Which cell carier would be better

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinto

Reaction score
Hi

I'm planning a month long trip mainly boondocking in Sedona area but also other places e.g. national parks south Utah & some urban locations. I'm not sure which cell carrier to choose: normally I would say Verizon since they have the best backcountry coverage, but my specific case is that I live out of country and have a foriegn phone number. It would be best for me to purchase a prepaid eSIM so I can have both numbers available. Alas, Verizon don't sell prepaid eSim... So either I get an AT&T prepaid eSIM, with pretty good coverage or Verizon SIM with better coverage but lose the dual SIM benefit.
So long story short, how much difference would it make to have Verizon compared to AT&T. I think 4G will be good enough.

Thanks

Many locations in the southwest will not have cell phone service. If you require communication with the outside world satellite is your best bet. Using something like RV Starlink for internet/ phone service may be your only choice, even then you may have to get out of the canyons for clear sky.

Hi

I'm planning a month long trip mainly boondocking in Sedona area but also other places e.g. national parks south Utah & some urban locations. I'm not sure which cell carrier to choose: normally I would say Verizon since they have the best backcountry coverage, but my specific case is that I live out of country and have a foriegn phone number. It would be best for me to purchase a prepaid eSIM so I can have both numbers available. Alas, Verizon don't sell prepaid eSim... So either I get an AT&T prepaid eSIM, with pretty good coverage or Verizon SIM with better coverage but lose the dual SIM benefit.
So long story short, how much difference would it make to have Verizon compared to AT&T. I think 4G will be good enough.

Thanks
My understanding is that Visible uses the Verizon network - maybe they offer prepaid eSim?

You will only find 5G signals in cities, it is not out in the remote areas. The cell phone companies have online maps showing the coverage areas.

Websites such as free camping have review sections where campers can post things such as signal strength from the cell service company they are using.

Urban areas and also places such as visitor centers at National parks will have wifi. Truck stops often have wifi as do larger grocery store chains and chain coffee shops and restaurants. RV parks will also typically have wifi so you cold connect that way instead of using cell tower signals.

Last edited: