Weight loss

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
Since my wife and I started traveling back in June I have lost 37 lbs and going. It's not a bad thing as I have plenty I want to lose. We've made dietary mistakes while on the road and now eat much healthier. We have quickly noticed some of our food choices in the past we're a slow suicide and now we eat without having to need a cooler or stove. We're also eating low sodium foods and try to eat less than recommended daily amount which is 2320 mg of sodium per day. We also quit drinking soda, coffee and caffeinated drinks.
Has anyone else noticed these type changes when you first started?

I've just started out and I am finding it difficult to get in a healthy food grove, especially since it is hot out and I don't want to cook. Gas stations seem to stock all my favorites which is hard to resist! I'd be interested to hear more about some of the no cook, no fridge healthy foods you eat as my eating, and waistline, has so far trended in the wrong direction!

Since solar and storage space is very limited to me and I only have a small fridge I've been wondering how to maximize and adjust my eating habits.

Would you mind sharing what you prepare routinely without a fridge or cooker?

I'm sitting here thinking and the only thing I can think of is dried fruits and nuts..lol..v maybe a few fruits and veggies that don't need cooling.

My non fridge/cooker supplies would be.. chips.. jerky.. MTN dew and jelly beans... please help.:)

I buy cans of low sodium chicken which I mix with a choice of condiments such as honey mustard, mayonnaise, ranch and buffalo chicken sauces. Also add small package of bacon to it when I used ranch or mayo occasionally. We also bring tuna, canned roast beef (although has higher sodium) as a treat meal.
Cereal bars, granola, fruit cups, etc. As for cheese we bring grated parmesan/romano and small package of Velveeta.
We're still learning on what types of other food options would work best for us and are expanding our dietary choices. I also make my own trail mix which is a bit indulgent but filling.
I use roasted and honey peanuts, peanut butter M&Ms, sunflower seeds, crispy M&Ms, yogurt covered raisins, salted caramel peanuts and occasionally rye crisps.
We use honey wheat and white bread as well as flour tortillas.

TravelingZombies said:
I also make my own trail mix which is a bit indulgent but filling.
I sometimes make trail mix as well. I used honey roasted peanuts as well. Then honey nut cheerios (store brand usually) and raisins. If there is a sale that week on honey bunches of oats or the store brand of them I add that as well. 

Its good to just veg out and be lazy sometimes and snack on something that's healthy. Far more nutritious than crunching on potato chips while trying to relax.

I plan on doing nutritious supplements like Athletic Greens , that I purposely got for this lifestyle change… I think I’m going to eat out more than cook in the beginning of this change….but the Athletic Greens is easy nutrition that I just add to water & shake in a bottle ….

Hopefully this lifestyle will be healthier for me with lack of access to a fully stocked refrigerator & freezer & cupboards .

Super happy for you!! Health is key to life point blank and all the 'ick food out there' is just gonna kill ya sooner OR it is gonna make you one of those 'on medicine and feeling miserable for alot of years to come' and I refuse to live that way.

I am 'carnivore'. Zero carb. I won't go into it but for me it was the best life I could lead for true health for ME....but thing is ALL the crap you drop from your life will always be a winner truly and if you want more years healthy, you think alot before you put all that other processed ick crap into your mouth :)

Love you are losing some lbs, feeling better and want change.....just keep moving forward for sure....our health is ALL any of us truly have for any quality life, it should have some priority for sure!!

Happy for you guys!!

I was doing okay maintaining my previously-achieved weight loss back when I was on the road. I settled into a routine of getting an Americano each morning at a coffee kiosk, adding stevia for sweetener, eating a clif bar for breakfast. After a while I knew it was important to me to have one warm meal a day, for sanity's sake. With no kitchen in my van, I would warm up a Lean Cuisine dinner in my Hot Logic Mini - it took about 3-4 hours to warm up the unopened box. Sometimes I stopped at a subway for a deli sandwich, that was nice. Aside from all that I don't remember what I was eating. I liked drinking bottled spring water. My weight stayed down - or maybe I was losing more. Everything was fine until Covid hit while I was in Happy Camp, and I gained a little while in isolation. Then the fire, and I was evacuated to Yreka and eating Red Cross meals, and feeling a little sorry for myself, I started getting a blended mocha everyday... and gradually bad eating habits returned one by one. My weight now is exactly where I started before I ever tried to diet in the first place. I'd like to get back to traveling and get back on the diet I had then.

We all have our guilty pleasures, for instance. We're at home base right now waiting to get repairs done on my truck. The day we got home the first thing I did was order a pizza with hamburger, pepperoni, bacon and ham. Yum
I noticed this time the effects had on me as I was more thirsty and felt bloated. I think it was sodium overdose lol.

^^oh man, my favorite pizza from Papa Murphy's is hamburger pepperoni Canadian bacon and onions. Close lol

I've been on a very restricted diet and intermittent fasting for the last month. Tomorrow I get blood work and weighed and will see if I accomplished anything.

I'm not on the road, but for the last 3 weeks, I have been eating and drinking very differently than before because I found out I have high blood pressure, which had never previously been an issue. Prior to this, my drink of choice was grape Powerade... to the tune of three 28-ounce bottles per day. Probably a can of root beer (or two) every day also.
Now that I know I have high BP, and suspect that the sodium is an issue, I have dropped the Powerade entirely and drink water, with maybe one can of root beer or creme soda a day. I've also been watching my calories and weight, and walk an average of 11,000 steps a day.
BP appears to be down about 30 points...so I guess it's working. I have an appointment at the VA in the morning, so I guess I'll be finding out.
A problem when I drive is that I love popcorn, and that's when I eat a lot of it.

wanderingsoul said:
^^oh man, my favorite pizza from Papa Murphy's is hamburger pepperoni Canadian bacon and onions. Close lol

I've been on a very restricted diet and intermittent fasting for the last month. Tomorrow I get blood work and weighed and will see if I accomplished anything.
I love Papa Murphy's!

Canadian bacon, pineapple, and jalapeno... can't get much better.

kklowell said:
I'm not on the road, but for the last 3 weeks, I have been eating and drinking very differently than before because I found out I have high blood pressure, which had never previously been an issue. Prior to this, my drink of choice was grape Powerade... to the tune of three 28-ounce bottles per day. Probably a can of root beer (or two) every day also.
Now that I know I have high BP, and suspect that the sodium is an issue, I have dropped the Powerade entirely and drink water, with maybe one can of root beer or creme soda a day. I've also been watching my calories and weight, and walk an average of 11,000 steps a day.
BP appears to be down about 30 points...so I guess it's working. I have an appointment at the VA in the morning, so I guess I'll be finding out.
A problem when I drive is that I love popcorn, and that's when I eat a lot of it.
I was eating lots of sodium rich foods I developed edema in my legs and had to come back to see my doctor. My blood pressure was at one point 185/165 and that did it for me. BP is back to normal and edema totally gone from drinking over a gallon per day and moving around more by walking, hiking or playing with the dogs. Good luck with your appointment and with your BP.

TravelingZombies said:
I was eating lots of sodium rich foods I developed edema in my legs and had to come back to see my doctor. My blood pressure was at one point 185/165 and that did it for me. BP is back to normal and edema totally gone from drinking over a gallon per day and moving around more by walking, hiking or playing with the dogs. Good luck with your appointment and with your BP.
That's pretty high! Mine was 169/105 and the nurse acted like I was going to drop dead right on the spot. LOL Last week while being examed by the VA doc, I was also told I have edema in my legs, but I think it's much less now after just one week. Lots of water and very little sodium appears to be my solution also, but, I hate water, and I like salt. That could be a problem I guess. LOL

TravelingZombies said:
We all have our guilty pleasures, for instance. We're at home base right now waiting to get repairs done on my truck. The day we got home the first thing I did was order a pizza with hamburger, pepperoni, bacon and ham. Yum
I noticed this time the effects had on me as I was more thirsty and felt bloated. I think it was sodium overdose lol.

I don't eat very much meat. When I do eat it, I wind up with a raging thirst that takes several hours to quell. Dunno whether it's sodium specifically, or meat in general.

abnorm said:
How do you prepare a Papa Murphy's as a Nomad ?
 Ii haven't yet. but I intend to.
I'd have to cook them a half at a time.
Cook it right in the parking lot...lol sell it by the slice for gas money?

2nd build I included an oven/ cooker.

I'm a lousy cook but I require cookies, pies, cakes.. who couldn't eat a whole pan of bread pudding!?
1628736262385.jpg

I would prefer NOT to really cook.  Having such limited fridge space I'm definitely keen on canned meats...as long as I can get low sodium.. really interested in the beef and how that is.  When the Rona started I did buy a few cases of canned stuff... mostly the canned chicken which is great... canned salmon, tuna, and for some reason mackerel... eww . I don't even want to open that.

Seriously.. wat the hell do I do with mackerel??!!..

Attachments

• 1628736262385.jpg
    1628736262385.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5
I’ve gained a LOT since I’ve been living like this and am really fat. I’ve had multiple injuries which has made it very hard to move around. I can stand up about a minute only. I also gave COPD from many years of asthma.

If you come to YARC camp and see a fat old lady waddling around that’s me. I don’t know if it’s ever going to change and I feel like I’m starving only about an hour after I eat. Sucks.