Warped rotors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I knew my rotors were warping. It finally got bad enough that I had them replaced. They had been trued before, so it wasn't an option to do it again. Here's what my old rotor looked like. Ooooo, look at the shiny bumps.

Every Jeep I've ever owned has had rotors made out of cheese, got very accustomed to getting them right into the shop when I could feel the start of the shudder, one new set of rotors was enough!

Most mechanics I know of here, put new rotors out of the box on a lathe to keep the returns to a minimum.

Driver habits can play a big part in perceived rotor warpage. Sometimes it is actually warped, sometimes they pulsing pedal is caused by brake pad deposits.

The deposits can happen if one brakes hard and then holds the brakes firmly while waiting at a traffic light. the brake pad will transfer an imprint of brake pad material on the rotor which remains grabbier and gives the pedal that pulsed feeling.

If I have to brake hard and wait at a traffic light, I take it out of gear and use my parking brake. Whenever I know my pads and rotors are very hot, I try not to keep the brakes firmly clamped on the rotors.

Some drivers keep so much pressure on the brakes when stopped that they will often cause the pad deposits and the pulsing. Many vehicles with reported rotor issues simply have higher idle speeds which require more pressure on the brake pedal to keep vehicle from rolling forward. Combine this with hard braking at the last second and the inevitable result is s pulsing pedal.

So not every pulsing pedal is caused by a warped rotor, it can be caused by uneven brake pad deposits, and these uneven pad deposits do not necessarily require a brake lathe or new rotors.

Properly bedding the new brake pads into new or old rotors is also a consideration. One wants a nice even transfer of brake pad material to rotor, and this means the initial drive it is extra important to not get the brakes super hot and then keep them clamped in one place.

20150326_204926%20copy_zpsdda5ubkn.jpg

The proper section of road to bed in new brake pads needs to be considered.

Not all brake pads say they need bedding in. The above pic is from my Hawk HPS brake pads which are not cheap, but have incredible stopping power, and very little dust.

another point, cheap rotors from China often have hard or soft spots from impurities in the cast iron. try to get a quality name brand. I like Canadian castings since you can't find ones cast in the USA anymore. highdesertranger

It's about as cheap to replace rotors as to turn them these days.And much faster and convenient.

To avoid changing rotors as often, I use SEMI-METALLIC (softer) pads rather than the harder, longer lasting Ceramic pads. They wear out faster and create more dust, but I don't have to change the rotors as often.

I do my own brake jobs and have replace my rotors with cheaper Chinese rotors (when needed).