1st trip in my new van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Activist

Reaction score
I picked up my van this Monday!

Flew at 7:31 am to Dallas, TX with American/Skywest Airlines, $174 for a one way ticket. Arrived at 9:15 am, dealer who sold me the van picked me up.

We went to his dealership to finish some paperwork, he then drove me to the Ford dealer to pick up the van. Did I mention that it needed nothing out of the ordinary?

Got my insurance, road side assistance, and off I went. Wanted to get some things done during daylight, but prefer to drive during nighttime.

Thanks to Google Maps, I had all initial and essential stops laid out. First one was a car wash, vacuuming and wiping everything down with disinfecting spray/wipes (even there you can find a Dollar General at almost every corner.

Second stop was a local Walmart, ordered for pickup: a twin size inflatable mattress, a set of sheets, pillow, blanket and a 12V inflator pump. Also a battery pack (Jackery), Koolatron 12V cooler and a 12V fan. And a Rand McNally road atlas, never go without one! I brought my little GPS, but that does not show me anything around.

Stopped at home improvement store to pick up some leftover carpet, to put in between floor and mattress. I took a shower every 2nd day at truck stops, day-to-day cleaning I did with body wipes. Restroom brakes were at public restrooms, truck stops etc. Brushing teeth I did inside or outside, rinsing and spitting out outside (not in public though). Sorry about the details, but I consider myself a clean person, so these items are essential to me.

Temperatures were not too bad, fan helped of course.

So I am back in Southern Michigan, and guess what: it was actually enjoyable. Now I am shopping for blinds and some lights, eventually even a little camping toilet, don't know yet.

Am selling everything I got. I don't have much, am not a materialistic person. I do have to figure out the whole residency -street address required- thing. I know there are some ways, but it looks like a clean establishment (like in South Dakota) might be the best bet.

I am actually thinking going on a weekend road trip, is that bad? ;)

sounds good... weekend road trip- since you already have roadside assistance, yes, go for a weekender! most people here use the 5 gallon bucket, or maybe cat hole toilet tekniques.

Wow...I’m so happy for you !!!  Wishing you the best !!!!!

Activist said:
Am selling everything I got. I don't have much, am not a materialistic person. I do have to figure out the whole residency -street address required- thing. I know there are some ways, but it looks like a clean establishment (like in South Dakota) might be the best bet.

I am actually thinking going on a weekend road trip, is that bad? ;)

You got the bug alright, you're in trouble now! (But it's a great kind of trouble, and you have plenty of company.)

Inflatble bed will do for temporary summer camping when it is warm. But not for the long term. Too cold!!! Too prone to punctures.

Showering at truck stops is OK for some but for me way too time consuming as well as a bugget buster.

But not to worry you will sort it out over time as to how to feel clean enough for your personal comfort level Hint: A bag full of Walmart microfiber washcloths and a pot of warm water will get you much cleaner than a handfull of wet wipes. Microfiber is better at exfoliating dead skin cells and removing dirt and the salts and oils from perspiration. Just set up some gallon sized ziplock bags to keep the used ones in until laundry day. They wash and dry quickly and are not prone tohosting mildew as a natural fiber like cotton will be.

Sounds like a successful trip!

I never had much luck with that Koolatron cooler, 20 degrees max below ambient doesn't do much when it's 90 degrees out... They are power hogs too.

All else sounds good. Enjoy your build. Oh, dollar store flat black poster board works pretty well for night time window blocks. Tape the edges and any seams with some sort of packing or duct tape to strengthen them.

The original post was on April 29. The last time the OP logged in was June 24th.

You listed a lot of purchases and mentioned selling everything you are not bringing.  I didn't notice any mention of tools or vehicle specific items such as a fan belt, oil, coolant, and other automotive chemicals.  No mention of duct tape, a first aid kit, jumper cables, highway flares or other safety markers.  Road side assistance is great, but it is only assistance, not full assumption responsibility for your situation.  It never helps to be prepared and head off problems before they have their way with you.  You drove from Texas to Michigan that is a impressive jaunt.  Miles add up, stay on top of your maintenance, because it's your first and strongest line of defense against vehicle decline and breakdowns.  Just because the van didn't need anything when you bought it doesn't mean it will stay that way.  If you take care of your van, your van will take care of you.