up the food and gain control over all the ick out there. Keeping it super simple is best for me now, how I want to roll.

Yea all those bologna sandwiches and boring chow....get out the grill and go for a nice rack of ribs or a big old steak or some yummy chicken thighs if ya can! I know a good BBQ puts a heck of a smile on my face :)

No doubt! Bbq is great. My modified upright smoker had 1 more season left in it 3 years ago. Haha. It would still work in a pinch I suppose. I should get a new one but a walk over to where my brothers camp is like I did last night will keep me satisfied. He used to cook on his brick smoker grill every non rainy day. Even some rainy ones.

Last night was smoke roasted stuffed bell peppers. Tonight idk yet. Maybe soup. I have a pack of crackers to eat before they go stale so maybe some chunky sirloin burger soup. Lots a taters and tasty tasty burger bits.

It's funny you say that about liking food less as you age. I'm the same way so I try new and exciting foods. Curries and things like that. Exotic flavors I didnt know existed when I was a kid. Although I'm feeling the mood return for a big ole pot of pinto beans and cornbread. I'll definitely make some when vidalia onions come in season. Pintos, corn bread, turnip greens, and a slice of vidalia onion is a sinful pleasure for me. Always has been.