Was there something about full-time vandwelling that was different than you expected?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Maybe it was a one time thing or something recurring. Maybe it's something negative or positive. Maybe it's about something external or internal.

I think it was the look of longing on everyone's face when I told them about my adventures so far.  

I talk to a guy at the phone store today, that took a break so he could check out my van.  

I think it was this picture that set him off.

Attachments

• Sunrise rtr.jpg
    Sunrise rtr.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 36
Noodly
I only have vague memories of the time before I moved onto wheels......
I don't remember what I expected but I knew I had to do it !

GS , nice ! You might just be considered a member of the recruiting elite after that one.....

How can every camp site be better than the last one? 98% Boondockers. 1 1/2 years full timing, I cut ties and burned bridges. Couldn't be happier, more peacefully and healthier and more creative.

I expected the change in lifestyle to be harder. But I must have been more ready for the change than I thought.

MrNoodly said:
I expected the change in lifestyle to be harder. But I must have been more ready for the change than I thought.

I was surprised at how many places there are to camp for free in the Western U.S. - truly amazing.

Noodly,
I was surprised at how everything takes longer in a van.  Getting in bed takes longer, getting up takes longer, preparing a meal takes longer, minor repairs take longer, finding the flashlight takes longer, and so on.  I don't think that the lack of need to rush causes it.  You get used to it.  Life seems to move at a slower pace.

"Getting in bed takes longer..."  I just pivot 90 degrees and flop horizontal. ;)

"...getting up takes longer..."  I have a handle I grab, pull myself vertical, pivot 90 degrees and I'm up. (Though getting up is overrated. Mmmmmm, comfy bed.) ;)

"...finding the flashlight takes longer..."  Mine is always held by the door with a magnet.

But, yeah, things can take longer.

Trebor English said:
Noodly,
I was surprised at how everything takes longer in a van.  Getting in bed takes longer, getting up takes longer, preparing a meal takes longer, minor repairs take longer, finding the flashlight takes longer, and so on.  I don't think that the lack of need to rush causes it.  You get used to it.  Life seems to move at a slower pace.

Sheesh....... I just thought it was an age thing.  I feel much better now. :)

I am healthier, happier, and even more educated. I am more social (something I feared in the past) and have many more [true] friends then when I was stationary. I may not be any richer (financially) but I sure have enjoyed the past 6 years of my life a million times more than the 39 previous years.

My only regret is that I did not start this lifestyle earlier

reading this, I sorta wish I hadn't jumped on the ;and / cabin idea when I lost my apartment, but I'd still be tied to the job *sigh*

Granted, the last time I was living in my van was 32 yrs ago, but I was surprised how many times guys hit on me. Jeeeez! Homeless = Victim???

I only met three Gypsy (Romany) family groups, but they all stole anything that wasn't welded down. UNLESS you lent them something -- THAT, they wouldn't take.

Yeah, there was something that was different about vandwelling than what I expected... 
The fact that it can stink to high heaven from many different things: dirty clothes piled up in a tightly-sealed bag; dirty shoes; off-gassing from the interior plastic (which also leaves a stench trail on my clothes)...

Also, I can never seem to keep the friggin floor free from mud, lint, grass, cottony-plant-based seeds, rainwater getting tracked in from walking in the rain etc. 

Still, taking only a few minutes to dust out a large van is nothing, when in comparison to a stupid stix + brix house! Too many routine chores to contend with having to live in a friggin house! 

TrainChaser said:
Open the windows more.

Technically, my new Transit 150 van has just the driver + passenger windows only, yet I made a floor vent opening near the front of the cargo area so it works out gr8! Fresh air galore, especially with my Fantastic Fan. Overnight I had the fan on and I needed the heavy blanket on, in spite of the summer temperatures!  

bobbert said:
Also, I can never seem to keep the friggin floor free from mud, lint, grass, cottony-plant-based seeds, rainwater getting tracked in from walking in the rain etc. 

AH!  This trick I picked up my first month.  Doormat!

what works real good for a door mat is that new synthetic grass. 4x4 or bigger. nothing hurts it, it feels good on bare feet, and you can usually pick up a free piece from an installer. btw dogs love it. highdesertranger

GotSmart said:

Being a contrarian, my doormat is inside. It doesn't blow away, it doesn't get rained on, and I don't accidentally drive off without it.

I thought I would get bored at times. Hasn't happened yet. In fact, my DVD player rarely gets used, I haven't kept up on my crossword puzzles, the harmonica is gathering dust, etc. Too busy with hiking, driving, biking, conversing, reading, working occasionally, exercising, just looking at nature or people watching, and all the necessary chores of daily life. Not that I'm overwhelmed with busyness, I just don't push myself and usually do things at a slower pace. So I don't accomplish as much. Which is totally fine with me!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk