Water infiltration Class C overhead repair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsession

Reaction score
This is my old RV that I bought in 2009 and travel across Canada and back through the USA. I have lived in it for 4 months and I want to show you what water infiltration mean... I knew the damage when I bought it, I paid 3900 CAD for this 1986 Ford Class C 24’ diesel 6.9. The value at the time was around 12000-14000 CAD for a clean unit with a diesel engine and around 9000-10000 CAD for gas.

It was bad! It smells like damp wood. The RV spent the winter outside and probably had 3 feet of snow on top...

Here's the pictures from April 2009

F01.jpg

F02.jpg

F03.jpg

F04.jpg

F05.jpg

I them clean the best as I can with bleach and let that dry for 2 weeks.

F06.jpg

I took out the front window, put a 3/4 inch plywood sheet and I decide not to make a cut out for easier access to the cab.

F07.jpg

F08.jpg

F10.jpg

Full size mattress, did not have a lot of room but so comfortable. I had it so better use it.

F11.jpg

I lived in it for 4 months, never smell bad after the repair or have issues with water infiltration or my health. The only thing that I did not like about this RV is the size of it, 24' was too big. I was doing 15 mpg with it.

Nice work on the repairs, looks very professional. If you have any, post some pics of what the leak source looked like...appears both the window sealant and maybe to corner weld were letting water in...

I had to seal the roof and every window. It was a one piece roof, but all the corners were not in good shape. I don't have pictures of that. This is why I will not buy another Class C, even though if they do not leak now, eventually they will and the damage is often problematic.

I share this as a remember to look for leaks. This RV was an 1986 and the window had the original sealant.

I hope you fixed the leaks and killed all that mold. some detail on that would be nice. I know it's hard when you are working to take pictures but an explanation would be helpful. like how did you go about finding all the leaks? did you test it after the leaks were seal? how? how did you kill the mold? btw it looks really good. I am just trying get more info. highdesertranger

Older units often failed the new thought has been larger rounded top corner pvc molded/bonded. good job.

Did I kill all the mold? I think so, I use bleach and let that dry for 2 weeks. Sealed all the window and exterior corner. During that time it rained a few time and I was not seeing anything. Before doing the wood work, the smell of damp wood was gone and I did not see any mold growing. Before putting the insulation, I use a garden hose to test every window and roof. There was no leak so I insulated. It’ smelled good after all the work and in 4 months never had an issue. When I sold it, the guy saw the picture of the repair and thought that I’ve done pretty much what needed to be done to fix it.

The new is better but I often see one with the side delaminated, if the price is right, it can still be an option.

If any other questions let me know.

Hi, "Vsessions",

Your post sounds great. It will potentially be highly useful for me. Nonetheless, I can't see the pictures. Would it be possible for you to upload them again?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Latest posts