Vehicle, registration, plates - but insurance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because "full time living" is a different category. The risk profile is different. I think the reason a lot of auto insurance companies shy away from covering nomads is because they don't have a good understanding of the risk they are taking on. We are still a tiny segment of insurance consumers.

Some insurance companies are starting to catch on, asking where the vehicle is garaged a majority of the time (defined as where is it parked when not being driven).

Also important is where those miles are driven. The insurance risk is much lower in rural South Dakota than Los Angeles County. I don't think many insurance companies have figured out how to set rates for someone who is constantly moving between areas of high claims costs and low claims costs, so they don't underwrite policies.
What am I missing?
Why don't people just say " I'm living in my Van on an "extended" road trip... IF YOU NEED TO SAY ANYTHING AT ALL..

What am I missing?
Why don't people just say " I'm living in my Van on an "extended" road trip... IF YOU NEED TO SAY ANYTHING AT ALL..
Because your claim will/could be denied, and your policy canceled when they find out you were lying to them about your living status.

If you still have a home, that you own... IOW a real address, you could maintain you are on a long road trip... but if they find out you have no home, they will know you are living, not vacationing, in your vehicle, and your policy is deleted and any coverage you had will not be honored.

You are free to lie to them, and you will likely get away with it... but it is taking a huge risk if the fertilizer hits the ventilator.

As to why say anything at all.... the point of having insurance is to CYA when you need it and the worst happens... if the only reason you have Ins is to prove you have it when you register... well.. it'll work... but well...

YMMV IANAL

As this is a "van living" forum, there are certain subjects particular to van living. Insurance is one of them. Will those with RV's and such please refrain from providing RV-only replies - insurance is a no-brainer for them while being a huge problem for the rest of us.
Did you know that this very forum was called “Cheap RV Living” until very recently? The forum rules and mods and subjects are the same as they were.

Insurance is a subject that’s Is not particular to van living. It can be as difficult for those in RVs as it is for those in vans. Interestingly, the OP is not even in a van, but rather an SUV, and this thread is in the “car” section.

Please let’s not draw lines between us. It’s good enough for commenters to be clear about the kind of vessel they’re referring to.

Last edited:
Did not make a "full time", disclosure. I rather like to view it as just a long vacation, but having said that, I believe I get what you're saying. They (insurance companies) Do want to know where the vehicle stays, & what mileage accumulates. I do not have an RV, Camper, or such, Just the SUV. Being ex-military, I perceive an ability to tolerate inconveniences, for freedom & mobility. I can survive on fewer things. I was asked about renters insurance, and declined. Most items of mine are easily replaceable, including the vehicle itself (old 2010 - well maintained). I sincerely plan on finding a better patch of dirt in SD, if conditions are right.
PlmrPaulie, What company are you insured with?

I'm wondering if America's Mailbox is red flagged as not an official address by insurance companies? Did you use the address in the right form? I was told to use:
Name
514 Americas Way, (Suite, Apt, or just #) xxxxx (account #)
Box Elder, SD 57719

I would think Apt. # would seem most home address like. I have just my registration in South Dakota and thankfully have not been stopped by LEO to have to explain why my license and insurance are in another state. I will probably register the vehicle in Mississippi where my license, insurance and job are when I return after being in another state for almost 2 years now working remotely. Local Police in Mississippi really give a hard time to any out of state vehicles and drivers. I'd be pulled over every time I turned the key as I was when I first moved there with out of state plates.

I'll be retiring in May 2023 and will probably never set foot in Mississippi again after that. Planning on living in my converted van full time for a year or so, definitely not in the same place for long. So I'll be revisiting this registration, license, and insurance question again at that point.

I'm from, and my family is in California. Don't want to register there for a number of reasons, although using a relatives address would be much easier there. I do have a relative with a sheep ranch in South Dakota, so I suppose I could use that if A.M. won't work for insurance.

I'm curious, does anyone have experience with registering a van converted to an RV as an RV in South Dakota?

PlmrPaulie, What company are you insured with?

I'm wondering if America's Mailbox is red flagged as not an official address by insurance companies? Did you use the address in the right form? I was told to use:
Name
514 Americas Way, (Suite, Apt, or just #) xxxxx (account #)
Box Elder, SD 57719

I would think Apt. # would seem most home address like. I have just my registration in South Dakota and thankfully have not been stopped by LEO to have to explain why my license and insurance are in another state. I will probably register the vehicle in Mississippi where my license, insurance and job are when I return after being in another state for almost 2 years now working remotely. Local Police in Mississippi really give a hard time to any out of state vehicles and drivers. I'd be pulled over every time I turned the key as I was when I first moved there with out of state plates.

I'll be retiring in May 2023 and will probably never set foot in Mississippi again after that. Planning on living in my converted van full time for a year or so, definitely not in the same place for long. So I'll be revisiting this registration, license, and insurance question again at that point.

I'm from, and my family is in California. Don't want to register there for a number of reasons, although using a relatives address would be much easier there. I do have a relative with a sheep ranch in South Dakota, so I suppose I could use that if A.M. won't work for insurance.

I'm curious, does anyone have experience with registering a van converted to an RV as an RV in South Dakota?
I have USAA (Veterans) insurance. It's good nearly everywhere (All states). I attempted the address complete with "PMB" number. They still had problems with that address registering.

There exist databases of addresses which are used to validate addresses. Those databases flag PMBs.

Substituting "Apt" does nothing as the street address is the primary identifier.

Verizon uses such a database service to validate addresses on Internet orders to prevent fraud.

I believe in California your RV driving down the road is a Motor Vehicle, but when its sitting in a park it's a Mobile Home. You need to check with your state to see if they allow you to classify your Van as a RV.
I'm currently in CA so I'm legally "a homeless" and so would Bill Gates be in his 9 billion dollar motorhome. It sucks.

I'm borrowing a friend's business' address or lying through my teeth, depending on your perspective.

Once I get domiciled in Texas, I can just switch agents, still use Farmer's for insurance, and get the Cadillac of insurance for my home (2007 Dodge Grand Caravan) with change left over.....I think....YMMV ...

In other words, it sucks.

There exist databases of addresses which are used to validate addresses. Those databases flag PMBs.

Substituting "Apt" does nothing as the street address is the primary identifier.

Verizon uses such a database service to validate addresses on Internet orders to prevent fraud.
And yet, I'm able to room there, park my vehicle there, get my driver's licence complete with real ID - legally under South Dakota guidelines listing my address there.
(??)

Banks and insurers and even companies like wal-mart are just trying to cover their butts regarding fraud.

As an Escapee with domicile in Texas and escapes mail forwarding address in Texas, the only issue I have had with my address was with wal-mart grocery app declining my credit card because of the billing address associated with it. It got even worse when I complained via the feedback button— they repeatedly tried a zero charge on my card from AR, which freaked out my bank enough to close my card due to fraud.

Point being that companies using those databases interpret different addresses differently. Ask them about using an escapees address. If that’s out, try a different insurer. There’s always the option of using a friend’s or relative’s address. I hope I never have to do that.

What we need is national legislation that recognizes a vehicle as a valid home, and to not automatically categorize a nomad as homeless or less than a full citizen. Having a front door that doesn't move should not be criteria to become a citizen of this country in full.