Video: 7 Ways Mechanics Rip Off Customers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Some good information on things to watch out for and your rights.

I'm not a mechanic and don't like mechanic work. But have done enough of my own work over the years to have a fairly good idea of what's going on and saved myself a lot of money due to attempted ripoffs. That's a lot easier on less computerized vehicles. The new ones? I have not much of a clue.

This guy has some good info.

If you have a 1996 or newer vehicle, you should get an OBD2 scanner. Even if you don't work on your own car, it's worth having so that you know why your check engine light came on before you take it to a mechanic.

On modern cars, your check engine light can come on for something as simple as not having your gas cap on tight enough.

You can get a bluetooth OBD2 scanner that works with your smart phone for about 10 bucks on Amazon.

Alternatively, Autozone and Oreilly are supposed to scan your car for free and let you know what the error code means.

True, for things OBD2 monitors.

But there are a number of other things that can go bad. If you're not mechanically inclined, or don't have some general knowledge of how things work, you're at the mercy of mechanics. With luck and recommendations you might find one that's, skilled, affordable and honest.

also you have to know what the codes mean and how to diagnose how to fix an error code. doing the shotgun approach and willy nilly replacing parts can get very expensive. highdesertranger

At least some vehicles can give you the tripped codes without an OBD reader. I think it was a trick with turning the key a certain way and it would flash the numbers for you on my old '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now I have a bluetooth code reader and the free software that shows everything that it can monitor, it's slick.

And yes, just knowing the code number doesn't always mean you now know what to fix or replace but at least it's hopefully a good clue where to start looking.

exactly, it's a clue. now it's the repairer's job to find the actual problem. highdesertranger