Van high top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grndskpr

Reaction score
With the price of pro masters and transits pretty high and sprinters being what they are I was looking at installing a high top on a Chevy 3500. Problem is I can’t seem to find a manufacturer in the Midwest. Fiberine seems like the goto company but I can imagine shipping is going to be crazy expensive and I would rather spend that money on something else. Does anyone have a lead on a high top manufacturer in Indiana( home of the rv manufacturer) I just can’t seem to find anything 
Thanks much

I've seen people actually make the trek to Fiberine, have them install it, and it's cheaper than shipping.
Another option is to look around in junk yards for a high top in good shape.
Good luck!

I have bought several from auto dismantlers in the $100 to $200 range.   Installation is easy and takes about 3 to 4 hours at most.  You will need 3 or 4 friends to ass the thing up onto your prepped van.

X2 on what 66788 said. they are basically a pain in the ass and worthless to junk yards. go into your negotiations with that in mind. BTW they are make and model specific. in other words you want one for your make and model. putting a Dodge high top on a Ford or Chevy doesn't work out all that well. or vice versa. highdesertranger

Been looking locally(Chicago) and so far zero in the bone yards. I will keep looking just have to believe there can’t be only one van high roof company

there is one back east that Bob used. beware he did not have a good experience. highdesertranger

Not sure about Indiana... However a fiber line alternative... Is this company in Vancouver bc..
https://vantops.tufport.com/

Come out this way in the spring.. looks like they do one day service .. can't think of a much better region to start a journey than the PacNw... Especially in spring and summer.

Looks like they have a plan to maintain service to Americans as well during the covid...

Keep us updated if you come across any other hitop companies.

Looks like that company will even ship you the topper if you want to self install.

The one back east is out of business, at least there website is no longer active, so I suspect the poor experience was enough to make it not worth the effort. As for tufport, I did read up on them, seems like it might be worth the trip, but it would also delay any build plans I had for the winter, I would prefer to get a top before I start actually finishing the interior. Nothing in the bone yards, it seems I might be late to the party as vans have exploded across the US. Oh well, glad I started this project early, no need to rush. Thanks for all the help

What about something like this?
https://padtinyhouses.com/diy-van-high-top/
There's a few DIY build high tops online, this is one of the better looking.

I've even seen a couple vans where they used a cap from a pickup. Looked a little odd but the back flip up was kinda cool.
Can't find any pic on a quick search.

GrndskprBeen looking locally(Chicago) and so far zero in the bone yards. I will keep looking just have to believe there can’t be only one van high roof company

Of course thete are no longer more than a coulpe of makets of mplded high tp pieces.

The demand for molded , iberglass van tops has just about dissapeared so the companies that mafe them are pretty much out of business now. The decline began when the tall Sprinter vans became available. Ttrasport companies think of it this way...bother with all the leak isdues of cutting into a van and adfing a top when the vehicle you can sll enough to stand up on. You are out of touch with the supply and demand issues for this situation and are judging things based on your need to buy an old van to conert to a living space for yourself. But it is commercial business that determines what happens with cargo fleet vehicles.

There was a guy on here in Owensboro ky trying to sell one off and on very cheap. I can’t recall his handle however.

When cutting the opening in the original van roof it would be advisable to weld, bolt, rivet or screw in a simple metat frame to reinforce the opening to add rigidity.

I have seen this done with simple lengths of angled steel riveted at the opening, which is then used to secure the upright panels of the high roof to (lengths of rubber insulate and waterproof the reinforcing frame to the van roof).

3/8 plywood would be suitable for the roof (or 1/2 if preferred, but is heavier).

The roof only needs to withstand travelling at road speeds and keeping out weather.

I'm going to make what is in effect a simple inverted boat to bolt onto a van to make a high roof. If you think about it, its simply an upside-down little boat bolted to your roof!

Thinking of it in these terms also makes it less daunting to the DIY person faced with doing it on a budget and without a workshop.

I don't see it that way. I know if I wanted to I could find a used high top cheap. more than likely a homebuilt one will heavy and rickety. especially one made out of wood.

I have already remarked on another thread that this summer in my travels from Arizona to Oregon and back again I saw hundreds if not thousands of derelict RV's on farms, ranches and in peoples yards. I would say at least 10% of them were class B's, in other words vans with high tops. for the life of me I can't figure out why anybody would try to build their own.

my buddy and I buy old 4x4's this way all the time. a year ago we had 11 Chevy square body trucks, 2 Toyota 4 runners. and one Ford F250 4x4. we have cut the inventory down considerably. there is one 4runner left and 5 square bodies.

highdesertranger

I plan on doing one myself but I’m a year away before I do it. I have a lot of experience with making molds and I plan on fabricating a top for my van. Once a perfect the process I’ll make a YouTube video of it.