we need a dating site

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wear lots of gold and drive a nice rig.
There are many more poor single gals than wealthy ones. Men tend to seek beauty. Women tend to seek security.
When I meet women one of the first questions is what do you do for a living. It is like filling out a credit application.

Sounds like a belief in miracles to me. Practice it however you like, but I see little connection to this thread.

I am old enough to remember people meeting one another via (paper)mail. There were pulp magazines with pics and bios, not that much different from online dating apps. Email and video and forums are just another form of communication.

Having a dating app specific to this community would seem like a good idea. We DO have sufficiently different lifestyles that weeding out the folks that think we are crazy might save us some time.

Ive been on an online dating site off and on a bit over time, Ive met some really awesome women, a couple that have become friends over time, and some not so awesome. I found that a really specific profile with plenty of info on what you really do, like, want and plan is much preferred to being vague and normal-ish and spending days/weeks of messaging and meeting to find theres not really much in common there. It drastically cut back the tire kickers that have no interest in my lifestyle and made for much less frustration with the whole thing. Instead of a couple a week of mostly no real common interests to one every couple months, and then having a clear idea what to expect. Its a big improvement in the experience. Im sure it helps anyone I contact to help them decide if they want to respond as well, and Im glad for it.

We as humans are gifted with five senses. (Logical) There is a sixth sense or even more, Intuition is a result of the other five. Judgment is also the result of the other five (I have a feeling)(This doesn't feel right )(This feels right). Since the add on "senses" are not logical, Risk is introduced, some would call it a gambling. Courage is another, venturing into a dark, unknown place, sticking your toe into the water so to speak. (Testing the water)(dating).
Younger people have an abundance of unfounded courage. Blind faith. Believing in those matters of heart without any or very little evidence to support that faith...….
We as humans grow older, we use non-replaceable assets. (time).
We apply the five senses to time. The result is experience.
In the USA The number of successful human "relationships" is less than one half over time. Among those that survive, some of those are failed in place until time expires, that is open for debate as to numbers.
Using our five senses plus experience should equal wisdom. Some advocate blind faith, a gamble on those things not in evidence to the five senses. (blind faith) (I believe). (I read a book therefore I believe)
Dating is the exploration of the unknown which allows time to apply wisdom acquired from past time and experience to the present, and over time to use judgment about the future.
Dating is an exploration. An exploration should be a rewarding experience. If not, explore some one else. You may find that you want to see and do more exploring where you are or, somewhere else.
In either case, all can be rewarding.
First, Look. and if you like what you see, then listen, when those meet your approval on to the next senses.
Remember that time is not endless, At some point you are risking the future.
Do you have the courage to explore? Do you have the courage to try the next unknown until you find the expectable vision that the future time will be well spent?
For me-- I will keep exploring knowing that time will run it's course. And then?

We as humans are gifted with five senses. (Logical) There is a sixth sense or even more, Intuition is a result of the other five. Judgment is also the result of the other five (I have a feeling)(This doesn't feel right )(This feels right). Since the add on "senses" are not logical, Risk is introduced, some would call it a gambling. Courage is another, venturing into a dark, unknown place, sticking your toe into the water so to speak. (Testing the water)(dating).
Younger people have an abundance of unfounded courage. Blind faith. Believing in those matters of heart without any or very little evidence to support that faith...….
We as humans grow older, we use non-replaceable assets. (time).
We apply the five senses to time. The result is experience.
In the USA The number of successful human "relationships" is less than one half over time. Among those that survive, some of those are failed in place until time expires, that is open for debate as to numbers.
Using our five senses plus experience should equal wisdom. Some advocate blind faith, a gamble on those things not in evidence to the five senses. (blind faith) (I believe). (I read a book therefore I believe)
Dating is the exploration of the unknown which allows time to apply wisdom acquired from past time and experience to the present, and over time to use judgment about the future.
Dating is an exploration. An exploration should be a rewarding experience. If not, explore some one else. You may find that you want to see and do more exploring where you are or, somewhere else.
In either case, all can be rewarding.
First, Look. and if you like what you see, then listen, when those meet your approval on to the next senses.
Remember that time is not endless, At some point you are risking the future.
Do you have the courage to explore? Do you have the courage to try the next unknown until you find the expectable vision that the future time will be well spent?
For me-- I will keep exploring knowing that time will run it's course. And then?
So are you looking to date or is this just a mental masturbation exercise? So many use words to just deflect or confuse rather then being straight forward ans saying what they want. What do you want? what are you trying to say!???

Yes, we do need a dating site. It would be nice to find a nomadic woman in my age group (30s).

Ladies! Cross eyed, knock kneed, abnormally short, slightly schizophrenic, mentally dense retired male traveler seeks good woman (preferably beauty queen). Must own travel trailer and pickup. Send picture of travel trailer and pickup...

Act quickly! This offer won't last!

So are you looking to date or is this just a mental masturbation exercise? So many use words to just deflect or confuse rather then being straight forward ans saying what they want. What do you want? what are you trying to say!???
Straight forward? Yes! Dating by nature is short term. A first glance. My plan is to look and actually do my best to see.
So I am going to choose where to look for a suitable companion.
My wife died two years ago. She was perfection. I was never alone, even when I was away at work. Men work.
If I only look for the negative in a date, that's what I will find.
If my mind set is to look for perfection, My search will be fruitless and a waste of time and energy.
Using my senses to best advantage, it's possible that I will locate and date a women who is faced with the same and like me may have given up on life but who has come to the realization that there is still life (time) to enjoy.
For most of my adult life, I've been one half of a whole. I worked to be a better half, she also worked at being a better half. Most of the time we were in harmony.
Recently I did a "date". At first glance, it was fun and was expectable. Then I discovered that she wished a more social life with what I choose to call high rollers. I also discovered that she had divorced 5 men. upon further investigation, I found each to be irreconcilable differences. I did not want to be arm candy until the new wore off or the bank account ran dry. My time and effort were wasted.
At this point, I don't know what the dating life will turn up.
I do have the courage to keep my eyes open but will narrow my search. I will look for some one who has had a good life but is now a widow or who has escaped an abusive relationship and wishes to remain escaped. Who is willing to launch into an entirely new life's adventure.
I have a home that holds too many wonderful memories. When I go to that place, every inch is a reminder of my wonderful past.
Now I wish to make a wonderful future. I know that I can do it alone but I know that it will be hollow without some one to share that future with.
I am willing to live alone and take pleasure from passing conversations. But the quiet times will be empty, I'm not going to like that very much.
You asked if this was verbal masturbation. NO! I'm filling one of those quiet times with planning and action rather than ruminating memories over and over.
For the past two weeks I have attended a senior luncheon near here and have found that there are many such groups within easy driving distance. Most have many more women than men.
One such place has women attending who live in subsidized housing and others from shelters, crammed in like sardines at night.
I've kept my mouth shut and eyes and ears open. I serve meals for a short time. I wear worn clothing and I don't shave.
I leave and arrive in my old battered pickup. Not much from the look of me.
Twice now I've had a conversation, mostly listening, women like to talk.
A few have verbalized dreams of a better day tomorrow a better life, One such woman said she was a better cook than the catered meals served. None were gold diggers.
When the weather gets warmer and being outside is more comfortable, I was thinking of asking some of them to come to the local park to prepare an outdoor meal and that I'd take them all to the local market to select foods to prepare which I would provide. I have a fully functional kitchen in my trailer.
Then just sit back and watch them go at it. No strings, just a great day at the park. A new memory.
Of course I have an ulterior motive. One of them might tell me that she would like to do that again. Maybe more than one. Let the selection process begin. Of course I'd nudge this along by saying something like that was a great day, Lets to it again some time.
Over the last year I've had women stop by who knew my wife had died. Almost all wanted me to attend some church.
I am not interested in being taught how I should live "right".
I am not interested how to dress "right" or spend my time "right". I'm not going to be brain washed into conforming to some one else's vision of "right", "good" and "proper".
So-- I am here now, typing on this cheap keyboard. I'm pushing my memories back and verbally looking forward. Instead of being all knotted up with tears held back (men don't cry),
I'm planning on tomorrow and next week and next year.
I am planning on two courses of action, alone or with a companion.
In any case, in another 6 weeks or so, I will begin. Everything is already in place for either. I'm not full of criticism or envy or hate. I am self sufficient as I am but still half empty.
Enough -- I am going into my garage now and do some other getting ready things. Hands on stuff. That space is big and has an echo. Then sleep and begin again tomorrow.

I'm still confused. Can someone advocating for a 'dating site' explain why the 'Romance for Solo Travelers' and 'Dating Resumes' sub-forums (of Matters of the Heart) are not the same thing?

Well, Emmylou Harris is 74, shes still pretty spiffy looking and probably a blast to hang out with. Id certainly give her a ride on my motorcycle and take her out for ice cream.

Age/number isnt the only thing. Theres some pretty cool geezerettes that may outlive some of use slightly younger guys.

Ive been on an online dating site off and on a bit over time, Ive met some really awesome women, a couple that have become friends over time, and some not so awesome. I found that a really specific profile with plenty of info on what you really do, like, want and plan is much preferred to being vague and normal-ish and spending days/weeks of messaging and meeting to find theres not really much in common there. It drastically cut back the tire kickers that have no interest in my lifestyle and made for much less frustration with the whole thing. Instead of a couple a week of mostly no real common interests to one every couple months, and then having a clear idea what to expect. Its a big improvement in the experience. Im sure it helps anyone I contact to help them decide if they want to respond as well, and Im glad for it.
It's nice to have common interests, but more important to find someone who is nice. Also someone with common values.

It's nice to have common interests, but more important to find someone who is nice. Also someone with common values.
Yes, but that seems a given.

Someone thats nice and has similar values isnt that difficult to find, but if they like watching football, playing golf, or hanging out in bars, and dont like camping, old guns, dogs, motorcycles, travel, and beards, there probably isnt enough nice to make it work.

How About Zoidberg Ladies? Hmmmmmmmm???

DR. ZOIDBERG G.jpg

I have lived the past 10 years in a part of the country, Mississippi, that is completely a different culture from where I moved from, Venice Beach, California. Dating sites just provided a shocking culture shock. I met women I was compatible with on a weekly basis in Venice Beach, Ca. without resorting to dating sites. Had a girlfriend I was head over heels with so I didn't take advantage of it. Had a lovely 21 year old student show a bit too much interest in me at my new job in Mississippi, and thought I should see if I could meet someone my own age to help me keep that in the proper context.

The women my age in rural Mississippi wouldn't consider someone who was not a devout evangelical Christian as everyone in that region seems to be, and just didn't have a lot of acceptance of someone who hadn't grown up in the same culture as they had. And it seemed church was the main social meeting place for older people there. Everyone my age seemed to be married to their high school sweetheart, (kind of sweet) or at the university a partner they had met in graduate school.

I think I much prefer meeting people in a social situation where there are a variety of people gathered for some mutual interest. And if I meet someone there, see what we have in common, etc. and where it might go without having identified looking for a partner as a basis for meeting. I think people have a tendency to project too much on the other person on dating sites, and not see clearly. Or maybe not seeing clearly is what makes it so much easier to get into a relationship when we are young?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a bit more social when this pandemic hopefully lifts. Whether that leads to romance or not. Dating sites are weird though. Have had a couple of relationships that I don't regret, and made a couple of friends I'm glad to know come from it. But I would much prefer meeting people some other way.