Verizon or At nT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babz

Reaction score
Ok, Watched Bob in a video and can't remember which cell phone company is better for nationwide coverage.  Anyone?

Oh, and I have a Samsung phone --- any feedback about Android -- Motorola? Samsung -- which models to avoid?

Verizon is tops but AT&T is catching up quickly.

I have a motorola Razr that I like but I think the next phone will be a samsung, just not a 7 as those were notorious for catching on fire. Probably a 9 but haven't seen a 10 yet. I generally buy one version back as they are a lot cheaper that way.

Phones are usually locked to a carrier unless you get one that is unlocked. Even unlocked I don't think these phones will work on the other carrier because of the frequency they use.

Depends on where you live and travel. All the carriers have coverage maps and you can enter an address or zip code and the map will zoom in. At the house I get Verizon on one side and ATT on the other.

As mentioned your phone may have been manufactured to only work on certain carriers so you may need a different phone if you want a different carrier. In addition Prepaid service, coverage, from the main 4 carriers and service from Trac, Staight Talk, Total Wireless, Red Pocket is less than the more expensive Post Paid plans from the big 4. Confusing? Yes!

Read more threads in this forum. Watch some of the YouTube videos. Over time you will learn the language.
Figure where you will travel and then ask more questions before you buy a new phone or go with a different carrier. You may find you go with a low cost, maybe limited plan for your current phone and then get a HotSpot with a larger data plan from a different carrier.
And while looking at those coverage maps realize there are large parts of the country with no cellular coverage, some of them great places to camp. Sigh

I’m currently in the Guadalupe Mountains and can only get tMobile. It’s catching up also...

B and C said:
Verizon is tops but AT&T is catching up quickly.

I have a motorola Razr that I like but I think the next phone will be a samsung, just not a 7 as those were notorious for catching on fire.  Probably a 9 but haven't seen a 10 yet.  I generally buy one version back as they are a lot cheaper that way.

Phones are usually locked to a carrier unless you get one that is unlocked.  Even unlocked I don't think these phones will work on the other carrier because of the frequency they use.

Phone with a built in fire starter might be handy  :rolleyes:

I have had CREDO for almost 10 years, and I have enjoyed wide coverage almost anywhere in the country. I have travelled for most of that time. The problem is that I think CREDO is more expensive.

I’m in Indian Break Rock BLM area near the old Fort Bowie in South Eastern Arizona and have five bars tMobile - no roaming....   ;-)

Two of us have been travelling southern AZ for the last couple of weeks, one with Verizon, the other with AT&T.

Side by side comparison - for THIS area, Verizon wins hands down.

The number of nights that there has been no AT&T service whatsoever - about 80% of the time. The number of nights where I've had no Verizon service - 1 - and I knew in advance that there was no service. - 10 miles in to the Coronado NF northwest of Nogales AZ in a canyon.

AT&T service comes back the minute you hit a populated (even lightly) area but when I'm sitting in the middle of Buenos Aires NWR with 3 bars unboosted of Verizon and there is no AT&T service at all it makes a difference, a big difference!

Yep, get a booster AND a up to date phone with the current bands for whichever company you are using. Use any ONE carrier, even the great Verizon and you will be left wanting at some point and time. There might be a Verizon signal but it is often overloaded. A booster does not help you with a congested tower, it just gives you a better connection to it.

In any instance it will always be your millage will vary. My AT&T experience is the opposite in that it is rare that I do not have a signal and I have not seen the congestion that plagues the other carriers.

Latest posts