Vehicle, registration, plates - but insurance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm logged in to America's Mailbox (wonderful service btw!). Finally sold my house in Michigan & drove my Suburban there (to Box Elder, ND). I was successful in obtaining everything but - Even with my established Domicile & Residency, my insurance will not accept my new address (it's on my license!)
Anyone else? Help please; Thank You

It's always recommended to talk to an Independent Insurance Agent in your chosen state

Why North Dakota ?.........SOUTH Dakota is the usual Nomad choice

For me ESCAPEES club and their Florida RV park provided me a bulletproof "Garage" address

They have mail/club locations in South Dakota as well as Texas

How ""wonderful"" is the service if America's Mailbox address won't pass "Real ID" ?

^WRONG.....and Right everything needs to change to SOUTH...... DL and Insurance with different addresses ?

The Escapees......Three addresses/states......FL, SD and TX.....ALL pass the Real ID challenge.....

The club provides a real physical address at an RV park in the state.......

The mail service is USPS approved re-mailer....and they CAN provide scanning/shredding/forwarding for a price

Thousands of RVers use the service

AND an Independent Insurance Agent represents YOU to the Ins. Company........the agent has many options

^WRONG.....and Right everything needs to change to SOUTH...... DL and Insurance with different addresses ?

The Escapees......Three addresses/states......FL, SD and TX.....ALL pass the Real ID challenge.....
I understand (I think) that Escapees has the service and it works in the states you mentioned. But Paulie just got established in North Dakota. Maybe he/she can find a broker in North Dakota who can help find insurance. Some people don't know about brokers. (Is that what you call an Independent Agent?)

^Thanks Slow

^^Carla.....The Problem is No Agent/Broker can "perfect" a bad address....it's Real ID

Auto Insurance requires a physical address......a "Garaged" address for underwriting........you can have a different mailing address (but that doesn't help here)

I'm logged in to America's Mailbox (wonderful service btw!). Finally sold my house in Michigan & drove my Suburban there (to Box Elder, ND). I was successful in obtaining everything but - Even with my established Domicile & Residency, my insurance will not accept my new address (it's on my license!)
Anyone else? Help please; Thank You
Sorry, "South Dakota" (my bad)

When I signed up for Escapees in TX I didn't have a bit of problems with insurance, registration, tags or anything. I got most it done the same day.

I believe Escapees in SD is located in Rapid City that is very close to Box Elder.

Last edited:
Ok, so I think it may be solved, for now. They (insurance co) said they can "borrow" a relatives address, while still insuring me under rates for SD. They have my address in SD, but just cannot mail there, because their site doesn't recognize that address(?) I've changed to paperless, so "all coms by email" basically. Thank you all for your input.
I'm noting the Escapee's for future reference. Noting Not to confuse North & South Dakota again (Sorry!)
And noting just how important it really is, to have that hard address complete with "real id" residency, without the confusion of PO/PMB boxes. Thank you all again!

After years with them, I was canceled by Geico (without them informing me!) when I wanted to insure my car's contents (need renter's insurance), due to address issues. Now, sadly, I have to lie. There are many articles written about how "homeless" people cannot get insurance. It is a crime!

Maybe when we have grown enough in number we can get that changed, like health insurance companies being required to insure anyone.

Full Timers insurance is .. not easy to get and is expensive if done right.

I was turned down by several companies. I ended up with progressive (retch) through the AARP system....
If you are full-time, then you need a policy that would cover you as it would if you were in a home. Also consider that if you are full time, you likely have more in your RV than someone that is part time, and the value of those possessions are not covered in a standard policy.

To the OP.. are you "full-time"? Did you tell your Ins agent that you were?

To Aytee... your request to add contents flagged them that you are full-time, and my guess is that they did not know or consider this at the time of initial policy issuance.

FYI.. my Ins is $1400 a year, including $15k in contents and high deductables.

My RV insurance is only about $890 a year, and that is for full time living in it.

Is there an issue if you just insure the vehicle like anyone would?
There could be. Insurance companies draw a very thick line between normal vehicle use and someone living full time in that vehicle. If you were to read ll the fine print of your Ins policy, you would likely find a section that deliniates that the policy is not valid for full-time living... as such if an incident were to occur and they uncovered that you were living in the vehicle, any claim would be denied and your policy would be canceled. On one level, you are lying/defrauding to the Ins company by obtaining a [policy they would only offer to normal usage.

In addition, as the vehicle is your home, it is suggested that you have a similar "homeowners policy" to what you would have as a home owner, to cover you for when an incident outside of a vehicular accident occurred. Also.. contents.. anything of value you have with you would not be covered. Cameras, computers and other perhaps expensive gear is not covered under a standard auto policy.

The NADA value of my class A RV is $34k ( I did not pay close to that ) and as such my premium is going to be considerably more than a van/box truck/schoolie of similar age. ( not touting myself, just pointing out that premiums depend on perceived vehicle value)

So the $899 number above is likely in line with the value of his vehicle....

Also.. and this one can be a biggy... What is your credit rating, because this will have a major influence on an Ins co's willingness to insure a potential client. My credit has not been great over the past 4 years, so I knew going in that my rates would be high for those that accepted me and would also mean being rejected from others... Many ins carriers want the cream off the top... Full-timers in vehicles are not that market to them.

YMMV IANAL

There could be. Insurance companies draw a very thick line between normal vehicle use and someone living full time in that vehicle. If you were to read ll the fine print of your Ins policy, you would likely find a section that deliniates that the policy is not valid for full-time living... as such if an incident were to occur and they uncovered that you were living in the vehicle, any claim would be denied and your policy would be canceled. On one level, you are lying/defrauding to the Ins company by obtaining a [policy they would only offer to normal usage.
I don't understand. Why is "full time living" a different category? If it's important to them, why don't they ask? Seems like the important factor would be how many miles/yr.

I just realized you have an RV and I have a pickup. Still seems like miles/yr would be the relevant number. I'm not interested in insuring the camper or contents, so that's another factor.

I also have my car policy with them as well. The RV is listed as "Specialty Vehicle". My Car insurance is about the price, except only its a 6 month policy whereas the RV is a 12 month policy. The state you are listed in will make a difference as well.