Vintage SM Block vs Big Block

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
here's some I would consider.  none are perfect but I could make any of these into reliable 4x4's,

Stranger, what a good guy you are!  Thanks. :)

This evening, after I've made a trip into town
for more packing boxes, I'll dig in & have a good
look at your CL finds.  

Yesterday, when my septic guy/pumper truck arrived,
I got the dreaded news that my leach field is choked
with redwood roots & will require a complete re-do.
Little comfort when he told me it was a miracle the
system has lasted this long.  Now, he told me, you
better sit down:  Cost for new septic system:  $40K.
Most of which due to permit fees, multiple agency
inspections, on & on.  

This is California. :s

So, despite being in shock, & unable/unwilling to pay
for this, my realtor advises me to list/sell "as is".
This is a big set back, but I am forging ahead & trying
to stay on target.

:heart: Charlotte

I'd get a second opinion on it....if the fox is the one guarding the henhouse, as they say, it's time to be suspicious.

Or, you could just put in a composting toilet!   :D

Years ago I dated a little 'rich girl'....I remember them spending $17 thousand dollars on the repairs to a sprinkler system in the front yard....

First world problems. 

:p

There are very few jurisdictions that allow a composting system (or any "alternative") to count instead of septic.

That's a key justification for maintaining restrictive zoning, preventing the riff-raff from undermining property values.

Same with not allowing living in RVs, in many places not even allowed to be parked on your property empty, or at least have to be invisible from the road.

Different spin on "war on poverty". . .

HDR not perfect but reliable leaves a whole lot of room for people's expectations to turn into dissatisfaction. Your time and hard work are yours to use and do but be careful to make sure everyone is clear what you are offering. This truck is going to be someone's primary transportation possibly out of the country and probably too far away from you to fix if something goes wrong and they are not able to themselves so somebody will have to pay. As I stated earlier I spent $28,000 in parts and labor trying to restore a 1988 Wagoneer and it still wasn't perfect but was reliable. I almost bought a 2 wheel drive 1960's one ton pickup with new mechanicals that had about 16,000 miles on them, restored cab and add on AC for $9,000. Are you saying you can take one of these trucks and make it go 50,000 or 100,000 miles with no major mechanical breakdowns for less than $10,000? Are you saying the doors will open, close and lock from inside and out? Are you saying the heater/AC/defroster will work good enough to keep the windows clear and the cab warm? No body/mechanical parts are so rusty or worn out they stop working in a year or fall off going down the road? If so sign me up but I think you are selling yourself short by 5 or 10 grand. If your serious I'll see you at the RTR and maybe we will go buy a truck.

tx2sturgis said:
I'd get a second opinion..if the fox is the one guarding the henhouse...or you could just put in a composting toilet! 
Years ago I dated a little 'rich girl'..."

Second, even third opinion, good idea. My septic guy is a good friend &
does not install septic systems.  His ballpark figure probably very close. :huh:

I began life as a little "rich girl" but I rebelled & chose the deliberate
life of a fallen debutante!

After years of CA drought, already have a C-Head compost toilet.  Not
legal here, but in common use.  (My now defunct espresso brown Kohler
still in place as a decoy in case of surprise visit from building Dept.)

:angel: Charlotte

Charlotte when anyone tries to tell me to buy property because I'll profit (I did once in the past) I tell them it just is not worth it to me now that I know the freedom of not having any. Yes I miss not having a place to work on my cars and projects that I can make a mess, and yes I have to pay someone that does to do it, but I'm old and don't have to put up with all that stuff and hot or cold weather as well. Life is good for now. I really need to go fishing, bye!

John61CT said:
There are very few jurisdictions that allow a composting system (or any "alternative") to count instead of septic.

I wasn't suggesting she fill in the septic, and get local inspectors in on the decisions...but maybe just leave it as is, un-repaired, and use an alternate solution for the time being. 

Letting the future buyers deal with it.

In most jurisdictions, the homeowner is allowed to do the work, as long as they get the proper inspections, so maybe the buyers can do it for say, $5k or $10k, and be legal and happy.

OK, my impression she's outta there and looking to sell ASAP.

Depending on the market, if the issue causes a big enough drop in the price the property will fetch, may be worth doing beforehand as cheaply as possible.

Not for us to say of course, but I think the intersection of DIY septic folks and those willing to pay at the higher end of asking price will be pretty slim.

John61CT said:
Not for us to say of course,  but I think the intersection of DIY septic folks and those willing to pay at the higher end of asking price will be pretty slim.

Yeah who's to say. If it's a rural property then the new owners might be quite willing and able. Especially if they can save thousands of dollars. The seller discounts the price to allow for repairs. And DIY on this sort of job does not mean the owner even has to touch a shovel. 

He or she can hire a neighbor or buddy with a backhoe or trencher, or rent one, the plumbing guy or septic tank vendor delivers the new parts, the owner's teenage son or Handyman Uncle Bill can hook things up, or whatever. 

It's all doable unless the local codes say otherwise.

I said not perfect because they all need work that I can see. yes if I could pick out a truck I could make it a reliable daily driver. however you must realize I have many parts already in stock. just to give you an idea I have three 5 gallon buckets full of hardware for Chevy square body trucks. if someone needs a bolt, screw, nut I have it. at the moment I have nine complete doors, 2 front clips, a spare frame for my truck, 3 transmission and transfer cases that are mated, and another 2wd transmission, I recently had five 14 bolt rear axles but they all sold, I have 5 gauge clusters complete, I have many other parts like bumpers, window glass, lumber racks, bed tool boxes, a bed with the tail gate and the list goes on and on. so yes I can do it. highdesertranger

the stranger has spoken :D

chevy small block all the way,they are like legos,all the bolt ons on my 77 400cid will fit on my 85 305 cid from the 50's to fuel injection
parts are cheap,just ordered a complete cam set for $300
chevy square body truck 73-87 was mass produced and parts are everywhere and cheap

hey Mike,wouldnt happen to have a driver side upper alternator mount would you?
and/or a good source for gauges,alt,oil pressure etc.

do you have the short water pump or the long water pump? do you want factory gauges or after market? highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
"HDR not perfect but reliable leaves a whole lot of room for people's expectations to turn into dissatisfaction.  Your time and hard work are yours to use and do but be careful to make sure everyone is clear what you are offering.  This truck is going to be someone's primary transportation possibly out of the country and probably too far away from you to fix if something goes wrong and they are not able to themselves so somebody will have to pay." 

Bullfrog, thanks for this well thought out dissection of the challenge of even the  *possibility* of HDR
pulling together a truck for me.  Given the reality of my situation tho, this scenario is not likely to work
for me.  Once my place sells I will be required to vacate the property bt a legally agreed date.

Meantime, especially since learning of my septic challenge, I am not in a position to spend any $$$
until escrow closes.  It's one step/day at a time from here on.   I cannot afford any missteps now...

:rolleyes: Charlotte

highdesertranger said:
"I said not perfect because they all need work that I can see.  yes if I could pick out a truck I could make it a reliable daily driver.  however you must realize I have many parts already in stock."

Stranger, I never doubted you for a moment! :) 

I feel confident that, whatever truck I find, wherever I find it, if I follow the advice
to choose a Chevy with a 350 engine, you can be counted on to supply parts at the
very least.

The CL trucks you listed were all automatics.  I insist on manual transmission.  But
otherwise I could see the possibilities in a couple of those.  Who knows but I might
open up to the idea of a Chevy Suburban!  Might serve just as well as a pickup---
but NO diesel for me.

Have you got a parts availability thread ongoing in the forums' lower 40?  You should!

Thanks again,
:rolleyes: Charlotte

tx2sturgis said:
"...If it's a rural property then the new owners might be quite willing and able...He or she can hire a neighbor or buddy with a backhoe or trencher, or rent one, the plumbing guy or septic tank vendor delivers the new parts, the owner's teenage son or Handyman Uncle Bill can hook things up, or whatever."

It's all doable unless the local codes say otherwise.

Brian, thanks for this suggested possible scenario.
This might be just the solution I seek.  I've learned that a neighbor with heavy equipment
has a discreet service for friends/neighbors---a sort of midnight septic, if you will.  He shows
up with backhoe once the pipe is on site & takes care of business.  Same with replacement
tank, etc.

I will discuss this my realtor & I will get an estimate for materials & "labor" before my place
lists.  I don't want to deal with this myself---too much other stuff to do...

Thanks for your support!  :) 
Charlotte

Gary68 said:
the stranger has spoken :D

chevy small block all the way,they are like legos...parts are cheap...chevy square body truck 73-87
was mass produced and parts are everywhere and cheap
(...hey Mike,wouldnt happen to have ...)

Hey Gary, haven't 'seen' you in a while.  Now 'Chevy square body 73-87' will be the mantra
I repeat each time I search CL.  It is burned into my grey matter.  Of course, I will always
hold out for a pretty copper colored Jeep...unrequited love, perhaps.  Sigh.

So, Stranger is a Mike.  Not sure I appreciate your revealing that fact.  I've always thought
of him as Stranger & still prefer it.

:p Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
Brian, thanks for this suggested possible scenario.
This might be just the solution I seek.  I've learned that a neighbor with heavy equipment
has a discreet service for friends/neighbors---a sort of midnight septic, if you will.  He shows
up with backhoe once the pipe is on site & takes care of business.  Same with replacement
tank, etc.

Midnight Septic...thats a good name for dirty deeds done dirt cheap!  :p

I wanted you to see this in action but since we cant PM you, I have to place it here.

Years ago, I helped a friend in northern NM install a french drain and septic. We rented a backhoe and they delivered it, and we got to work. 

Here you see my friend Gary using the backhoe to scoop up dirt and some of the large boulders. They don't call this the Rocky Mountains for nothing!

tx2sturgis said:
"Midnight Septic...thats a good name for dirty deeds done dirt cheap!  :p
Years ago, I helped a friend in northern NM install a french drain and septic. We rented a backhoe and they delivered it, and we got to work."

Texas, cool video!  Later when bandwidth recovers I'll have a look
at the other one.

No boulders here, & only relatively shallow trenches required in
the rock-free clay, backhoe job should be quick.  The leach field
is below what used to be my big goat yard so, once I finish jacking
remaining 80 T-posts from ground, access will be easy.

Next challenge I'm chewing on is how to load my depression-era
wood/gas cookstove into U Haul truck.  Presume it should be loaded
first, against back wall, & secured with sturdy straps.  I will
NOT leave my beloved stove behind.  

Goddess only knows who I will find to get it out of kitchen, across
big deck & down eleven steps!  It's been so long I can't remember  
*how*  we got it in here in the first place.  I do recall that we
removed the top half & transported it here in the back of a Willys
jeep.  Since that day it's been cookin' along.  I've even learned
enough of it's quirky ways to produce bread, angle food cake, &
endless pies.  It's a Kalamazoo Direct to You!

Given the prospect of moving the stove, the septic job begins to
look like a walk in the park.

:huh: Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
...once I finish jacking the remaining 80 T-posts from ground, access will be easy.

Most backhoes have chain hooks on the main front bucket, so it's super easy to pull up t-posts that way. 

Save the back-breaking labor for the day the backhoe arrives. 

Or...maybe you need the workout?   ;)