Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it can even load the stove on a trailer!

Wow, makes you appreciate the "keep moving travel light" philosophy

tx2sturgis said:
Save the back-breaking labor for the day the backhoe arrives.  Or...maybe you need the workout?   ;)

Love the workout!  Today the sun's out, meadows lush with tender grass, orchard coloring up nicely---
all is right with my world.  Might even let my hens out to keep me company while I jack posts.  I've
got a new jack & after much rain it's a snap to pull them.  

:) Charlotte

highdesertranger said:
do you have the short water pump or the long water pump?  do you want factory gauges or after market?  highdesertranger

not sure on the pump,stock gauges,every time i have looked they have been crazy expensive and dont really want to add aftermarket
i know i need 2 alt and 2 oil

Charlotte\ said:
Hey Gary, haven't 'seen' you in a while.  Now 'Chevy square body 73-87' will be the mantra
I repeat each time I search CL.  It is burned into my grey matter.  Of course, I will always
hold out for a pretty copper colored Jeep...unrequited love, perhaps.  Sigh.

So, Stranger is a Mike.  Not sure I appreciate your revealing that fact.  I've always thought
of him as Stranger & still prefer it.

:p Charlotte

off doing my own thing,nothing wrong with an old jeep,i like them,if dodge era,the 318 and 360 are perfectly fine engines

oh yea

High Desert Ranger

John61CT said:
Maybe it can even load the stove on a trailer!
Wow,  makes you appreciate the "keep moving travel light" philosophy

Moving is one thing, travel another!  When traveling I am a minimalist.

Here's a cool CL find.  Just for FUN!  Some truly fascinating features on this one,
for anyone looking for a unique HD combo truck/RV.

Fog's burned off & no excuse now---time for me to get to work jacking out more
T-posts.  (Some of you need to get out of your chairs, get off the computer, & get
some exercise...)

https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1964-f350-ford-custom-4x4-rv/6393070532.html

that thing is super cool. however I have my doubts. seller says it's an automatic, but in the picks you can clearly see it's a stick. air shocks = big no no. dash has been butchered to install a DIN stereo, I hate that. the vacuum advance is plugged, wonder why? I also wonder why the front locking hubs were replaced? probably 4 wheel drum non power brakes, scary. it does have power steering you can see the Saginaw(GM) pump in the engine pick. highdesertranger

Looking at lots of K20 trucks and suburbans but tough to find one without a 6" lift!

highdesertranger said:
that thing is super cool.  however I have my doubts.  seller says it's an automatic,  but in the picks you can clearly see it's a stick.  air shocks = big no no.  dash has been butchered to install a DIN stereo,  I hate that.  the vacuum advance is plugged,  wonder why?  I also wonder why the front locking hubs were replaced?   probably 4 wheel drum non power brakes,  scary.  it does have power steering you can see the Saginaw(GM) pump in the engine pick.   highdesertranger

Stranger, no flies on you!  I continue to marvel at your eagle eyes on a CL ad---
not to mention your ability to "see" what is what.  Amazing...but I am in no danger
of falling for this rig.  Just found it interesting. 

Thanks for the 'pick apart'.  I always learn something new from you.
;) Charlotte

bullfrog said:
Looking at lots of K20 trucks and suburbans but tough to find one without a 6" lift!

Bullfrog, are "lifts" only done on 2wd?  I don't understand "lifts" but I get the idea
that they are never a good thing.  Is that correct? 

And, btw, are YOU also in the market for a truck/suburban or just keeping an eye out
for me?  I thought I read you're trying to put together a TT in time for RTR. 
How's all that going?

:) Charlotte

lift kits raise a vehicle from factory heights. in general I would try to stay away from any lift. any lift over 4 inches I would defiantly stay away from. most of those +4 lifts are owned by kids who thrash their trucks. also beware of body lifts over 1 inch. there are right ways to lift and wrong ways to lift. all suspension lifts over 6 inches and body lifts over 2 inches are wrong no matter who tells you what. the safest bet is to find one not lifted. if anybody wants to lift a vehicle I can walk you though it. I have installed thousands of lift kits. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"...the safest bet is to find one not lifted.  if anybody wants to lift a vehicle I can walk you though it.  I have installed thousands of lift kits."

OK thanks, will do.  No lifts.  But, aside from the obvious---higher ground clearance, what is the purpose
of lifting a vehicle?  If any...

:huh: Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
OK thanks, will do.  No lifts.  But, aside from the obvious---higher ground clearance, what is the purpose
of lifting a vehicle?  If any...

:huh: Charlotte

Why, because they look cool of course. :cool: :D

Attachments

• s10withcap.jpg
    s10withcap.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
" But, aside from the obvious---higher ground clearance, what is the purpose"

testosterone of course. highdesertranger

Then, once you flame it, [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]testosterone, goes through the roof.  :) :) I really miss my old S-10.[/font]

Attachments

• s10withflames.jpg
    s10withflames.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
I'm down to about 4 vehicles with 2 I need to work on from a dozen or so at one time so yes a nice stock square body Chevy might be in my future if the price is right. All this talk has convinced me I should listen to my own advice! I should be picking up the base for my trailer on thr 19th or 20th since I'm more a slow poke Lopez than a Speedy Gonzalas I will probably end up going to the RTR with what I have, but you never know! People that don't know how to drive with big tires make big ruts which cause people who do know how to drive with little tires to bottom out and get stuck. Lifts allow clearance for bigger diameter tires which usually wear or break a lot of drive train/suspension parts.

bullfrog said:
....so yes a nice stock square body Chevy might be in my future if the price is right.  

I had one in my past!

1975 K5 Blazer, Full Time 4WD. Chevy 350 engine. Even then I prefered vehicles with no wheel covers...(hub caps, we called them). And I was also doing the radio thing even back then....several antennas are visible. 

I owned it from 1980 to 1982...shoulda kept it...it was a lotta fun but got lousy mpg...about 9 mpg in town...11 on the highway. 

But, gasoline was only 79c a gallon!

And yes, I did the camper thing....the removable back seat was stored at my parents garage, a small mattress laid on the cargo floor, and me and the girlfriend had a nice cozy spot for boondocking, although we never heard it called that back then....we were doing what was called, 'parking'...and a few other terms...

;)

K5Blazer-75.jpg

Attachments

• K5Blazer-75.jpg
    K5Blazer-75.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
In the late 1960s, before I bought my first VW camper, I bought a near-mint condition
1953 Packard Clipper with only 2300 original miles.  It was used by the original owner
only for 'Sunday Drives' & kept garaged. 

The owner, an old widower, sold it to me for$200---because he wanted it to go to a
'good home'  (read: good looking blonde, LOL).

It got 8 mpg in town, had a back seat roomy enough to 'stretch out' on, arm rests that
pulled down with little ashtrays that lit up, & an outrageous chrome hood ornament.  In
the end, I traded it for my first VW Westfalia.  Still miss it.  I found a pic online
that looks exactly like it.  

Once I figure out how to upload pics, I'll post it.
  :rolleyes:  Charlotte