Volcano Grill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geogentry

Reaction score
Does anyone have any hands on experience with the Volcano Grill?

I have looked at a lot of reviews and they all seem on the positive side of things.  i have looked and there are just no used ones for sale - not on ebay and not on craigslist.

Why it interests me.  It can use one of three fuels.  It is portable.  And it can collapse down to only a five inch tall disk.  The fuel use makes it pretty versatile and collapsing down makes it pretty easy to store for moving around.

Anyone have any hands on experience they would like to share?

I was very close to pushing the button, just have many other cooking devices but it looks like it could do the job just fine.

wagoneer said:
I was very close to pushing the button, just have many other cooking devices but it looks like it could do the job just fine.

I think so also.  But sometimes the cons don't show up in online reviews.  As my departure date nears I find space is an extreme premium, but that is a topic for another thread

gsfish said:
I bought one of the 2s (no propane) at a yard sale for $10, haven't used it yet, pretty heavy.
Thats a heck of a bargain.  

I have seen their website.  Not much there which is kind of comforting since it means the concentrate on thing.  
I read what history I could on the things.  Seems they were invented to be used with a dutch oven.  followed that lead up and found a review by someone covering their use with a dutch oven.  Was informative - she used 20 little charcoal briquettes to cook a meal for her family.  Bag of charcoal could last a pretty long while 

Was wondering on the weight.  Weight is not an issue right now for me.  But I considered how cheap things were being made these days and if its heavy it should hopefully be sturdy enough to last a long while.

I also read that your supposed to wipe down the inside of the thing with oil before putting it away each time.  Didnt make sense to me at first since a new fire would burn off most of the oil.  I think the idea was to keep the grill from rusting while stored.

Anyway - Thanks much for the info.

geogentry said:
Why it interests me.  It can use one of three fuels.  It is portable.  And it can collapse down to only a five inch tall disk.  The fuel use makes it pretty versatile and collapsing down makes it pretty easy to store for moving around.

Anyone have any hands on experience they would like to share?
Yes, we have one and LOVE IT!  First the negatives-it is heavy.  That is the one and only negative I can think of.
Positives-It is really easy to open up or close down.  Uses three types of fuel-propane, charcoal, or even wood.  (we have not used wood in it yet).  Great to grill meats on, or use a dutch oven in the top like you would use on a fire, or with charcoal.  You can use the thing for a fire at night and sit around it.  It can sit on top of a wood picnic table, use it and no heat comes out the bottom so no fear of starting the picnic table on fire.   It is extremely well made. And it has a bag to store it in,  only let it cool before you close it and put it away for safety.  Hoping I will remember to bring it with me to the RTR.
It was well worth the money, but don't think it's been around long enough to find them at garage sales very often.  Ours is the only one I ever saw in person.

Thank you so much for the feedback.  I read a lot of online feedback but you just cant always tell if it is unpaid.

The one thing I noticed though is, as you said, there aren't any out there for sale used.  But the company has been round for 13 years so they are not really new on the scene.  I guess that means everyone who bought one still likes it.

From the recipes on their site it seems they designed the thing to be used with a dutch oven.  It may be they added the grill idea as a way to get more people to use it.

Guess it is time to save some pennies in that direction.  The multi-use ability makes it worthwhile.  If I am going to carry around something I would really like it to have more than one function, if possible.

No one has mentioned the lid (Volcano 30-700 Lid) which is made from a heat resistant material that folds down flat and fits inside the Volcano carry case.  To me the lid is essential whether you're grilling or using the dutch oven.  It holds the heat in, speeds up the cooking process, and conserves charcoal for dutch oven cooking.  The Volcano excels with dutch oven cooking.  As stated, it's heavy, very sturdy, but even collapsed it is not a small grill. There are some YouTube videos on using the grill.

I bought one of their first models (non-collapsible, non-gas) nearly 20 years ago. It's great.

I like the fact that it is heavy, perching hot food on top of a backpacking stove has always made me nervous, even though I've never had an accident.

Yes, they are made so that you can drop a correctly sized dutch oven right down into the top of the stove. Works a treat.

Built to last. And great people to deal with.

Yes I have one and use it quite frequently. I also have the lid. I dont use the propane assembly as I have a propane stove in the trailer and prefer the flavor of charcoal and woodchips. I actually gave one to a friend since is arrived dented and the company told me to keep it and sent me another one hehe.
LilNomad

LilNomad said:
Yes I have one and use it quite frequently. I also have the lid. I dont use the propane assembly as I have a propane stove in the trailer and prefer the flavor of charcoal and woodchips. I actually gave one to a friend since is arrived dented and the company told me to keep it and sent me another one hehe.
LilNomad
To be honest we almost always use ours with charcoal also.  But at least the other options are there if needed.

I had one and successfully used it with charcoal, propane, and mesquite wood.  I have a Lodge Combo Cooker that worked okay with it, so I'm sure the Dutch Oven would have been great.  The combo cooker was a little wobbly in it because of the handle.  I liked using the fold flat lid BUT it was a funky woven fiberglass material that shed on everything.  (No fun picking fiberglass shards out of my clothing.)  Never found a good solution to that problem, and the grill mysteriously disappeared when my roommate left suddenly.  (The downside of it being compact and easy to carry. )

When finances permit, I will most likely replace it and look for something different for the "lid".  IMO it is well worth the money they ask for it.

Latest posts