Waste free lifestyle, what does it look like?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free_to_be_me

Reaction score
I've been watching videos of Waste-free living from people on YouTube. I'm curious if any of the vehicle dwellers here have been practicing this lifestyle? I've been trying to eat raw foods as much as possible, which makes food pretty simple for reducing waste. I'm still not sure how I feel about the various hygiene ideas for toothpaste, shampoo, etc. I also guess that they aren't allowed to use a mason jar or something at Bulk barn when weighing their purchases? Im still researching it. Whos trying It out?? And what does it look like for you?
Is anyone else researching it or about to attempt it?

Free_to_be_me said:
I've been watching videos of Waste-free living from people on YouTube. I'm curious if any of the vehicle dwellers here have been practicing this lifestyle? I've been trying to eat raw foods as much as possible, which makes food pretty simple for reducing waste. I'm still not sure how I feel about the various hygiene ideas for toothpaste, shampoo, etc. I also guess that they aren't allowed to use a mason jar or something at Bulk barn when weighing their purchases? Im still researching it. Whos trying It out?? And what does it look like for you?
Is anyone else researching it or about to attempt it?

Hi there!

I'm aspiring towards living a low/no waste lifestyle.  I haven't transitioned to nomadic living quite yet and I'm also curious if there are any low/no waster nomads on this forum.  It seems like it might be extra challenging to do low/no waste on the road.  Currently I'm trying to swap out wasteful habits for low waste habits slowly.  Over the past year I've done the following things-

-Started using reusable shopping/produce bags
-Started making my own toothpaste, facial cleanser, and moisturizers 
-Swapped my plastic toothbrush for a biodegradable bamboo one (with plastic free, biodegradable packaging!)
-Swapped disposable fem hygiene products for a diva cup and thinx undies
-Swapped plastic disposable razors for a stainless steel safety razor 
-(mostly) Cut out convenience and frozen food packaged in plastic and switched to a more raw/whole foods/vegetarian based diet (I make my own frozen/convenience dinners now by meal prepping)
-Minimized my personal shopping habits and only started buying things that I absolutely needed
-Thrift whenever possible for items I need
-Started making homemade dogfood for my canine companion instead of using the prepackaged stuff
-Bring my own waterbottle & coffee cup to cafes
-Started using stainless steel straws
-Swapped a kureg coffemaker for a pour over (chemix) with reusable filter

I'm looking forward to making more changes in the future!  :)

I try to live as waste free as possible no matter where I am...  home or traveling.

Reusable shopping bags - check, but use the ones NOT made from hemp or those dirty hippies will steal them from you and try to smoke them.

I use Tom's of Maine natural toothpaste fluoride free, it comes in a recyclable paperboard box but I do have to dispose of the tube.  Only use a pea size dollop of paste on my brush so a tube lasts a very long time. Been using Tom's for many decades.  Started back when I was a dirty hippy.

I use plastic toothbrushes but they get additional uses after they become too wore out for toothbrushes.  Cleaning stuff mostly or shanks to protect yourself while in prison from smoking hemp shopping bags.

I still have my grandfather's safety razor he used in the military. Thinking about getting a blade sharpener so a pack of blades last years.  Might can sharpen those shanks too

Use butcher shops for meat and have it wrapped in paper that can be recycled or used for starting the fire.  Fresh vegetables have little waste.  You can slice fresh vegetables up and freeze them for cooking later.  I can eat carrots all day long and I need to buy lots of them or I'll run out quickly.  Smoking carrots really don't do much but on a positive note it's not illegal so you don't need plastic toothbrush shanks

Limit my trips to the store by keeping a list of things I need or running out of and only buying what is on the list.  And make a trip useful by doing other errands combined with it like going to the post office or running over dirty hippies that like to steal your hemp shopping bags or disposing of the bodies of slow dirty hippies.

Love thrift stores and I use them and donate to them.  Sometimes there are dirty hippies in there looking for hemp shopping bags so I wait outside with the engine running.  Note the above bullet item with no bullet.

I have a stainless steel Bubba coffee mug if I need a cup of coffee while out. It is also heavy enough you can use it as a weapon against dirty hippies...  yeah, you guessed it, trying to steal your hemp shopping bags.

I don't use straws.  I used to but I got tired of my nose going numb and getting nose bleeds so I quit. (reference to more advanced dirty hippies)

Pour over coffee is the best with percolated coffee in a stainless steel pot on the cook stove coming in a close second.  I think they make hemp coffee filters but the hassle probably isn't worth it.

Motrukdriver - I'm not sure if you are being real or just poking fun at the thread (due to the frequent mention of hemp bags, dirty hippies, and shanks)... :(

People at both political extremes can be ultra-thrifty, including those who are opposed to progressive and greenie values.

Just like a farmer who scraped through the depression, can learn a lot from those that don't necessarily come from the same motivations.

AdventurousAdriana said:
Motrukdriver - I'm not sure if you are being real or just poking fun at the thread (due to the frequent mention of hemp bags, dirty hippies, and shanks)... :(

It actually started out serious but I thought gee what fun is that.  So I included the dirty hippy part mainly because I actually was one a very long time ago.  The shank part was from a documentary I saw about prison life and inmates making shanks out of toothbrushes.  It matched up pretty good with the hemp part.   I do try to live a waste free lifestyle when ever possible and I hope you got a chuckle out of it.

Free_to_be_me said:
I've been watching videos of Waste-free living from people on YouTube. I'm curious if any of the vehicle dwellers here have been practicing this lifestyle? 

As usual, I do things a bit differently.  

As in any enterprise, you need a method to evaluate your performance.  For example, Weight Watchers uses a point system.  Foods are assigned point values for specific serving sizes.  Each person is assigned a number of points to eat each day.  The stepping onto the scale gives the summary of a week's effort.  

American football has many statistics like passing yards, rushing yards, turnover count and interception count.  After all that, when the clock statistic gets to zero it is the touchdown scoreboard point statistic that determines the winner.  That's rules of the game not personal choice.  

In my personal life I have a points scheme to keep track.  For example, Peter Luger's is a New York City steak restaurant that is known for an excellent steak experience.  Their product and service are best ever.  On the other hand, Applebee's serves a steak that I occasionally enjoy.  My point scheme is easy to use.  I use dollar points.  The Peter Luger steak experience is 100 to 150 dollar points and the Applebee's experience is about 20 to 25 dollar points.  I use that like Weight Watcher's points.  A more dollar points meal will probably add more to my waist line.  I often go to Burger King where, for under 4 dollar points, I get a Whopper Junior, no mayo no pickle, no ketchup, a salad, no dressing, and a drink.  That's less fat, less calories, less sodium, than the Applebee's meal.  I do like the flame broiled taste.  Some comparisons are obvious.

Fresh broccoli is available year round at Walmart.  Frozen broccoli is also available at the same store.  Without evidence to the contrary I presume that the company has a similar mark up and profit margin on both products.  The last time I compared the frozen broccoli was less expensive.  Therefore, per serving, less dollar points for frozen.  I presume fresh involves loss and waste because it is more perishable than frozen.  Since I don't see that waste I might be of the opinion that fresh is better than frozen.  Based on dollar points all of the issues getting the product to me are accounted for.  Diesel fuel used on the farm is accounted for as is the diesel fuel for transportation.  The big rubber band and plastic shrink wrap on the fresh product and the fancy printed heat sealed bag on the frozen product are accounted for.  It doesn't matter whether there are rushing yards or passing yards or interceptions, the final points score gives an overall summary.  All products, not just perishable groceries, have many inputs that all have costs.  If I only count the waste that I personally see then all the other waste gets ignored.  My dollar points method takes advantage of the work many other people have already done to account for all of the costs and waste.  It is like the Weight Watcher's scale.  It gives a summary of the entire effort.

There is an old saying, penny wise pound foolish.  The pound there is the British currency.  I can brush my teeth only once per week.  That lowers my dollar points used for tooth brushes and toothpaste.  The dollar points increase at the dentist is likely going to be more.  I think the total lifetime point score is what really matters.  Some things cannot be known in advance.  If 3D printing technology makes a $3 set of dentures a reality then the calculation gets changed.  The result of the calculation may still be daily tooth brushing.

It depends on how you define "waste" and what your priorities are. I think it's more than just how we use material resources. It's also about how we use our time, our mental and physical energy, our life.

I think the whole concept of wiping your butt is not just wasteful but unsanitary, primitive and disgusting, cloth no better than paper.

A good bum gun is the only way to go, bidet I s'pose for any Euros here, and salt water's just fine for most.

I'll have to agree. I've converted over to the bidet years ago and wouldn't want to go back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic of a bum gun

d681fef9fcb3bc9abd568b5bca495ac3.jpg

I'm sure people in that situation are more than capable of improvising such a solution if they wish.

With all the tons of TP littering up remote tourist spots all around the world, that would be a welcome improvement.

John61CT said:
I'm sure people in that situation are more than capable of improvising such a solution if they wish.

With all the tons of TP littering up remote tourist spots all around the world, that would be a welcome improvement.

Several folks in my backpacking crew use a variation this portable bidet instead of TP...

Just don't press the wrong button when you stumble into the bathroom after a long night of drinking or you might get a big surprise.

jNswUek.jpg

AdventurousAdriana said:
Hi there!

I'm aspiring towards living a low/no waste lifestyle.  I haven't transitioned to nomadic living quite yet and I'm also curious if there are any low/no waster nomads on this forum.  It seems like it might be extra challenging to do low/no waste on the road.  Currently I'm trying to swap out wasteful habits for low waste habits slowly.  Over the past year I've done the following things-

-Swapped my plastic toothbrush for a biodegradable bamboo one (with plastic free, biodegradable packaging!)
-(mostly) Cut out convenience and frozen food packaged in plastic and switched to a more raw/whole foods/vegetarian based diet (I make my own frozen/convenience dinners now by meal prepping)
-Minimized my personal shopping habits and only started buying things that I absolutely needed
-Started making homemade dogfood for my canine companion instead of using the prepackaged stuff

WOW!! Very impressive!

Motrukdriver said:
 So I included the dirty hippy part mainly because I actually was one a very long time ago.  The shank part was from a documentary I saw about prison life and inmates making shanks out of toothbrushes.  It matched up pretty good with the hemp part.   

I hope you got a chuckle out of it.

I thought it was well played.  And well done overall.

AdventurousAdriana said:
Hi there!

I live as waste-free as possible. According to most standards, I'm pretty extreme, but I know there's more I can do. Sometimes my health issues get in the way of what I can do and I accept that. But yes, you're definitely in the company of some others who live this way.

P.S. a bum gum? Bwahaha!

I'm just now considering using reuseable toilet wipes, but I have to warm up to the idea. And figure out a way to do this in a van!

There are a lot of things that I do for reducing waste that I don't often see discussed.

I have no chemicals in my home rather than baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and a biodegradable, unscented dishwashing liquid. All those things replace detergents, bleach and ammonia, window cleaners, deodorizers, and other harsh chemicals. Oops, I forgot that I keep WD-40 and vaseline for emergency situations. I haven't had one for about 3 years, though. Better than Goo-Gone.
I never worry about my 'gray water' polluting. I use so little of any of them, they last me for ages, other than the vinegar. I use it to rinse the diswashing soap from my clothes, when necessary.

Where my home is parked, I use a freezer and no fridge, because you can always keep a cooler cold with frozen jugs.
I keep my milk in a glass thermos, so it doesn't spoil as fast. I drink a lot of tea with milk, so it stays on the counter all day, in the freezer at night. Works out perfectly.

I use a WonderWasher for my clothes now, since water is not directly available here, and I have to carry it in. I do a load or two when I'm ambitious. 3 gallons for the wash, and the same for the rinse.
Ecover and BioClean have been wonderful for cleaning clothes, and vinegar kiils bacteria between washings, so no body odor smell if I spray clothes as I take them off for another day's use. I'm allergic to Dr. Bronner's.
I have a clothes spinner for when I have power, but an imitation 'sham-wow' thing from the dollar tree for drying things otherwise. Larger things just have to drip dry.
I've nearly eliminated my tp consumption by using a condiment squeeze bottle as my portable bidet, and use old pajamas and t-shirts for liquids. Vinegar is your friend here, too. One half-sheet of Bounty will suffice for the browns. YMMV. lol

Because of multiple chemical sensitivities, I cannot use essential oils, scented products of any kind, or anything made from liquid petroleum products, which includes lotions, soaps, most 'artificial flavors', perfumes, cosmetics, detergents, deodorizers, cleaners, and I can't rmemeber what else.
So, water does the trick for everything regarding my body. Once you stop removing your body oils with overshowering and soaping, then trying to rehydrate with lotions made from fats thinned with alcohol, which is what most of them are (read the labels) it's amazing how your body feels healthier. Water, in and on your body, is the best thing for it. Not all that stuff the commercials tell you that you 'need.' Baths are better than showers, and I have a huge tub for when I have water. (That becomes my 'washer' then.)

That goes for shampoo, too. It takes a little while for your scalp to adjust, but it likes not having chemicals poured on it. This is why people brushed their hair 100 strokes each night. Your natural oils make your hair naturally shiny, and distributes them to the ends. I'm surprised at how many compliments I get on my complexion and hair, and no one believes me when I say that I use nothing but water. shrug

On average, I generally use less than a gallon of water each day. I drink/cook with a quart or so, I use a small bowl to first wash myself, then rinse out my commode in the morning, then I use the bowl again to wash any dishes and surfaces that may not be clean from the day before. Leaving that bowl with a soap foamer by it is the way to keep hands and dishes clean during the day. Depending on the weather, using a bucket of warm water for a shower is delightful, and if I'm clever, I can use that water for some hand-wash, too. In the summer, I rinse my hair much more often.
All this came about from problem-solving while I was either very ill from the mcs, or blind before I got my corneal transplants, and unable to get out and about. Necessity is a great teacher.

The most electrical power I use regularly is for an electric pressure cooker, at 1000 watts, that probably runs up to an hour a day. I use it to make steel cut oats, rice, and beans for about half that time, and the rest for heating my water for washing and actually heating my kitchen in the cooler months. I was astonished at the difference it makes. Cooking my meals on the rack, in a bowl, makes it so that I hardly ever wash the pressure cooker pot, and it cleans itself up when run at 'steam' for a minute when I get the whole thing dirty with soup, beans, or curry. This reduces my need for water at all, let alone hot water for doing dishes.
A few other appliances take up the rest of my power, but I don't use them often.
The freezer and my laptop are the only other things that run up my power bill daily. All my lights are led. Nearly everything else I use is usb powered or charged. Very low voltage. My power bill is less than $7/month in the non-heating season, at 12¢/KWh. So, I feel pretty good about that. My entire home can be measured by one Kill-o-Watt meter. That's how I know.

I prefer to wear more clothes than raise the heat in the colder months, but keep my wardrobe to a minimum. Why buy new clothes, when wasteful people who are Kon-Mari-ing all over the place are donating perfectly good clothing for the tax write-offs? lol
Vinegar removes most detergent odors and residue from these non-dry-cleanable items, and kills mold, mildew, and germs.
I buy new underwear, shoes, and socks, as needed only, not just for 'fun'. (Well, tbh, I do love cheap fun socks from the DT, but I don't go wild.)
Otherwise, I just buy used clothes of a quality that I couldn't afford otherwise. I travel with 3 pairs of pants,(two of them can be turned into shorts) a dress that can be worn over them or alone, one pair of leggings, a set of thermals, 3 pairs of panties, 4 pairs of socks of varying weights, and a total of 6 tops, with different sleeves and weights, with some nice scarves. I carry a small soap foamer in my pack, so washing is not an issue.
Depending where I am going, I have a fleece vest, a zip hoodie, and a parka. If I need more, I 'rent' it from a thrift store while it's necessary, and return it when I'm done. My house has special occassion clothes, but only a few. I love what I wear, and if I don't, I give someone else the opportunity to enjoy it. Pass it on.
I seldom buy anything new. My leather backpack is 25 years old, and I just bought a newer, waterproof, lightweight one as a day pack for my more active pursuits. It folds up into the older one, so travel is easier. I doubt it will outlast the leather one, though.

I had to downsize long ago, and my hoarder instincts can take over if I go places that have really cool, inexpensive, quality, unique items that I really like. But, if something comes in, something else has to go.

My sewing machine has saved me lots and lots of money over the years. I'm so excited to be able to see again, it's going to get a workout mending a few things around here, too. Finding inexpensive fabric is easy, and sewing it into something you need is so rewarding. Thrift store curtains, duvet covers, drapes, etc. give amazing yardage for very little money. I've found some silk brocade that cost me about 50¢ a yard.

This works as gift and barter economy, too.

If that's not enough, well, I'm tired. See you later.

Oz