Is there a cheap version of a gasoline heater that can be used at high altitude?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanSkulk

Reaction score
I've been looking around and the information on this seems pretty sparse. Most posts are talking about Deisel. If I can't find a gasoline based heater for high altitude I think I would be better off getting propane, but I'm seeing some negatives about that at high altitude as well. I know there has to be some of you out there spending time in the Colorado Mountains or similar elevations.

Apparently many of the diesel parking heaters can run on gasoline but need some adjusting for the alternative fuel. But my understanding is they are more efficient for fuel consumption running on diesel fuel than when run on gasoline. So do not judge solely on price per gallon if fuel cost is your decision criteria.

High altitude requires setting adjustments no matter what the fuel type. Then readjustment for low altitude.

My diesel heater is not a cheap one so I can do that altitude adjustment by holding in the start button for 10 seconds rather than 3 seconds.

But for my Honda portable gasoline generator when changing from low to high altitudes I have to physically switch out the fuel jet to an alternative size. It is what it is, but not an overwhelmingly difficult or major time consuming DIY task. The first time is the hardest!

Last edited:
Most posts here are talking about cheap heating solutions. Old VWs had gasoline heaters that could be adjusted for altitude and even shared some parts with aircraft heaters. There used to be someone in Colorado that specialized in restoring and selling them. I would check with some of the bigger VW forums as well as vintage aircraft forums. If you find one it won’t be cheap. Truckers go over mountain passes all the time and use bunk heaters, I imagine there are gasoline conversions available for those as well. Using propane isn’t a problem as long as it is stored in a warm vented compartment and quality hoses with a filter and drop tube are used along with quality simple heaters as are used in ice fishing set ups. Seems the problems arise with malfunctioning safety systems and unvented low quality heaters. What ever you use make sure you have a good backup sleeping bag and plenty of wool clothing so you can survive should things not work out.

Scroll a ways down in this link to
An article about Chinese diesel heaters and you will find a couple of reviews on specific models of Chinese diesel heaters which also say that the heater can be fueled with unleaded gasoline as well
as diesel and kerosene.
Just because you have not seen it mentioned before does not mean they can not be run on gasoline. It is not uncommon that they can be run on gasoline, it is just not commonly discussed as an option in online forums so not many people know about it.
https://crazytroll.no/complete-guide-to-chinese-diesel-heaters/

Last edited:
David McLucky does all kinds of tests on these heaters on his YouTube channel. Here's one where he tries to run one on gasoline.

This is all great information. Thank you everyone.

I don't want to do diesel because that would add a whole new fuel type that I'm not currently using. My van runs on gasoline and I have propane for cooking and heating water. So I really prefer to stick with one of these.

After reviewing the information above, I just don't think gasoline is a good choice. I will want to be able to change altitudes frequently and I'm currently in Denver, Colorado, so I'm starting out at high altitude.

So as the FarOutRide people say "Winner: Propex"

I have not heard of a "cheap Chinese propane heater" so I guess I'm looking at the Propex HS2211 Furnace so I can mount it underneath.

Thanks again, these things are pricey and I didn't want to make a decision willy-nilly.

I had a Propex in my last van. Ran great for 4 years till I sold the van. I did read the comparison between Propex and Webasto above, but the authors were very subjective in their assessment of the 2 heaters, so I would disregard that comparason.

From what I've gathered, the propane stoves are immune to changes in elevation. They apparently have some other issues such as temperature. But as long as you keep the tank warm that seems like the most important thing.

I just installed a Dickinson propane vented heater in my cargo trailer. No gas fumes inside... I will keep it to use in a high roof van some day too.

I had to look up Dickinson. I realize now that I had seen some of those, but just passed them by because I didn't know what I was looking at. I see that people are really happy with them, but I have no place in my build where I could mount one. I need a low profile unit.

A diesel heater is low profile, but I just didn't care for the smell of diesel fuel.

Last edited:
Planar / Autoterm makes a heater that runs on gasoline. Its not cheap but much less than the Webasto, which makes the premium air heater that runs on gasoline. Same low profile unit as the diesel heaters modeled after the German made Webasto / Espar heaters. Link to: Autoterm Air 4B-HA.
It advertises: "The Autoterm Air 4B-HA is equipped with a self-adjusting system for operations at high altitudes up to 9800 ft."

Thanks for the tip GoingMobile. The website is a little contradictory. In one place it says it is for diesel and in another place it says gas. I will try to find some feedback on this unit. Could be a real winner.

I think the bulk of the heaters they make are Diesel, so they may re-use text that covers both at times. But they definitely make one that runs on gasoline or as they say in Europe, Petrol. It is a bit larger, higher output, than the Webasto model that runs on gasoline. Not sure how that effects fuel consumption.

I did some hunting around online today. Yes, they definitely do make a gas/petrol heater with automatic elevation adjustment.

Unfortunately it must be installed inside the vehicle.

I still may get this item, but I will have to talk to a welder about making a housing for it, because there is no way I'm installing it inside.

Thanks again for the tip GoingMobile!

A while ago there was a thread on Expedition Portal showing putting a diesel bunk heater into a Pelican storage case and ducting the heat into his camper.

That is pretty cool. It looks like they are making a portable heater they can use anywhere.

Another very interesting option. I think this thread is going to become the one stop shop for all things van heat.