water container non-plastic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi. i would like to wrap up this post with results after time.<br /><br />the 15.5 stainless steel keg is doing me great in my e-150. the 15.5gallons of drinking and cooking water last me around 10 days. i also carry 6 gallons in a plastic container (looks like a tall square gas can) that i use for bathing and other cleaning. now that i've switched to using a spray bottle to do dishes with, i've not yet run out of cleaning water between fill ups.<br /><br />the very small hand pump on the keg is fine. i pump it into a brita pitcher because that is what i had. on my last filter now, next is some japanese piece of charcoal filter i got and need to learn about. might just drop it in the keg, not sure as i know nothing about it. i leave the keg in the van and fill it with a hose. i just purchased a hose (there is a great thift store in MOAB that features many building and maintenance items. i got a coiling hose for 4$, perfect - http://www.wabisabimoab.org/ - its the wharehouse one) as i've found many spouts and few hoses. the keg is too heavy full to try lift it into the van. removing the pressure seal ontop of the keg is not a problem. i hav the keg strapped to the van wall. no idea of the total security of this but the keg with its handles and lip make it easy strap down or grab on to. gives many options.<br /><br />i use Star Sans to sanitize it. it foams and does not require a complete rinse which is nice. i foam up the keg inside real well then pump it into my plastic container then dump into my cooler with other containers like my water pack and let soak and work thru tubes and such then water gets dumped in my bucket. everything gets sanitized which is nice.<br /><br />others may not like my small hand pump but i'm fine with it. also, testing a stainless steel keg on the outside with a magnet can be misleading as my keg is coated with something on the outside that in the end only produces a very slight reaction to the magnet. some parts pull stronger than others. so if yer trying to avoid an aluminum keg, look a little beyond a quick magnet test.<br /><br />i like my keg and if ever i need more water, i'd be hapi to add a second one.