Roof Seam Repairs and Corner Moldings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggy

Reaction score
I bought a vintage Tioga and one of the many problems was a split along a roof seam which had been eternabond-taped.  Last summer I worked hard on the roof in the hot sun to scrape off the sticky mess of layers of tapes and cleaned it up with IPA and fixed it by pouring in high quality thinned-out epoxy resin, so thin it kind of ran like water. and let it just settle in wherever gravity told it to, building it up to the level I needed.  I also dabbed this around all the windows (removing paleo-caulk) and other seams.  The whole RV was bone dry after a harsh winter with snow, rain, hail!  Not one leak.  I intend to do this again every summer since it's fast and easy and effective.  Maybe it's not a new idea but it was new to me and worked really well and looks better than tapes.

I also want to remove the ugly banged up roof and side-corner molding which has the convex plastic tucked in it, and replace it with 2" or more corner molding pvc.  I saw someone do this and it looked good; they took a 5" square pvc fence post and cut it on the diagonal and then screwed it in.  Another one did a better job with custom bends and no screws.  But I found online you can just buy 2" PVC corner trim (Home Depot only sells 1 1/4") and I thought if I got some metal pipes and put a lid on one end and poured in boiling water and put in the corner molding I could get it malleable enough to bend it around the curves on the Class C nose.  And then I'd somehow glue it down on the unsightly seams, then resin it for waterproof.
Has anyone done these tactics, especially the PVC?  Any problems?  What glue to you recommend?  Thankscorner molding.JPGcorner molding1.jpg.pngcorner molding2.jpgcorner molding3.jpgcorner molding4.jpg

Attachments

• corner molding.JPG
    corner molding.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 7
  • corner molding1.jpg.png
    corner molding1.jpg.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 9
  • corner molding2.jpg
    corner molding2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 13
  • corner molding3.jpg
    corner molding3.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 17
  • corner molding4.jpg
    corner molding4.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 16
Well, it should be easy enough and will look good when you do it, but; have you seen those pvc chairs after a year? I wouldn't waste my time and energy for such a short life. Aluminum is my choice. Been on my rig 45 years and still working fine.

As mentioned, plastic's are problematic and I avoid them.
Epoxy resin is not flexible, it cracks and separates from the surface it's applied to over time.

If either is used on a mobile structure that does have twist or flex along with UV deterioration you'll be having the same problem again.

There's a reason why the original manufacturer avoids these products.

Having said that, they do make a rubberized epoxy though so that might be worth looking into.

just my 2¢

Man, this is brilliant. So impressed with the effort and thought that you put in to restore this beautiful decorative plasterwork. Please post pictures when it is all complete!

I wonder how flex seal would hold up on an RV roof. My truck camper has the TPO roof and I have given it a passing thought to coat it with flex seal in a couple of years when it's time to replace the TPO.

If you mean Flex-Seal, "As seen on TV", it is crap. It will discolor and degrade.

Eternabond tape covers and seals cracks, and stays flexible.