Wall Panels - 2 Fir or Not 2 Fir

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin H

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put in wall panels. I see many folks firring out and then installing panels. What is the reason for firring vs just attaching the panels to the wall ribs?

I insulated with Thinsulate. No Reflectix or foam panels.

I attached firring strips - some were 1x2 and some 1x3 depending in what wall panels I was going to attach to them. I also installed vertical strips where needed by using the Kreg pocket screw jig.

The GMC Savana I have is problematic to attach wall panels directly to the metal ribs in that they are contoured and have numerous cutouts in them. I had to use a variety of methods of attaching the 1x2s to the ribs because I wanted them specifically placed based on the interior layout. The rib design didn't always co-operate... :rolleyes:

The older vans had more straight ribs with virtually no holes in them except where someone had previously drilled in to them. They were more suited to attaching the panels directly.

If you're going to use one long panel floor to ceiling and edge to edge or if your layout is such that direct application is more suitable then it's certainly okay to do do. The one caveat to that is that there will be little or nothing to attach interior components to.

I sited the firring so that my cabinetry and bed frame etc were able to be screwed not only to the floor but to the firring strips as well. The wall panels vary based on where in the van they are....the one behind the kitchen counter is only behind the counter. Another panel, which is finished differently, is only from bed height to the ceiling - it's finished with marine vinyl.

I like the factory made wall panels... you're done in 30-minutes.

Those all carpet liners would be extreme hell to live in full-time. Can you imagine the dust, dirt, food odors etc.etc that will collect in them over the period of a few months.

Thanks but all the surfaces of a van dwellers home need to be easily washable and dirt resistant IMO.

AND there's nothing there to attach any interior components to!

There's some for sale that are a pvc like material, but it would be hard to beat real wood.

Latest posts