Vehicle Registrations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going FL. SD is second. FL mainly because of the winter weather and jobs are plentiful in winter and seasonal employers are happy to help with stealth campers if you work for them

I don't know.  I was in a few areas of Florida last year:  The Keys, Orlando, and central... and jobs were sparse.  But I was looking on Indeed and stuff like that.  It was like sending out a hundred job applications to maybe hear back from one, and then there'd be a two month onboarding process with an FBI check or some nonsense like that.  Some were just complete scams.  And this was for low wage jobs.  Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place or in the right area, but I was meeting a lot of poor and desperate people.  

Also Florida townships strike me as corrupt and uptight, not at all fond of poor people.  The police are heavy handed and love to arrest everyone for everything.  The police reports in the paper show a steady stream "possession of marijuana" arrests.  I don't touch that stuff, but still.. come on.  From what I experienced, I wouldn't feel safe boondocking in any of those areas.  But, again, I was only in a few places so maybe I didn't see the whole picture.  I gave up and just went back overseas to work again.

Yeah I keep reading about South Dakota, and it sounds great.  My only issue is that I like desert climes and I definitely don't want to be dealing with ice and snow when I'm residing in a vehicle.  Still... the freedom of that state is extremely appealing so I'm not taking it completely off the table either because that sounds like a place I could fly into and have a fully legal vehicle and drivers license squared away inside of a week.

Just so. You only have to be 5here as long as it takes for the paperwork, then off to the desert you go.