Van Essential: Dutch Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gals at Food Storage Made Easy have instructions for making a Wonder Oven (same concept as the Wonderbag). You can find the link to the pattern and instructions at the bottom of the following link.

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/emergency-preparedness/powerless-cooking/

I've used a hay box cooker (again, same concept) using a ceramic bean pot. Don't know why I never thought to use my Dutch Oven or Combo Cooker in it, but now I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks!

I have a wonderbag and it lives up to its name, it is a wonder! It would work great with a dutch oven except for all the soot, it would be a mess.
Bob

Greetings!

I love my dutch oven, but I use it mainly crock pot style I guess, if I want an oven, I use my Coleman folding oven.

Do you guys use Coleman type ovens too, or just the Dutch Ovens? One thing I like about the Coleman's is the built in thermometer. Makes it really easy to bake pies, cobblers, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes, etc.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

I have a non-legged dutch oven and a legged dutch oven camping with them for years no one has ever complained about the results being solo the small legged one gets more use.

I have 2 dutch ovens, coleman folding oven, and camp chef oven. I retired the coleman. friend said he wanted the coleman but hasn't come by to get yet. highdesertranger