Walmart Anderson, CA--Odd Overnight Policy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I arrived at the Walmart in Anderson, CA at dusk and noticed an obvious absence of RVs in the parking lot.   There were 3 big rigs parked off to the side.

I asked an employee if overnight parking was OK and he said it was for trucks only, and suggested I check in with Customer Service.   The lady at customer service reaffired that parking was only for trucks and asked if I was a truck driver.   I replied "yes" and she said "have a nice night."

It's good to drive an RV that appears to be a commercial step van.

My Motorhome is a converted 379 Peterbilt road tractor with a 16’ Morgan dry van box on the back. It looks like a standard commercial straight truck. I have been parking at many different Walmarts for the past ten years. If I arrive at a Walmart which has posted No Overnight Parking (NOP) I just park by the semi trucks and I never get bothered; never told to leave. I’m just another commercial truck waiting to make a delivery.

If your vehicle is large, like a step van or straight truck, this can provide you with significant advantages over typical Class A or C RV motorhomes.

Just my opinion . . .

No bickering please. Bickering posts will be deleted.

If you're unsure of the parking situation the best course of action is to check with the store manager or customer service. Just be aware that the answer you get from one employee may not be the same as another employee's or the same as the lot security patrol.

Having worked in the logistics industry, truck drivers are often on very tight schedules. Now, elogs are required and every second of their day is monitored. When not driving, they have very little time to find a place to park and get the sleep needed. Whereas, RVers are considered to be living a life of leisure. Also, many now try to take up residence in those parking lots, where as the truck driver is known to be just passing thru on work related business. While it is a huge inconvenience and annoyance to me that I am not welcome to park overnight at many Walmarts, I commend the Anderson store for supporting the country's logistics industry without which we would all be screwed.

As far as white lies go, posing as a truck driver to spend a night or two at WM is pretty tame IMHO. The Anderson WM policy keeps out squatters who would overstay their welcome, which is more likely to happen in Cali, I suppose. It makes sense to prioritize parking for trucks that are delivering goods to WM but the others just passing through? A quick look at the map shows that there are two truck stops 11 miles up the road in Redding and their are probably rest areas in the area also.

speedhighway46 said:
My Motorhome is a converted 379 Peterbilt road tractor with a 16’ Morgan dry van box on the back. It looks like a standard commercial straight truck. I have been parking at many different Walmarts for the past ten years. If I arrive at a Walmart which has posted No Overnight Parking (NOP) I just park by the semi trucks and I never get bothered; never told to leave. I’m just another commercial truck waiting to make a delivery.

If your vehicle is large, like a step van or straight truck, this can provide you with significant advantages over typical Class A or C RV motorhomes.

Just my opinion . . .

Roger that.   This is my third night in with the big rigs at another Walmart, this time in Nevada.

My white colored 26 foot step van with the roll up back door fits right in with the rest of the commercial crowd.   Since my step van has dual rear wheels and I have a commercial insurance policy, that damn well makes me a truck driver.   No misrepresentation there...

If the best place to hide a book is in a library, the best place to hide a step van is in with other commercial vehicles. ?

Anyway, a few of you got your panties in a twist over nothing, as the purpose of my post was to inform of a new to me policy by some Walmart stores.   That was achieved.

speedhighway46 said:
My Motorhome is a converted 379 Peterbilt road tractor with a 16’ Morgan dry van box on the back. It looks like a standard commercial straight truck...
The ultimate in stealth. I have considered these. I would love it.