Minivan Parking in No park overnight Walmart

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysawfan

Reaction score
If you are very stealthy in the minivan, can you park overnight in No overnight parking Walmart 24 hour store in a Minivan? is it better to go to Cracker Barrel and park amongst the RVs? 
I have been very fearful of either so I drive to truck stops and rest areas or check into Airbnbs. In the Central Florida area most Walmarts are no overnight parking.

I wouldn’t.

They are wise to the ways of those that want to get around the no parking rule, and a sharp rap on your window in the middle of the night, and being told to move, is a pia.

Why risk it?

ladysawfan said:
In the Central Florida area most Walmarts are no overnight parking.

I have noticed that some of the signs say "no overnight RV parking."  I take that to mean that my Ford Windstar mini van is welcome to park at all hours.  I don't think I'm welcome to stay all 24 at once but midnight to 6 am aren't forbidden.

It is a bit more complicated....

Walmart's corporate policy has always been to allow RVs, trucks, campervans and travelers to park and sleep in their lots. There is nothing whatever illegal or against the law about it. However, Walmart allows each individual manager to set the parking policy for each store, and since most Walmarts change managers like we change socks, the policy often changes at random, from one direction to the other. So a store that allows parking one week can change the next, and vice versa. But it is then up to the store manager to inform customers if the store does not follow Walmart's corporate policy. (And alas the various websites that list Walmart parking are usually way out of date and unable to keep up with the constant changes.)

There are also many Walmarts in which the official policy is set to "no parking" but which in reality allow parking anyway. Most times, this is because the local jurisdiction has an ordinance against "sleeping in a vehicle" and makes Walmart put up the signs, but the Walmart itself has no objection to people parking and won't enforce the ordinance. (And indeed most Walmarts do not have any security personnel in the lot and make no effort at all to enforce any such ordinance.) In many other cases, it is because Walmart itself does not own the parking lot and cannot legally give permission to park there--but again they don't actually object to it and won't care if you do. So the vast majority of Walmarts who have "no parking" signs up actually don't mind if people park overnight, and won't ask you to leave even though it might be technically banned. I have parked in many many of these.

Even in many Walmarts that do have a "no parking" policy and who will enforce it with security and actively ask folks to leave, we traveling vandwellers are not their target. Despite the rather silly conspiracy theories that some people have about Walmart colluding with "Big RV Lots!" to "force people to pay to park!", any time a Walmart bans parking in its lot they are always excruciatingly clear about the reasons why and make no secret of it, and those are always the same reasons: homeless people who move in and stay for years, homeless people who make a mess and dump their shit (literally) in the parking lot, and homeless people who panhandle all the customers. If you are not one of the morons who are doing those things, most Walmarts will simply not bother you. When I park, I am a good neighbor. I do not make a mess. I do not attract any attention. I do not make any light or noise. I do not look like a homeless person. I stay in the back of the van, unnoticed and overlooked. I move the van several times a day and never park in the same spot. Virtually none of the customers or employees ever even notice I am there. Several times I have had Walmart security folks wave to me as I walked across their parking lot, so they obviously knew I was there (and indeed it is their job to know I am there). But since I was not doing anything they objected to and not causing any trouble, they left me alone. I am not the droids they are looking for.

PS--I've never had a problem in any Cracker Barrel. Their policy too is to allow travelers to park overnight. And I like their meatloaf. :)

Walmart's policy is to follow local laws. If the city or town they are located in has an ordinance against overnight parking then they follow it. They have no choice. This is one of the reasons so many in vans try to be stealth. The authorities are not fooled and vans stand out like sore thumbs to them. If you park and sleep where it is illegal you are breaking the law and should move on.

Thanks very much to all of you. I always feel like yelling, "I am NOT homeless, I am just starting a freelance career!" When I park at night. Course then people would just think i am crazy :)
So the important notes: get the velcro and make sure the blackout curtains truly block all light coming out. and to arrive late, and leave early and buy something.

They don’t care about the “why” you are in your van overnight, homeless, self employed or just traveling.

If it says “no camping” or “no overnight parking” anywhere, be that Walmart, a rest stop, pullout, scenic view, etc., that does mean you.

Having been ousted a couple of times after being soundly asleep, it is rather disorienting in and of itself, and then you still have to find someplace else, in the dead of night, to stay til morning.

It’s not worth it, to me.

lenny flank said:
PS--I've never had a problem in any Cracker Barrel. Their policy too is to allow travelers to park overnight. And I like their meatloaf.  :)

I like their pancakes, lenny! But here in the Daytona area, I think they may have to disallow some things during Bike Week because of too much overnight parking. Not sure, i think I heard that, though.

The beauty of a minivan is that you are so stealth without even trying that street parking amongst others is easy. I have never used a walmart in many years of boondocking, I have driven into them looked around and left on a few occasions, I don;t find them very interesting places to park nor do I feel that secure even if they are all lit up. A lot of truck stops are very noisy but some are ok if they back onto greenery. I suppose there might be some Walmart’s like that as well and I know it is convenient but personnaly I never really cared for them.

I don't understand the point, I've never been anywhere that didn't have legal overnight street parking so why bother violating some private properties parking policy?

As noted, it does not violate Walmart's parking policy.

owl said:
Walmart's policy is to follow local laws. If the city or town they are located in has an ordinance against overnight parking then they follow it. They have no choice. 

They do have a choice. Since the cops have better things to do with their time than drive around Walmart's lot all night looking for parkers, the only people who will actually see you there are Walmart employees. And it's up to them whether they will report you to the cops or not.

Generally, unless you are being a PITA, they will not.

But that is mostly up to the store manager's policy.

They have a choice of whether to call the police or not. They have no choice in following local laws. The police routinely patrol through all kinds of parking lots including Walmarts. As any officer will tell you parking lots are often where all kinds of crimes are committed.

Well, all I can say is that I've been Walmart-camping for four years in 60-some cities in 30 states, and have only ever been asked to leave once--by a new manager who had just changed the store policy that week and was allowing RVs to overnight but not vans. I have never had a cop issue in any Walmart.

But then, I am careful to deliberately select Walmarts that do not object to people parking. If someone has been repeatedly kicked out of Walmarts, they are choosing the wrong Walmarts. Some of them absolutely will kick you out, and those are all listed on the various websites that keep track of such things. I try to avoid parking in those places where I am actively not wanted.

As for the "why Walmart?" question--Walmart has all the things I need, in one convenient place. Food, water, a bathroom, wifi, and a safe place to park overnight (even though most Walmarts do not have any security guards in the lot, there are still always people around). And they are everywhere in every city.

Gr8ful said:
What if you put the hood part way up like a breakdown?

That will only attract attention to you, which you don't want. And it's not necessary. Most Walmarts have no objection at all to people overnighting.

Starting out I used Walmart lots a few times. I thought they were too brightly lit and had noisy vacuum trucks running around, brightly lit security patrols, cart roundups etc going on, but I was not asked to leave. I liked having the store there to buy camping gear and then breakfast in the morning.     ~crofter

Cracker Barrel's policy is to allow customers to overnight. So buy something...anything to be able to put the receipt in the window. The store carries pop and candy bars if nothing else. I have watched them drop tow notices on vehicles without receipts and leave those with receipts alone.