we need a dating site

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never randomly message a stranger unless I knew how they looked and that they were interested in dating.
You want to see if they are attractive enough before you contact them, otherwise you could ask them to send you a pic.

I would never randomly message a stranger unless I knew how they looked and that they were interested in dating.
You want to see if they are attractive enough before you contact them, otherwise you could ask them to send you a pic.
Of their late model pickup and travel trailer?

:love:

Yes, I want to see if I'm attracted to them before I contact them. I couldn't imagine contacting someone, asking for a picture, and then either telling them I'm not attracted to them or just not talking to them anymore. That would be harsh.

Me: Hey, you seem cool. Can I get a picture?
Him: ~sends picture~
Me: Nevermind.

Yeah, that entire thing is awkward and awful.

I would never randomly message a stranger unless I knew how they looked and that they were interested in dating. And people do notice and think negatively about people who come across as desperate.
I am more concerned with what is (or isn't) inside a potential partner's head than what the head (or the rest of them) looks like. I wasn't always that way, but somewhere along the way, I got edgamucated.

I am more concerned with what is (or isn't) inside a potential partner's head than what the head (or the rest of them) looks like. I wasn't always that way, but somewhere along the way, I got edgamucated.
That's understandable. When I was really young, my first concern was what the guy looked like. Right now I'm concerned about both - who he is and what he looks like. I'm sure one day, if I'm blessed to live that long and find myself single, I'll only care about who he is. That being said, that's not where I am today so I'm going to honor this phase of my life today. Today I want someone I'm attracted to physically and mentally.

My 36 year old pickup needs a carb, it's homemade camper cost $400, it has an old 1930's hobo sign on the back that says "an ill tempered man lives here & has guns" I'm not pretty, I'm not rich, I can't be retrained, I burp, fart & snore, so do I need a volunteer or a victim?

I'm sure one day, if I'm blessed to live that long and find myself single, I'll only care about who he is.
Hmm, that would imply that it's an old-age thing. I imagine quite a few people would differ. You know what they say about the motion of the ocean.

I wonder how old John Donne was when he wrote
But he who loveliness within
Hath found, all outward loathes,
For he who color loves, and skin,
Loves but their oldest clothes.
?

I've probably had as many crushes on homely people as handsome ones -- including, as a teenager working in a theater, the swashbuckling Cyrano de Bergerac but not the hopelessly conventional-looking actor who portrayed him. Fell in and out of love every night ;)

A photo is often a poor predictor anyway of how someone looks in real life, when they're animated (or droning on, or dissing the waiter). To me it's always been more about the interplay between what you've got and what you do with it. Faces are weird that way.

Last edited:
Hmm, that would imply that it's an old-age thing. I imagine quite a few people would differ. You know what they say about the motion of the ocean.

I wonder how old John Donne was when he wrote
But he who loveliness within
Hath found, all outward loathes,
For he who color loves, and skin,
Loves but their oldest clothes.
?

I've probably had as many crushes on homely people as handsome ones -- including, as a teenager working in a theater, the swashbuckling Cyrano de Bergerac but not the hopelessly conventional-looking actor who portrayed him. Fell in and out of love every night ;)

A photo is often a poor predictor anyway of how someone looks in real life, when they're animated (or droning on, or dissing the waiter). To me it's always been more about the interplay between what you've got and what you do with it. Faces are weird that way.
Everybody's different. While most people within reproductive age require some level of attractiveness that they like, that's not everybody's truth. Other people are more interested in intelligence, humor, money, body shape, supportively, etc. I have noticed the older people get, the less physical attractiveness seems to matter. They seem to focus more on companionship, health, and financial independence. Then again, most of the older women I know aren't really interested in finding a partner. They all say if it happens, great; if not, great. They're happy either way.

That being said, my comment used a lot of "I''s" because I can only speak for myself. Once sex is no big deal, I'm sure I'll only be interested in a guy's mind too. Right now, I'm interested in brains and beauty.

I understand the importance of appearance in reproduction. I sort of figure it is "baked in" to our species. And back in the hunter-gatherer savannah days, I am sure there was some survival purpose there we inherited.

But, my personal experience is that, if anything, beauty is inversely related to good partnerships. I had one friend that had been dumped on more than once who said to me, "Sure she treats me right, but she's not as beautiful as I am used to." Thankfully, he got over that and to this day they have the best relationship anyone in our group of friends has managed to maintain.

No. I'll go on judging by the content rather than by the container.

I just a modest salt-of-the earth kinda guy. I find that this little ditty describes humble old me to a "T". I just have to find that certain special someone who matches my dazzling magnificence and grandeur... Sigh... I'm so Dreamy...

For the Pirate In You

Very mischievous :)

Parlay is English, borrowed from the french.

Last edited:
For the Pirate In You

Very mischievous :)

Parlay is English, borrowed from the french.
Are you STILL calling me a Surrender Monkey??? I'll have you know I deeply resemble that!!! I mean... Uhhh.. DOH!!!

:LOL:

Well, I don't have an oar in the water here, but just couldn't stand not replying either... ;-)

While most people within reproductive age require some level of attractiveness that they like, that's not everybody's truth. Other people are more interested in intelligence, humor, money, body shape, supportively, etc.
If you've ever been in a "southern honky-tonk" at the last call and closing time... it's a fact that alcohol fueled bleary eyes and "urges" care not a whit about beauty, shape or much of anything else for some folks. In his younger years, my dang brother for one..... <smh>
:sick:

Well, I don't have an oar in the water here, but just couldn't stand not replying either... ;-)

If you've ever been in a "southern honky-tonk" at the last call and closing time... it's a fact that alcohol fueled bleary eyes and "urges" care not a whit about beauty, shape or much of anything else for some folks. In his younger years, my dang brother for one..... <smh>
In my experience, it doesn't have to be southern or honky tonk. Everyone (including myself) starts looking better at "closing time" - no matter where you hail from.

I disagree! I ALWAYS look GREAT.

Me at Opening Time:__________Me at Last Call:

It's Hard to be Humble when you're Me...

Attachments

• Nutty Napolean 2.jpg
    Nutty Napolean 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Nutty Napolean 2.jpg
    Nutty Napolean 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 0

😁 I've been in several southern honky-tonka and found people do, in fact, care about beauty. It's just everybody looks way better under the influence of alcohol.