Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piece Of Sh*t. or Point Of Sale. but I think you know what I meant. BTW Cha Cha it's super easy to convert a Chevy from an automatic to a stick and vice versa. highdesertranger

You misunderstood...

'Dark Side we have Cookies'...you know....tempting, but not so fast, mister...

Anyway, just a grab from CL (searched K-20 chevy) to let you know what's out here in 'flyover' country....not much.

highdesertranger said:
"Piece Of Sh*t.  or Point Of Sale.  but I think you know what I meant.  BTW Cha Cha  it's super easy to convert a Chevy from an automatic to a stick and vice versa."

Really did not know what POS meant.  Thought it might be Previous Owner Sucked.  No kidding.
Hope not to be tempted to convert auto to manual.  I hope when $$$ available to find JUST what
I want & drive off into the sunset, LOL.

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
"Anyway, just a grab from CL (searched K-20 chevy) to let you know what's out here in 'flyover' country....not much."

No tienes preocupes, hombre.  Supongo que es nada mas de un chiste obscuro y no es gran cosa...
Bueno, hagame el favor a decirme que signafica la expression 'fly over' country?  Texas? o la internet?

;)

Fly-over country usually means the vast area of land here in the open plains, midwest, high plains, areas and regions, where people from the denser western or eastern population centers do NOT typically go for vacations, tourism, or fun, nor do they typically move here on purpose.  They just...fly over.

Generally speaking, the area of the USA, between I-35/I-35W and I-25 would be counted as 'fly-over' country.

The view from NYC (aka Manhattan)

1976_03_29_Steinberg_9thAve.0.jpg

tx2sturgis said:
"I think you would look good in this...." :D

That's cute!  But passenger seats no good for cloven hoofs.
(No, not referring to you, Texas.)
:p Cha Cha

Are Chevy cranks pre-drilled fora pilot bearing? would like to swap my THD400 tranny for a standard 4/5 spd. ..Willy.

all of the older ones were. sometime during the 90's when they went with a one piece rear main some were not. what trans are you looking at? if you are looking at a NV 4500 you need the bell housing. the bolt pattern where the trans bolts to the bell housing is different then the older trucks. highdesertranger

Charlotte\ said:
OK, but here's the thing:  What I am after is a truck for towing/hauling that is old enough to have absolutely
no brains/electronic systems.  In short, a truck that might still run after a CME/EMP. 

I never understood the desire to have drivability after an EMP
How will you put gas is said vehicle? there will be non.
Regardless, I'll run with your concept and lets build our small block.
1. block and heads: I'll choose pre 72 350, the nickel content have dropped dramatically after that.
2. crank: an aftermarket forged 383 crank
3. rods: 400 forged rods (or H beam) non of that powdered metal crap.
4. Pistons: hypereutectic, moly rings.
5. intake: 4bbl such as an Edelbrock performer or the like. 
6. Exhaust: shorty headers, dual 2.25 pipes, ballance tube
7. Ignition: MSD HEI
8. Fuel: its a personal choice, If I wanted to go carbureted I would choose a 600 Edelbrock performer...in reality its no more then a Carter AFB (here is an interesting piece of trivia...What does AFB stand for? Aluminium four barrel)
However, and personally (today) I will go with an aftermarket injection such as the MSD atomic EFI 
9. Trans: as good as the autos are there is no replacement for a good manual, I'll pick a NV4500. (one that had the 5th gear nut worked out)
10: cooling: manual fan, a fully welded aluminium radiator.

Did I miss anything?

"Did I miss anything?"

!No se puede!

Bullfrogs must be the original 'gumshoes'.
Makes for a very sticky situation.
But does the shoe fit?  Not likely, with
two left feet.

Rrrrrrrebett
:p

Been down with the flu but managed to get a box/camper/topper started for the Jeep J10. 1987 Surburban should be done end of Feb. Seems some posts have disappeared, but like most old men don't really care. Really enjoyed driving my old jeep 900 miles down to Tucson but flu kept me from RTR.