Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well jeez, a parrot changes everything...put a perch on the passenger side, keep a little rum in his water bottle (for courage) and he can tell ya when it's safe to pass. Problem solved!   :idea:

johnny b said:
"...a parrot changes everything...put a perch on the passenger side, keep a little rum in his water bottle
(for courage) and he can tell ya when it's safe to pass.  Problem solved! :idea:

Johnny,  if this Landcruiser discussion goes much further I'm 'gonna need a little rum
in my water bottle.  For inspiration.
I better hunt up a new CL treasure pronto.

:rolleyes: Charlotte

you don't need stinkin parrot. you ain't gong to be passing anybody in that Landcruiser. of course a parrot would be cool. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
"...I was looking for one of the most remote areas in Continental US, think I found it, at least most of the year.  We shop in Grand Junction Colorado 225 miles away.  So yeah I keep a lot of spare parts and try to keep more than one vehicle working well."

Bullfrog,
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.  I was disappointed you were't "around" to offer sage comments
re our latest vintage pic:  a road warrior Landcruiser!  But, hey it's not too late.   Looks to me like HDR
hasn't backed off yet.  
HDR's a little touchy on the subject at moment, so mind what you say on subject. :p

I pulled up your stomping grounds on google maps.  Location near water looks awful good...
Is it terribly cold in winter?  You already said summers are hot.  So far, I am still sold on my choice,
with 4 gentle seasons, plentiful nearby firewood source, & not too far from the MX border.
While some might consider that a negative, I like the idea.  Despite the trouble there now, a day
might come when it could be the better option.

So, what do you think of the Toyota Landcruiser?  If it didn't have right hand drive...

:angel: Heaven help us!
  Charlotte

Had a great Thanksgiving! Yes it gets cold to me in southern Utah for a couple months but as I live at just about lake level at 3700 feet we usually have a lot of wind with it so we go south to the border in Arizona or California, usually January and February. We do have snow all around us when we leave but anything we get here usually melts the next day or so. I'm shocked at the idea HDR would recommend anything so radical and non-stock on the Toyota (He must have had a little on the holiday and loosen up, HA!). My feeling is if your gonna use a Chevy motor build a Chevy truck, get parts that were engineered to work together from the factory. I must admit I have considered putting a Chevy 350 in my old Toyota Sequoia as replacement motors cost more than the whole car is worth and the body is in great shape. I had a right hand drive mail jeep that was a little hard to get used to. I kept wanting to get a paper route for some reason. A one ton 4 wheel drive Diesel engine solves a lot of problems with towing and trailers but I'm one of those guys that doesn't like driving a big truck down a narrow two track, hates the high compression/heat/maintenance that diesel engines require and always liked small light weight vehicles with easy to maintain drive trains that were easy to get unstuck, flat tow or jump start. Most 6 cylinder Toyota guys end up quoting the old TV commercial " Wow I should have had a V8." Just to get the conversation going it seems to me the old gear reduction air cooled VW van governed to 52 MPH (I think) was rated at one ton, bet most people that drove one would have liked to have a Chevy V8 but mine did 90MPH and went 100,000 miles with regular maintenance and all German parts before it wore completely out.

you know what Bullfrog you are absolutely right about the conversion, I would never use one myself. I also agree about the best off roaders are small light weight vehicles. that's why I like my ATV's. plus I learned a long time ago that life is much less stressful if you don't use your primary vehicle for serious off road exploring. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
"...I had a right hand drive mail jeep that was a little hard to get used to.
I kept wanting to get a paper route for some reason." 

Bullfrog, that's rich!  LMAO :D
Charlotte

Wow!  Just found this 1983 Jeep J20.  Remember how I swooned
over the fully restored 1980 Jeep J10?   Well this Jeep, newer
& beefier, is offered at $5K---a quarter the asking price of the J10.  

Question: does AMC 360 refer to the engine?  If so, please offer
your thoughts on this...re suitable replacement, if/when needed.

This J20 is in lovely condition.  If I were ready to buy now
would not hesitate to make trip to Oregon.  Oregon has no
sales tax---so a good place to buy tires.  It may even mean
no sales tax included in DMV transfer.  Worth checking.

So far, as of today, all the trucks I've posted in this thread
are still for sale on CL!  (HDR, however, may be closing in on
the Road Warrior Landcruiser, Ha Ha.)

I am tempted to call about this J20!  Please have a look &
suggest any issues I should ask about.  I am really curious
about this one.  Plus, I need some "CL practice".

Also, in the pic of undercarriage, is that an acceptable amount
of rust?  

Thanks gentlemen!
 :shy: Charlotte

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1983-jeep-j20-truck/6393913029.html

nice 3/4 ton Jeep. yes the AMC 360 is the engine. rust isn't bad but that's only one pic and not a very good one. not my favorite transfer case, it's a NP 208. personally I like all these 2nd tier tucks, however in the future parts might be a problem. there is just not enough of them around, in fact there never was that many around. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"...nice 3/4 ton Jeep.   however in the future parts might be a problem.  there is just not enough of them around,  in fact there never was that many around."

OK Stranger, I hear you re shortage of parts.  It's 'gonna be tough finding a good old Ford/Chevy tho.
Plenty of half tons on CL---some really nice ones, but I've gotta have a 3/4 ton & hope for 4WD.

I'll just have to get over this fixation I've got on copper colored Jeep trucks! :p 

(So, when are you picking up the Landcruiser?  LOL)

Thanks,  :)
Charlotte

Copper color hides rust well is why you see so many of them, look closely at the front of the rear fender flare. The bed is almost always the second place to rust, first is the floor boards of the cab which looks like they used bed liner on also covers fixes and rust well. Most of the body sheet metal repair panels are cheap and available but good body shop labor is expensive unless you do your own. Electric windows and locks means they will be expensive some day to fix. Low miles on the drive train and as HDR said the other day there are lots of shops that can do a Chevy conversion but better to just find a Chevy. A AMC 360 is going to be twice as much as a Chevy especially if you put in a DUI distributor (basically a Chevy HEI conversion) and if frequently changing altitudes Chevy throttle body injection which is a converted from Chevy to the AMC 360 also. I really like my Jeep but parts are more expensive and a little harder to find than small block Chevy. You are doing a great job of finding old jeep trucks keep up the good work! Price is good if mechanically sound. But I would offer $3,500 and see what happens. Some of the AMC 360 engines had altitude compensating carburetors which when they malfunctioned caused all the exhaust valves to burn, don't ask me how I know.

[quote pid='352713' dateline='1511913160']
"...You are doing a great job of finding old jeep trucks keep up the good work!  Price is good if mechanically sound. But I would offer $3,500 and see what happens."
[/quote]

Bullfrog, all of your hints/advice are welcome & this latest  "download"  especially so. 
I might just call the owner, once I've got a proper list of questions.  I tend to hold with
the wisdom of sticking with a Chevy, but if this truck sits for sale on & on like all the
others are doing, I'd consider it at the price you suggest. 

An awful long way to travel for a comprehensive rust inspection, tho.  Thanks a lot for
taking the time to pass on all that helpful rust stuff.  Oregon is wet, and Bend snowy,
so salt damage possible.  Better really, if I can find a SW truck.  I am learning so much
each time I throw a new truck up here to be picked apart.

:rolleyes: Charlotte

Oregon does not salt their roads. they use Pumice in most areas or sand in other areas. but this has the effect of sand blasting your rocker panels and inner fenders. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"Oregon does not salt their roads.  they use Pumice in most areas or sand in other areas.  but this has the effect of sand blasting your rocker panels and inner fenders."

OK, I am 'gonna pass on that Jeep in Oregon.  Yikes, sand blasting. :s
Stranger, you are veritable cornucopia of information...how do you do it?

Charlotte

Most of the western states use volcanic cinder (finely ground lava rock) for snow and ice covered roads, and yes, it is abrasive.

tx2sturgis said:
"Most of the western states use volcanic cinder (finely ground lava rock) for snow and ice covered roads, and yes, it is abrasive."

Texas,
This vintage truck quest grows more complex by the minute.
If not rust then pumice!  Not to mention "wrong" transfer
case (whatever that is).  And don't tell me, when it comes
to transfer cases ignorance is bliss.

Maybe instead I'll just plan on a good gentle mid-size mule.  
After all, I do know horseflesh.  Or, worst case scenario, a
pair of big donkeys---in case the CA real estate bubble bursts
before I get my place sold!

But either way, I'll have to trade my English saddle for a
Western  'lounge'  with saddle bags (& silver conchos!).  

But today, it's packing tape & sorting, sorting, sorting.

:huh: Charlotte

I vote for a couple of nice mammoth donkeys Charlotte!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte\ said:
Just could not resist posting this CL offering in Reno, NV.
1980 Jeep J10
Obviously not the truck for me---but I can drool can't I?  

Feast your eyes on this high desert beauty.
:heart: Charlotte

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/1980-jeep-j10/6376495840.html

Just browsed the specs. That is one well built truck! Even the axles are both tough Dana 44's with limited slip and trac lok rear, so properly loaded that truck should be able to get you just about anywhere you want to go.
It's a BEAUTY! :)

Ballenxj said:
Just browsed the specs. That is one well built truck! Even the axles are both tough Dana 44's with limited slip and trac lok rear, so properly loaded that truck should be able to get you just about anywhere you want to go.
It's a BEAUTY! :)

Delighted you've weighed in.  A BEAUTY indeed!  Truth is, when I first laid eyes
on this Jeep it was love at first sight.  Current reality does not allow purchase
of any truck. (Even later, the $20K asking price twice what I'm likely to spend.)

However, if by some miracle it remains for sale until funds available, I've come
to conclusion that, given the $$$ required to get  *any vintage truck*  into safe,
reliable working condition, paying up front for full restoration would make sense
for me.

Thank for "browsing the specs" on this Jeep.  What do you mean by "properly loaded
that truck should be able to get you just about anywhere you want to go".  Please
define "properly loaded"---do you include  *any*  towing ability at all?  If so,
what might be possible...?  These days I am leaning less toward purchase of TT &
more toward purchase of rural acreage.  But might like someday like to tow a small
TT.  

Thanks, B
:) Charlotte