Van purchase in the offing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
In my introductory post, I mentioned that I would be getting a minivan and at least in the beginning, use it to avoid motel costs when it takes more than a day's driving to get to a job, and then I'd expand out from there.

I found a 2014 Toyota Sienna that carmax is shipping free to my location. I'm hoping I like it as much in person as the pics. I'll take the seats out and use an inflatable mattress that I have at home for now until I gradually get it outfitted. I have plastic containers that I'm already using, but I'll need a few more. The windows are already tinted (is that standard in minivans cuz they all seem to have them?), and since I'll be more living "out of the van" for now, I can take my time arranging it how I like.

Super excited!

That generation has "theater seating" so you will have to level the floor out some. Look on "Siennachat" which is a large Toyota Sienna forum that covers all of the generations of the Sienna as far as general information and mechanical issues/hacks.

Good for you! Congratulations on finally getting your van! Minivan camping was my first experience with using a van for road trips, and I really loved it. I was using a rental Dodge Grand Caravan and it worked really well. As it wasn't my own van, I couldn't build anything into it. However I found it quite delightful, compared to my previous experience of camping in the back of my small pickup truck with a cramped camper space. I loved that I could set out a twin size mattress and have a lot of room to spare for storage all around it. If you set the mattress up on a small frame, you'd get a large amount of storage space underneath it. Bob Wells has a video on doing a very simple minivan setup, because he works with an organization that gets minivans for people needing a vehicle to live in.

TWIH said:
That generation has "theater seating" so you will have to level the floor out some. Look on "Siennachat" which is a large Toyota Sienna forum that covers all of the generations of the Sienna as far as general information and mechanical issues/hacks.
Thanks so much for that info!

WayOutWest said:
Good for you! Congratulations on finally getting your van!  Minivan camping was my first experience with using a van for road trips, and I really loved it.  I was using a rental Dodge Grand Caravan and it worked really well.  As it wasn't my own van, I couldn't build anything into it.  However I found it quite delightful, compared to my previous experience of camping in the back of my small pickup truck with a cramped camper space.  I loved that I could set out a twin size mattress and have a lot of room to spare for storage all around it.  If you set the mattress up on a small frame, you'd get a large amount of storage space underneath it.  Bob Wells has a video on doing a very simple minivan setup, because he works with an organization that gets minivans for people needing a vehicle to live in.
I've seen that video. Bob is a treasure!

Find this thread on SiennaChat: https://www.siennachat.com/threads/seat-track-removal-in-my-2013.7603/

Discussion Starter • #1 • Apr 17, 2013
"I can't figure out how to remove the seat track assembly in my new 13 Sienna. The entire reason I bought the van was because I need a flat interior behind the front seats. I was going to buy the Chrysler but was swayed by the higher quality of the Sienna. I had seen older ones and the seats remove to a flat floor. I never would have dreamed that upon removing the seats I'd be left with an entire rail assembly protruding from the floor. Seems like a big mistake by Toyota. I figure there must be a way to unbolt the assy and simply replace it if or when I want the middle seats in. This will be a deal killer and I will end up selling/trading a brand new van for the Chrysler. Wouldn't that drive the Toyota brass nuts. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance."

#2 • Apr 19, 2013
The track assembly is not meant to be removed. There has been some discussion on the forum about this and one person said that in order to remove them, you'd need to remove a few parts under the floor to access the bolt securing them in place. Sorry.

#3 • Apr 19, 2013
Check out the last post in this thread http://www.siennachat.com/forum/89-...-remove-second-row-seat-tracks-off-floor.html

It isn't plug-n-play. The poster claims that that trained tech took 3 hours to remove it. So if you are willing to shell out for 3-4 hours of labor it can be done. Seems like once its out, it stays out.

Discussion Starter • #8 • Apr 20, 2013
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. It doesn't matter who it is on. The situation is what it is and now I need to figure a solution. I'm betting this design dies with the next redesign. The whole design is flawed. For whatever readon a person has to remove the seats in their van, they should be able to expect that removing the seats will expose a useable floor. As it is these carriages leave an unusable area and a potential tripping hazard. Many run without the middle seats and only use the rear seat to allow for addl legroom besides cargo needs. Where this goes is anyone's guess. Toyota is generally good about these things. The worse case scenario is trading it in for a Honda or T&C, which is a real possibiity. I'll send a note to Toyota with a suggestion to fix this as well. It is rare that Toyota loses to the competition.

#17 • May 8, 2013
I'm an idiot and did the same thing. We traded in a 2005 Sienna that we loved, but it had the AWD and we didn't have enough need for it. Plus it had many miles. We always had the 2nd row seats out since it works well that way for biking, skiing, etc. Our dog sits in the 3rd row, and he can get up and walk around a bit w/o the 2nd row. I just figured the 2013 would be the same, since I told the salesman that we always kept the 2nd row out. You'd think he would have told us about the change to the rail system (when did Toyota do that?). Easiest solution to me looks like building a 2" high plywood platform with some carpeting on top. Pain in the ass, but it's my own fault for not asking more questions. I also overlooked the lack of power back vent windows which we had on our 2005 and are not on the 2013.

Discussion Starter • #20 • May 17, 2013
Well it's been a bit over a month and try as I can I can't come up with an easy solution except making a false floor to place over the tracks. Some people have replied and blamed us for not checking this first. They must not need the feature or they would be as annoyed as we are. You have to wonder who okayed this one. My dealer didn't even know - now some would say that they knew and didn't tell so that they could make the sale. I bought from a reputable, neighborhood dealer. They even gave my van to the service people to figure it out. I was able to partially dissemble it, but what a pain. As much as I like this van I wish I bought a competitor's. All of the quality in the world doesn't help if the vehicle doesn't fit your needs.

Hmm. I wonder if they changed that with the 2014. I'm only temporarily in town. I'm due back at my travel job in another state and won't necessarily have time to get another vehicle through carmax (unless it's already there on the lot). I could go to another dealership. Off to do some googling.

So, not really interested in looking for another van. If I like this one when I look at it today (they had to ship it from another location), then I'll just either pay a technician for the 3 hours of labor to remove the tracks, or I'll build a plywood floor. I don't need to live in it full-time just yet. I'll be living "out of it" so I just need to haul my shit around in it for now.

No van. ? I didn't like the Sienna and I wasted days waiting for carmax to ship it. I should have gone to other places. Now it's too late. I'll be in another state in a few days. I went next door to the kia dealer and I liked the sedona, but they wouldn't make a deal.

What minivans give a flat smooth floor when the seats are removed?

Grand Caravan, older gen Toyota (2004 - 2010), Honda Odyssey up to 2010 is pretty flat, same with Kia before 15'. You'd have to confirm those last two but I'm pretty sure about the first 2.
Always see one in person to confirm. Buying sight unseen is dangerous.

TWIH said:
Grand Caravan, older gen Toyota (2004 - 2010), Honda Odyssey up to 2010 is pretty flat, same with Kia before 15'. You'd have to confirm those last two but I'm pretty sure about the first 2.
Always see one in person to confirm. Buying sight unseen is dangerous.

Yeah, I'd never buy sight unseen, but with carmax, the one I wanted was at another location and they shipped it. It was only 5 hours away by car, but I assumed they wanted to wait until they had enough vehicles going to my city to make it worth their while, so it took about 6 days. I saw it in person and knew I wouldn't like the way it would look with the seats out. But I test drove it anyway and the driver's side mirror wouldn't adjust up far enough. I should've looked online at what was available at local dealerships instead of just waiting for carmax. Plus, when I went there, I didn't get a good vibe and will probably not deal with carmax ever.

There's a car place about a half hour from me with several Dodge Grand Caravans. I'm going to look today. If I don't find anything I like, I'll just have to wait until May when I'll be back in my home state.

I'm at the dealership now waiting for the paperwork. I got a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan and ALL THE SEATS STOW, not just the third row. So now it's all flat in there! It handles well and has lots of nice options. I love it!

Thats nice for you. Pretty young and a proven drivetrain. Get on the Dodge Grand Caravan forum and watch what people are saying.
You have whats called a "5th Gen".  Significant changes in 2011, not much since then.

Oh and ignore all the Dodge haters. Remember that forums, be they auto or whatever, are for the "enthusiast" or those with questions. There will always be trolls and haters but you can sort those out. You'd never buy ANY vehicle if you read the "bd news" posts and decided not to buy that brand due to them.

Now there are proven issues with certain years and makes/models. You avoided the worst of the post 2011 Dodges by purchasing newer than 2014. The brakes were bad from 2005 - 2013 but starting in 2014 all but the AVP trims got the hd brakes. You just needed 17" wheels to be sure.
Then in 2014-15 there were issues with oil filter housings cracking (they are plastic) and leaking oil. However that seems to have been remedied.

It's not a "refined" rig but it is cheap, has a wonderful seat storage system and a proven drivetrain now (same one since 2011).

Enjoy your van.

Yeah, there seems to be a bias towards Japanese vehicles and against American (I'm just old enough to remember when it was the opposite). And I think attitude matters in terms of reporting things. I used to follow a blog whose author used a MacBook, and in about 4 years, she had gone through three laptops that had bricked. I remember thinking, "I've had the same Acer laptop for this entire time. So much for Apple products being better."