Opinions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a year for a Class B that’s safe and in decent condition. They get snagged up right away.
Of course anything I consider I will have checked  out by an RV mechanic.
I found a 1990 Coachman. I believe it is the original owner.
It’s the first RV I’ve with plates that start with “2” we are now up to 8 . 
He says it only has 58,000 miles on it and wants $14,000. for it. Here’s the ad:

Really hard to find, In really nice & clean condition... Serious buyers only PLEASE.

‘91 Ford Coachmen Camper Motorhome Van, Very convenient RV for traveling / Parking, 58K original miles, Runs excellent, Dash A/C blows cold, Current tags, Title in hand, Absolutely ready to go.

Has all the options ready for travel... On board Onan Generator, Upgraded solar system to keep batteries charged always, Water pump & water heater, Roof A/C, Bathroom area with shower, Microwave, Stove top and sink.... Sleeps up to 3, Has a 6 foot long bed over drivers cabin, Also has a couch that folds into a bed.

It’s 20 ft long. rWD 8 cylinders.

Any thoughts? TIA

Thank you I plugged it all in the problem is that vehicles are 4x (no exaggeration) the cost here of other states and I have to be able to pass the smog. For example this was the cheapest Coachmen I could find there were others with over 100,000 mi for $17,000. Our prices are insane. If I posted the cost of Sprinters people would stroke out.
I had been hoping to sell my car and buy a Class B since it’s a year till I can touch my retirement but not sure that’s possible.
I’ve been looking online for over a year and the prices are just too high.

I agree that 58,000 miles on a 30 year old RV sounds highly suspect.

My concern for something that old is that the RV part of it may be usable but the vehicle part not so much.

A Diesel engine kept well maintained might still have a lot of life in it at even 200,000 miles, but I would be real careful buying something that old if your plan is to travel.

Personally, if I couldn’t afford a more recent model RV I would buy a more recent model vehicle and either pull a small something or go with a tent.

Regardless the RV part, if the vehicle part breaks down you are dead in the water.

I don't think that's to bad, I would check it out really good, crawl underneath and look at the condition of the frame, look for excess grease and grime on the transmission. I bought a 7 year old Class C with less than 18,000 on it, the Generator only had 3.5 hours on it, It was tied up in an estate sale for a few years.

What I found when looking for a motor home was that a lot of them didn't have a lot miles on them, people buy them and then don't have the time or money to enjoy them. And some people simply don't like camping out.

Thats about 2000 miles a year, if you take just 1 vacation a year you can go easily drive that many miles.

That’s a lot of money for something you will probably have to work on if nothing else due to age. How old are the tires, batteries and hoses? We’re the fluids changed every year or so? Is it still the original brakes and fluid? Was it stored inside? Are the vents, their covers and roof leaking or deteriorating? Your emergency fund would have to be almost as much as the purchasing price to cover a 30 year old vehicle that has sat unattended outdoors. Yearly maintenance is required whether you use them or not.

The general public seems to have more time, and more spendable money out there waiting on good deals here lately. If you see something that interests you, you best be calling right away to set up a viewing. FB marketplace is lightening fast responses from people that have cash in hand.

I have called about good deals that were posted minutes earlier, and was third in line.

you could change residency to WA state, they don't smog test and there is no income tax. ;)

Unfortunately I have a disabled brother. He is autistic and developmentally disabled. And he gets Section 8 which is literally impossible in Los Angeles. He is in a good living situation overseen by an agency but needs an advocate. That’s why I’m here.

I will probably buy a used empty sprinter and have a few things built in in but not much. I don’t plan to be anywhere cold for the winter (would love to but not possible) I don’t need much, never have so that’s probably going to be my option if I do go back on the road. A fairly empty sprinter will leave room for my dog. Oh and I eat one meal a day (long boring medical story) so a kitchen is not an issue.