Vehicle Registrations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PedalFlyer

Reaction score
I couldn't find this anywhere else, so I figured it fit in with "Discussions that don't fit in other area's".  If I've overstepped or am out of step, get over it, and then feel free to let me know where you've moved it to that it will be "properly" a fit.

So here is the dealio:  I'm leaving from a title state, that requires you to register your vehicle with a street address.  You can use a PO BOX for notification, but for taxation and legal B.S. they require a street address.  As I will soon not have one, I'm trying to figure out how to register my two vehicles, and three trailers, as well as I am trying to find a place to store them. 

Now honestly I've never had all three of the trailers registered.  I move the one plate among the three as needed.  But depending on how things end up, I might sell one trailer (8x16 overhead door in the rear, excellent condition, dual axle if anyone is looking) park one and the other will be following me around where ever I go.  More than likely one of the vehicles or both will (in favor of a newer compromise) likely get sold too. 

The situation persists though, what do you do without a street address to register a vehicle.  A number of you welcomed me suggesting find a friend or family member whom will let you use their address.  I have zero family that wants anything to do with me, let alone be supportive of me.  Most of my friends are not in a situation that would lend itself to allowing me to use their addresses longer term. 

Thoughts?  Experiences?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Thank you!

Register your vehicles before you leave, using the address at the time?

A mail service, such as mail and more IS a street adress
Your address would look like this

John Doe
690 Saratoga Rd #662
Burnt Hills, NY 12027

But not all mail services are created equal. Some don't offer mail forwarding services or there are restrictions and limitations

You will have to have a "place" or you can't have more than one vehicle plus a trailer. You will have to establish a residence in that "place". As you have no available friends or family, you must rent a home or pay for a mail forwarding service. Be careful what state you pick to be your "place", as it effects insurance, vehicle and health care, as well as licensing and inspection. Some mail services are better than others. Most states will not except a UPS box number and these stores can be temporary, as well. Three have closed in my home county during the past couple of years.

cyndi said:
A mail service, such as mail and more IS a street adress
Your address would look like this

John Doe
690 Saratoga Rd #662
Burnt Hills, NY 12027

But not all mail services are created equal. Some don't offer mail forwarding services or there are restrictions and limitations

Burnt Hills... I grew around there.  Haven't heard that town in awhile.  haha.  :)

Perhaps find a very small, very cheap piece of land in the middle of nowhere, Plunk down a mail box and use the address for that. I see rows of mailboxes along the highways next to side roads that lead to these types of properties.

Put all your bills on paperless to cut down on any mail.

Been thinking about this sort of thing.  Problem is money of course, but also where to find, it.  I'm in CT now...have some friends that just bought a chunk of land in Kentucky that is undeveloped and vacant, think I'll try to have a discussion with them about it.  :)  Thanks for responding.

A nomad can pick any state for his "residence".  Most therefor pick a state with no state income tax.  You know Kentucky isn't one of them, right?

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming are the seven states with no state income tax.  Florida, South Dakota, and Texas seem to go out of their way to make it easy for nomads to be "residents".

Read a few of the articles on the Escapee's web site.  Very informative.

https://www.escapees.com/support/mail-service/get-started/helpful-articles

Optimistic Paranoid said:
A nomad can pick any state for his "residence".  Most therefor pick a state with no state income tax.  You know Kentucky isn't one of them, right?

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming are the seven states with no state income tax.  Florida, South Dakota, and Texas seem to go out of their way to make it easy for nomads to be "residents".

Read a few of the articles on the Escapee's web site.  Very informative.

https://www.escapees.com/support/mail-service/get-started/helpful-articles

I just watched Bob's video "[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Where to Make your State Residence and How to Do it".  Bob said his mailbox is in NV, I swear he said he registered his van in AZ.  How can you do that?  I thought your driver's license and registration is in the same state?[/font]

haha AZ doesn't care if you live there or not. they will register anything. highdesertranger

My dl is in AZ and both of my vehicles are registered in MA. I do plan on registering my van in AZ when I return.

I live in AZ but changed my residency to South Dakota. SD is very friendly to the full time RV community. You pretty much only need to sign an affidavit saying you plan to move there full time in the next five years. So I got my license there and also have a mail forwarding company (I use Americas Mailbox). The benefit is that they give you a legal address and forward my mail anywhere I want.

The other benefits were that when I bought my van the tax in SD is half what AZ is. The registration was way cheaper and there are no emissions tests so I don't have to go back every year to get my van tested. I have a job that is all travel so the other perk is that once I switched states my employer stopped taking out AZ income taxes and SD doesn't have any state income taxes. Last benefit I can think of is that my insurance rates dropped dramatically because SD has some of the lowest insurance rates in the country. So.. all in all. Changing my residence has saved me a ton of money.

I realize that this won't work for everyone. Say if I owned property in AZ. They could say that I am still a resident and want me to pay income taxes. But I rent a room while I'm here from a friend and working on the van. Once I full time it I can be anywhere I want but SD will always be my mail address and residence. I still work so having a state that doesn't have state income tax was a huge plus. For others that won't matter so much. If I lived in the South East I would probably have gone with Florida as my residence.

bmanz said:
I just watched Bob's video "[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Where to Make your State Residence and How to Do it".  Bob said his mailbox is in NV, I swear he said he registered his van in AZ.  How can you do that?  I thought your driver's license and registration is in the same state?[/font]

There are people in this country whose main home is in the northeast and who own a winter home in Florida.  Many of them will have a car at each location. So they have a PA drivers license and one of their cars has Florida plates.  I have an uncle who does that.

That said, it is often BEST if all your paperwork matches, ESPECIALLY if you were from an aggressive, high tax state like CA, which may try to use any excuse to claim you haven't REALLY moved and you still owe them taxes.

I suggest you download and read "How To Become A Real Texan" available free from the ESCAPEES site.  They specifically warn against the possible dangers - particularly the claim you are engaging in tax evasion - that can arise if everything doesn't match. 

https://www.escapees.com/images/pdfs/texan.pdf

Thank you for the responses, I'll check out the Texas link you provided.  Health care is in the state you have your residence, is that correct?

Years ago I registered in SD, very low taxes on registration of my/trailer, insurance.
Now in Texas , don't like to have to get RV inspection for tags. Just another tax impositions.

Stymie said:
Years ago I registered in SD, very low taxes on registration of my/trailer, insurance.
Now in Texas , don't like to have to get RV inspection for tags. Just another tax impositions.
Thanks, what do you do for healthcare?  SD or TX?

FL also does not have personal property tax.
I recall living in MO for 10 years and having to pay tax for even my lawn push mower motor!

highdesertranger said:
haha AZ doesn't care if you live there or not.  they will register anything.  highdesertranger

Here's the AZ DMV regs.  Nowhere do I see proving where you live... http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/car-registration.php

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New to Arizona?
State law requires that you register your vehicle with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) immediately after establishing residency.
Residency in AZ is more than just having an Arizona address. The state considers you a resident if any one of the following situations applies to you:
[/font]

• You obtain an Arizona driver's license.
  • Your kids attend school here without paying an out-of-state tuition rate.
  • You're employed in Arizona (seasonal agricultural workers exempt).
  • You remain in the state for 7 months or more in one calendar year.
  • You have an Arizona business that houses and operates vehicles here.
  • You own an AZ business that transports people or goods in the state.
  • You're registered to vote in AZ.

Required Documents
To register, you must visit any [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AZ MVD office[/font] in person. But before visiting you'll need:

• Proof of car insurance that meets, at the very minimum, Arizona's required coverage amounts:
    • $15,000 per person.
    • $30,000 per accident for bodily injury.
    • $10,000 per accident for property damage.
  • An emissions compliance form. Read more about emissions testing on our Smog & Emission Checks page.
[*]
To ease the process, Arizona allows you to register and title your vehicle at the same time. To learn more about obtaining a title, check out our [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Title Transfers[/font] page.
Visiting Your MVD Office
When you're ready to apply, visit your local Arizona MVD office with:

• A completed Title and Registration Application (Form 96-0236).
  • Proof of passing an emissions test, if you reside in Phoenix or Tucson.
    • The results of your test will be automatically sent to the MVD.
  • Proof of a Level I inspection, if applicable.
    • This only applies if you do not have your car's registration certificate and/or title. A Level I inspection merely verifies your vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • MVD offices provide this service free of charge.
  • Your car's out-of-state title, or, if it's held by a lienholder, your car's current registration certificate.
  • Your out-of-state license plates.
  • Proof of Arizona car insurance.
  • Photo identification (driver's license, ID card, etc.). The MVD provides a list of acceptable documents.
  • Payment for Arizona registration fees (see “AZ Vehicle Registration Fees" below).
[*]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Arizona Vehicle License Tax[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The state also charges a vehicle license tax (VLT) at every registration and renewal. This tax is assessed for each $100 of your vehicle's value. Note that the value of your vehicle is calculated as 60% of the original manufacturer's retail price, and that total will be lowered by 16.25% at every [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]registration renewal[/font].[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For each $100 of the vehicle's value, you will be assessed:[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New vehicles: $2.80.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Used vehicles: $2.89.[/font]
[*]
If that's accurate (not providing proof of actual residency, then you could do what Bob Wells did in Nv, find a home for sale...
It also means you'll need a mailing address so that the DL doesn't go to the "other" address...

Arizona is Snowbird country. If the state is too stupid to adapt to that financial windfall every year, they've got concrete between their ears.