Vehicle, registration, plates - but insurance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is "full time living" a different category?
Because "full time living" is a different category. The risk profile is different. I think the reason a lot of auto insurance companies shy away from covering nomads is because they don't have a good understanding of the risk they are taking on. We are still a tiny segment of insurance consumers.
If it's important to them, why don't they ask?
Some insurance companies are starting to catch on, asking where the vehicle is garaged a majority of the time (defined as where is it parked when not being driven).
Seems like the important factor would be how many miles/yr.
Also important is where those miles are driven. The insurance risk is much lower in rural South Dakota than Los Angeles County. I don't think many insurance companies have figured out how to set rates for someone who is constantly moving between areas of high claims costs and low claims costs, so they don't underwrite policies.

Full Timers insurance is .. not easy to get and is expensive if done right.

I was turned down by several companies. I ended up with progressive (retch) through the AARP system....
If you are full-time, then you need a policy that would cover you as it would if you were in a home. Also consider that if you are full time, you likely have more in your RV than someone that is part time, and the value of those possessions are not covered in a standard policy.

To the OP.. are you "full-time"? Did you tell your Ins agent that you were?

To Aytee... your request to add contents flagged them that you are full-time, and my guess is that they did not know or consider this at the time of initial policy issuance.

FYI.. my Ins is $1400 a year, including $15k in contents and high deductables.
Did not make a "full time", disclosure. I rather like to view it as just a long vacation, but having said that, I believe I get what you're saying. They (insurance companies) Do want to know where the vehicle stays, & what mileage accumulates. I do not have an RV, Camper, or such, Just the SUV. Being ex-military, I perceive an ability to tolerate inconveniences, for freedom & mobility. I can survive on fewer things. I was asked about renters insurance, and declined. Most items of mine are easily replaceable, including the vehicle itself (old 2010 - well maintained). I sincerely plan on finding a better patch of dirt in SD, if conditions are right.

As this is a "van living" forum, there are certain subjects particular to van living. Insurance is one of them. Will those with RV's and such please refrain from providing RV-only replies - insurance is a no-brainer for them while being a huge problem for the rest of us.

You’re going to have encounters with LEOs. Best to have the address match on your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Not sure how people get away with it, but there are some who drive without insurance coverage.

As this is a "van living" forum, there are certain subjects particular to van living. Insurance is one of them. Will those with RV's and such please refrain from providing RV-only replies - insurance is a no-brainer for them while being a huge problem for the rest of us.
Really!

I wouldn't call RV insurance a no-brainer, there are only a handful companies that will insure RV's for full time living. Allstate, and Geico, are 2 of them. Also there are some companies that only insure RV's. Look for companies that insure "Specialty Vehicles". Also Insurance companies are regulated by the state, so different States have different rules.

Also State laws have a lot to do with it, I believe in California your RV driving down the road is a Motor Vehicle, but when its sitting in a park it's a Mobile Home. You need to check with your state to see if they allow you to classify your Van as a RV.

Last edited:
Would you clarify what you mean? I've always just insured my truck. I'd imagine with a van you'd do the same. Seems simple and "no brainer" to me.

Would you clarify what you mean? I've always just insured my truck. I'd imagine with a van you'd do the same. Seems simple and "no brainer" to me.
Spaceman Spiff outlined the issues well. Also, with all one's worldly goods in one's car, there is no insurance available for it - it needs renter's insurance, requiring a "real" home.

In terms of vehicle insurance and “full time” restrictions, it’s possible the insurance company is thinking of full time *work* in the vehicle, not sleeping in it. From an insurance point of view, insuring a guy driving to and from his office versus insuring someone driving for Uber or Door Dash full time are two entirely different things. While sleeping in a vehicle makes the chance of theft or vandalism less, not more. If all the fine print says is “full time,” I bet they mean delivery or other driving work. My van is insured for liability and comprehensive. The contents are not covered, but there are situations in which the insurance expense is not worth the coverage. For instance, when I had a small motorcycle, theft premiums were so high that I realized if I could just keep the bike from being stolen for 2 years, I would have saved the entire cost of the bike. So, I just carried liability on the bike.

Spaceman Spiff outlined the issues well. Also, with all one's worldly goods in one's car, there is no insurance available for it - it needs renter's insurance, requiring a "real" home.
I haven't run across any issues, but I also don't make claims! If you were hanging out in a city with high crime but claiming SD residence, insurance would have a legit beef. I'm planning to domicile in Pahrump, NV, and I'm pretty sure the insurance company's assessment of costs/risk will be higher than reality, not less.

If I couldn't afford to have my stuff lost or stolen, I'd have less stuff... or create a bigger emergency fund. Insurance costs more than it's worth in the long run, unless you are "lucky".

Because "full time living" is a different category. The risk profile is different. I think the reason a lot of auto insurance companies shy away from covering nomads is because they don't have a good understanding of the risk they are taking on. We are still a tiny segment of insurance consumers.

Some insurance companies are starting to catch on, asking where the vehicle is garaged a majority of the time (defined as where is it parked when not being driven).

Also important is where those miles are driven. The insurance risk is much lower in rural South Dakota than Los Angeles County. I don't think many insurance companies have figured out how to set rates for someone who is constantly moving between areas of high claims costs and low claims costs, so they don't underwrite policies.
I think it is odd that insurance companies would think that someone living in their vehicle would be high risk. Wouldn't you think they would understand that anyone whose vehicle is their home is going to take care of it more religiously than someone just commuting to work in a vehicle?

I wouldn't call RV insurance a no-brainer, there are only a handful companies that will insure RV's for full time living. Allstate, and Geico, are 2 of them. Also there are some companies that only insure RV's. Look for companies that insure "Specialty Vehicles". Also Insurance companies are regulated by the state, so different States have different rules.

Also State laws have a lot to do with it, I believe in California your RV driving down the road is a Motor Vehicle, but when its sitting in a park it's a Mobile Home. You need to check with your state to see if they allow you to classify your Van as a RV.
In Oregon if you can show that your vehicle has been converted to an RV, it can be registered as such. To meet that criteria, the vehicle has to have an installed kitchen and a potty. You roll up to the DMV, let an employee check it out, and once they verify the kitchen (sink and cooking apparatus) and the potty, you're good to go.

In Oregon if you can show that your vehicle has been converted to an RV, it can be registered as such. To meet that criteria, the vehicle has to have an installed kitchen and a potty.
"Potty" is a little vague. Does that mean you only need a porta potty and not a built-in toilet with waste tank? Or maybe just a 5-gall. bucket variation like a Luggable Loo?

Does an "installed kitchen" mean one that has a sink that is plumbed to a waste tank? Or just a counter with a camp stove?

I'm in Michigan with an ambulance & had no problem getting a motorhome registation, plate & insurance with Progressive. Easy Peasy & nothing too it.

^How is your ambo equipped? Did the DMV do an inspection? Or did you just tell them "It's a motorhome" and they took your word for it? Ditto Progressive. Did they just base their rates on it being titled an RV or did they do more checking?

Last edited:
They just asked me at the sec of state or DMV. Tags are well under $100 per year & insurance about $400 per year.

I'll post on subjects that are relevant, you don't need to read them...

or is this resource suddenly going to start drawing lines???

Last edited:
I don't understand. Why is "full time living" a different category? If it's important to them, why don't they ask? Seems like the important factor would be how many miles/yr.

I just realized you have an RV and I have a pickup. Still seems like miles/yr would be the relevant number. I'm not interested in insuring the camper or contents, so that's another factor.

Because....

Instead of mostly being in one place, you are likely traveling around.
You are apt to be occupying the vehicle most of the time.
You may be be sleeping in the vehicle every night.
You may be over-nighting in unusual or what the Ins Co would consider unsafe places.
The vehicle is your home and you could be subject to legal action fhat could involve the Ins Co.
A full-timer is an unknown risk.
As a full-timer, you and your vehicle are exposed to a lot more risk.
As a full-timer, State laws vary a lot and would dictate certain aspects of law "in the unlikely event".

all of the above and more adds up to the In industry seeing a nomad as a different risk than someone that runs to work and back on weekdays and takes the kids ot the park on weekends.

..of course because I have an RV, none of these issues pertain to me... right?...

and as Space said... Ins Co's don;t really know what to do with the nomad crowd. So they kick them out and *their* problem is solvesd