Veterans Living a Nomadic Lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic cat

Reaction score
There are group of homeless Vets in my area whom I've tried to help their coordinator to assist.  They sit out all year around with an information table by the grocery stores. 

I mentioned this site to the coordinator and sites for "Tiny Home's" and "Earth Ship Homes" too.   I'd like to see them get some land in a hollow where it's sheltered to be able to build a small community of straw bale houses where they could live through the winter, and get them started into living in Van's or RV's to be able to take off
by spring and get to better parts of the country where they could find work.

Their coordinator has a non profit set up for them and they are raising funds to get them off the streets and into
shelters during the cold months.   At this point it's about surviving, but the aim is to get them to where they can
begin to thrive and prosper.

Presently they are trying to get each of them with an old car that they can deliver Pizza with and get on their feet financially.  The goal is to find employers who will hire them in more prosperous parts of the country.

I'm a vet and one thing I'm grateful for is having health care through the VA. Heath care is a huge expense for most people and mine just so happens to be free.

I know the VA is a hot button issue for some. I've been pleased with all the care I've gotten through them. I also take care of my diet and health through keeping active in hopes that I don't really need to go to the doctor in the first place.

eDJ_ said:
There are group of homeless Vets in my area whom I've tried to help their coordinator to assist.  They sit out all year around with an information table by the grocery stores. 

I mentioned this site to the coordinator and sites for "Tiny Home's" and "Earth Ship Homes" too.   I'd like to see them get some land in a hollow where it's sheltered to be able to build a small community of straw bale houses where they could live through the winter, and get them started into living in Van's or RV's to be able to take off
by spring and get to better parts of the country where they could find work.

Their coordinator has a non profit set up for them and they are raising funds to get them off the streets and into
shelters during the cold months.   At this point it's about surviving, but the  and aim is to get them to where they can
begin to thrive and prosper.

Presently they are trying to get each of them with an old car that they can deliver Pizza with and get on their feet financially.  The goal is to find employers who will hire them in more prosperous parts of the country.

There are two programs that the Department of Veterans Affair offer to veterans:   One is the VASH Program: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program and the Domiciliary Care Program is the Department of Veterans Affairs that can assist these homeless veterans gain some of their independence.  The VA offer mental as well substance dependency treatment in conjunction with this program.  Now for the program to work the veteran itself have to be able cooperate with his/her recovery program.  Hope this help some. :D

DimondColorCloud said:
I'm a vet and one thing I'm grateful for is having health care through the VA. Heath care is a huge expense for most people and mine just so happens to be free.

I know the VA is a hot button issue for some. I've been pleased with all the care I've gotten through them. I also take care of my diet and health through keeping active in hopes that I don't really need to go to the doctor in the first place.

The VA does offer great comprehensive care in comparison with most insurance available.  They have well over 1,700 site nationwide and treat about 8.76 million veterans each year.   With program that large some issues may arise, but in general I believe is great program and very grateful for that.

Also if you're traveling outside the U.S. (example: Canada to go to Alaska) The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Office is responsible for determining eligibility for reimbursed medical treatment while traveling or residing abroad, except in the Philippines. Reimbursed medical care for U.S. Veterans residing or traveling in Canada and other foreign countries is limited to treatment for VA rated service-connected disabilities only. Generally, as long as the service is medically necessary for the treatment of a VA rated service-connected condition, it will be covered. In addition, the services must be accepted by VA and/or the U.S. medical community, such as the American Medical Association and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. An authorization to receive reimbursed medical treatment must be obtained from the FMP Office unless an emergency situation exists.

I'm very happy with my VA healthcare.I wish everyone in the US could get the same care.