Veggie Oil powered Cook Stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT646

Reaction score
Interesting video on a pressurized kerosene stove...modified to run on vegetable oil.

It looks like you first have to preheat the base of the burner with alcohol--to get it up to temperature. Might be a cool project for someone who wishes to get dual-use out of their cooking oil.

I think of the odor from the few times I've accidentally burned cooking oil. Mmmm, nah.

That's the same burner unit as my ancient Optimus 00 camp stove. Haven't tried anything but kerosene but I suppose diesel or similar would also work. I carry a small bottle of alcohol to use in the preheating tray.

A gallon of Walmart brand vegetable oil is currently priced at $7.82. So unless you have a source for used deep fryer oil wherever you might go, that's kind of a pricey fuel.

MrNoodly said:
A gallon of Walmart brand vegetable oil is currently priced at $7.82. So unless you have a source for used deep fryer oil wherever you might go, that's kind of a pricey fuel.

Very true...but you can't eat diesel. :eek:

Latest posts