We need a "Phylosophy of Vanlife" discussion category

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cosmicgold,

Per the very beginning of your thread, you mentioned

> It's important to me, because I'd like to meet and travel with those who think along the lines of the guy in the above video, who understand things deeply beyond the physical and the mundane.

Try here if you wish: https://rvsingles.org/

Myself personally, I love listening to the universe sing - by myself. Except for rare exceptions, I just don't find our human species all that interesting. Now the universe itself, and Him who dwells beyond beauty, is a different matter. But people themselves, not so much. Of course everyone's mileage does indeed vary.

Then it was 1980. I went home to my parents and soon had a small apartment. Worst of all, I "got religion", the conventional kind. Thought God was punishing me and I needed to hang my head and obey all the standard society crap. Unbelievably, that lasted until 2017 when I suddenly woke up, as though out of a coma. Geez! What had I done with my life?
Great story... better late than never!

I feel similarly about getting slowly dragged into a semi-conventional domestic married life... for 20 years! Hope was the only thing that kept me going... and right when it was on the cusp of materializing... she bailed. What a waste!... but not really... I seem to need to learn things the hard way. And I did learn a lot that I'm thankful for.

It was way better for me. God told me very early on that I would never get married. So I decided to live it up. With no lawns to mow, gardens to water, "honey do's" to keep the bitch happy, I went on some kind of adventure every weekend. I got to live like a bum and turned my apartment into a sporting goods store. So I had a ton of windsurfing equipment, golf clubs, SCUBA diving gear, backpacking equipment, mountain climbing equipment, a recording studio, a membership in a flying club. During windsurfing season I would head out to one of the great windsurfing Mecca's every evening, getting home around 11:00pm. I would do this every day for about 5 months each year. I could ski at any of the fantastic ski resorts around the Lake Tahoe area, in spring and fall I would head down to Yosemite for rock climbing. Mid winter I would do ice climbing and big mountain ski mountaineering. I would go out to the ocean for abalone and spear fishing. All this was possible because I did not tie my ass down to the so called normal way of life. All my friends raised children and got divorced. I was a nomadic poly extreme athlete. When I did this there was no name for it.

>"...Geez! What had I done with my life?"

That is indeed the litmus test.

It was way better for me. God told me very early on that I would never get married. So I decided to live it up. With no lawns to mow, gardens to water, "honey do's" to keep the bitch happy, I went on some kind of adventure every weekend. I got to live like a bum and turned my apartment into a sporting goods store. . . .
I wish I'd had your intelligence early in life, Gizmo, but I was more than a little emotionally messed up in my early years. Back then, the most beautiful girl I ever saw in my life was falling emotionally in love with me (and yes, my eyeballs almost melted the first time she undressed in front of me). She had read "Travels with Charley", which totally sold her on the idea of us doing the same; get a pickup truck, put a topper on it, and travel the country together. (Actually, that was the only dream for the future she had at the time.)

I was so unbelievably dumb not to take her up on that, so gorgeous, totally easy-going personality, never any "honey do's" what-so-ever, and sold on Van Life before there even was such a thing. She had no dream of a house with a white picket fence and bouncing babies running around a freshly-mowed yard. She just wanted the road, me, and our freedom. AND I turned her down! What was I thinking??? A tremendous loss for me, as I certainly never received an offer like that again from anyone ever.

But I might not have been good for her. She couldn't see it -- having no reference points -- but my being so twisted up inside emotionally from my weird upbringing was not a good thing at all. Still, I could have had the most beautiful (and loving) girl in the world, I could have been a nomad on the road my whole life, I could have spent my life in a van with a woman who wanted nothing more than the same as I did!

Last edited:
. . . . Did you ever look at the nomadic existence of Jesus Christ after he was done being a carpenter? They roamed about a small area for a few years while he shared all the secrets of true freedom. . . .
It was your comments on Jesus -- such as the above -- that inspired me to include Jesus in my Signature below. Thank you, Gizmo. . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I do find it interesting, who Jesus is to someone.

For some time now, but of course not always, I simply believe that god became a man.

That's who he is to me anyways.

I just don't find our human species all that interesting. Of course everyone's mileage does indeed vary.
same for me. I do not require others, only in tiny doses but I never put my life against social connections/interactions to 'show me anything' I don't already know deep down on how I need to live my life. I am right there with you on that statement!!!

but in general life on the planet in ancient times was survival in groups. Survival to procreate for literally survival of the species also as humans. NOW we fell well out of natural order of life ya know to where we 'can be truly' who we need to be literally and follow our own way, but 'society and civilization' tears that out of us to his 'some normal standards' that truly did not exist back in the day for it was only one thing....survive. We have it OH SO great now and we have it media/social norms and labels on our lives now that make it OH SO horrible in millions of ways as we 'progressed, to what?!

hard to find 'you' in today's world, simpler times meant we could find us so much easier in a way. If we can hear thru the noise, we find us and that is the magic of it all if one can block and like what slow2day said....do your own thing! but how many can and will pony up what it takes in today's world to do just that? if ya want it bad enough or you aren't influenced too much by outside 'norm' forces, etc. one has that 'magic awakening' to grab and go that route.

fun chat on it all from so many's life experiences on how ya get there and find what ya need in full truth.

I try hard not to confuse philosophy with religion. The first can be discussed by reasonable people without making enemies and a well-reasoned argument might persuade another - or yourself. Religion, on the other hand (no matter what your religion is), is like arguing with an idiot. There is just no upside. Nor is anyone likely to change their mind. IMO, that's why they have doors on houses of worship. So everyone inside will only have to listen to people they agree with.

I try hard not to confuse philosophy with religion. The first can be discussed by reasonable people without making enemies and a well-reasoned argument might persuade another - or yourself. Religion, on the other hand (no matter what your religion is), is like arguing with an idiot. There is just no upside. Nor is anyone likely to change their mind. IMO, that's why they have doors on houses of worship. So everyone inside will only have to listen to people they agree with.
Yeah. That's why I use the word "magic" instead of "miracle". "Miracle" sounds way too religious, bringing on the problems you named. It seems to me that religion is more competitive than football, focusing on how "I'm going to show you I'm right and you're wrong." But real magic isn't like that. Magic works equally well for everyone, regardless of their religion.

Last edited:
The human story is messy. People have problems.

I'm partial to people that make life easier for others, and richer, and more beautiful. People who don't burden others with their problems.

It cuts through beliefs, and philosophies, and religions. And. It's rare enough that I've grown to enjoy my own company best of all.

religion is used to 'control the masses' as they get out of hand, a 'religious and faithful and doctrine' of control is set forth in whatever religion ya wanna claim, but it is all about control the entire local population for making this world a 'kinda somewhat' hopefully peaceful and not insane chaotic war monger lifestyle. which it was :) til religion and more 'tamed the human beast'....and more wars were fought over religion then darn near anything else, like land country claims and more.

Not saying anything bad here on religion truly :) Just saying 'it's past' is a monsterous effect of life today and how we 'got here' too. No diff. then human laws put in effect to control humans and we must drive this speed and we must pay these taxes and we must not walk on that grass and we must not park there and we must not burn a fire here and we must not not not not not....controls us all truly. Humans set free is a disaster of insane proportions so we cling to religion for control, we cling to laws for control and we hope the human soul comes into play for decency and more :)

again, just a chat, not making any glaring statements of anything here LOL

The first can be discussed by reasonable people without making enemies and a well-reasoned argument might persuade another - or yourself. Religion, on the other hand (no matter what your religion is), is like arguing with an idiot. There is just no upside.
There is no point in arguing with people over God's plans for mankind. Jesus said not to do it. He also said not to judge lest you be judged yourself. He said that he reserves the right to judge. Most people have no clue what this is all about. It's the very best deal in the world. You can take the entire burden of judging others off your back. It's a load that you don't have to carry. In other words you don't have to give a crap what others do or think. There's already a powerful cop on the beat and He plans to do something about it. Most people can't help themselves. They think they have the obligation to cancel others based on their vast understanding of things. But all that is covered by someone who knows. So I look at a lot of people like they are crash test dummies and God is that cement block that they try to run into without injury. ( ...think about testing the crash worthiness of new developing vehicles.)

yea a great way for humans 'to not judge' and become extremely annoyed to the point of wiping out others who 'dont' see their way' and that is what religion is all about. Keep the faithful in their own lane and hopefully make sure others stay there also...good way for human life to move forward and help each other live our lives, but fanatics see it different. if one doesn't do as their god says then one has to then be 'shown the way' and they do judge so and some act? yikes

I agree with you on what ya said but that power to be is in the human brain totally, yet humanity can't ever seem to get there at all....sad truth of it all cause we all have private experiences in life that will never effect another so? how can we all ever see equal? can't be done and sad that is the way it is and will always be.

The 3 things that have been used to control the people are

1. Religion,
2. Government,
3. Money.

If you control all 3 you can rule the world. The best example is, "The Holy Roman Empire" it was all 3.

ON LIFE

Butterflies don't think or plan
"This is what I'll do, this is where I'll go"

They can't

Their life and their destiny
Rests completely upon the wind

And yet

The loveliest flowers feed them
They rest in the choicest spots

Like them

When my ride on this bluebrown merrygoround
Comes to an end

I'll leave

Grateful for the gift
Of days under the sun

Last edited:

1. Religion,
2. Government,
3. Money.

If you control all 3 you can rule the world. The best example is, "The Holy Roman Empire" it was all 3.
Or today:

Twitter

Facebook

Google

1. Religion,
2. Government,
3. Money.
Good comment. I see a layer deeper. It's human nature, specifically covetousness. People tend to allow power, control, and the craven image of wealth to control them. They use the 3 tools suggested above to get them.

Cosmic,
Sorry, but I put "Magic" right up there with "Alternate Medicine." Like the old saying, "What do you call alternative medicine that works? - Medicine!" IF (and that's a big "if") there is really anything in the natural world that I Inhabite that actually works, but that we can't explain with our current knowledge, I'll be looking for some other term besides "magic." Like, maybe... unexplained, unknown results, something we really need to study, etc... Given how stupid we (humanity) can sometimes be, there is a lot we don't understand YET. But before I just put it to some deity or magical force, I would rather put it under a microscope (figuratively) and try to figure it out.