Van choice-Well maintained, $900 minivan or ???? ~$2000ish van from Craigslist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheoBennett

Reaction score
Hello all.  I'm moving into a van at the end of September (which is the next time I will have some cash).  I've been lurking here for years, but my marriage has stopped me from making the plunge.  My wife and I are separating now, so this is my chance.  

My plan so far has been to find whatever I could on short notice under $2000 and move in. That would leave me with about $1000(max) to convert and outfit my van, at least initially.  I was tentatively planning on/hoping for some sort of early nineties/late eighties cargo van, but I will only have 2 weeks or so to shop around before I need to move out, so it's a gamble and I'll have to take what I can get.  

However, my in-laws (who I remain on excellent terms with) just bought a new car and are selling their 2001 Toyota Sienna.  I had never considered a minivan before, but they only want around $900 for it and it only has 150k on the engine (there was a recall a decade or so ago and the manufacturer replaced the entire engine).  The odometer shows around 200k.   They are also methodical about preventative maintenance, so I know that it has been well-maintained.  

Between the mileage, the low price, and the fact that it's less likely to spontaneously crap out than something I get online, I'm very tempted to go for it.  What do you all think? 

FWIW, I'll be living for the next 9-12 months on a college campus in the heart of downtown, so I won't be doing much travelling and I have plenty of places to go to get out of the van.

It sounds ideal, I'd grab it up fast!!

I know it sounds weird, but consider a hammock for a bed. I don't know if it would be long enough or tall enough, but boy would it save room. I know your first thought is it can't possibly work, but it's worth considering.
Bob

How much stuff do you have and how do you feel in very tight spaces? I've been in a compact cargo van (not much bigger than what you're looking at) for several years and prefer it over something bigger. I'm weird, though - I like small spaces and enjoy the challenge of fitting everything I want into it.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always change later if you need to. Even with all the seats removed and modifications done to that thing you'll still be able to unload it easily for what you paid for it, assuming it still runs. There are always people looking for cheap haulers.

If you think you can handle the small space I see no reason not to jump on the minivan. Several months later when you've hopefully saved up a little money you can decide if you want to keep it or take your time finding a suitable larger replacement.

Funnily enough Bob, I was just watching this video of someone hanging a hammock a few minutes ago

http://outsidemom.com/2011/05/minivan-turned-rv/

They just braced it against the doors, but I know a more permanent solution wouldn't be too much harder. It's definitely a good thought. I also think this Sienna would be quite a bit more stealthy, once I tint and then cover the windows.

I'm basically taking nothing with me in the move except bedding/clothing and such.  I'll be essentially starting from scratch, so I can structure what I buy around what I can fit in the van.  

Reducto, it also occured to me that this is very low risk.  Worst case scenario, I live in it for a few months while I save some money for something bigger and then resell.

Minivan, little if any modification until you figure out if it will work. You should be able to sell it easy if you want something else

In a really difficult time, the Universe has offered you a huge blessing and gift. I'd say a giant thank you and grab it up!
Bob

It sure looks like it Bob. I've been stressing for a while about what sort of van I might have to settle for in my short time frame. While this isn't exactly what I had in mind, it'll be interesting to try something different. I'm pretty sure I'm going for it.

Yeah, an extra grand in the hand is worth a whole lot at this point in time for you! Also, you already know what shape it's in as compared to buying something else and only having a grand for setting it up to use AND doing any immediate repairs - a set of tires alone can take that much!

Grab the Sienna and try it out for a few months - at the end of that time you will either want to replace it with something larger or you will have figured out how to make it work for you.

The easiest and safest way to hang a hammock is to use a couple of pieces of PVC maybe 6 or 8" in length, wrap your suspension around them and put them on the outside of the passenger door and the drivers side of the rear lift so that the hammock is suspended cross-wise. The problem with doing it this way is that the PVC is showing outside the van, reduces the stealth greatly. There is no part of a van that is constructed in such a fashion as to support the cross wise weight loads that you in a hammock will present - be very, very careful if you try to figure out how to hang a hammock with all the parts inside the van.

The downside of using a hammock in a Sienna is that you will have very, very little room for storing stuff because once the hammock is hung at the proper angle to give you a comfortable lay, there will be precious little room, if any, underneath it.

If you think a hammock might work for you, head over to hammockforums.net and do a search for the threads about hanging inside vehicles.

The advantage of using a bed platform inside a vehicle is that you can use the underside for storage. In the Sienna, you're going to want to either keep one side of the floor for sleeping on and set up the other side of the van for storage or you'll want to keep a bed unit rather low so that you can sit up. There's lots of threads around here from people who manage in the mini vans for you to take ideas from.

Oh and welcome to the forums!

Buy it and try it, good little van I have a 1987 and use it for a work van reliable and sturdy

Oh what a bargain the mini van would be. If by any chance you are not going for it could you post it here, it sound ideal for a lot of people.

Good luck in your new life and decision.

Nicole

Normally, I would not even consider a FWD minivan, BUT it is a Toyota. IMO, you would be better served by a mid 80s-very early 90s full sized Ford but they are much more rare since cash for clunkers. Give it a shot and best of luck.

The OP decided on the minivan. It's workable, but tighter than I would like. I think that my next home will be a full sized van. Live and learn, right?

I went simple, figuring I'll be modifying as I go. Bed down the driver's side with cheap plastic drawers underneath, countertop down about half the passenger side with stove attached and a 2 gallon water dispenser on top. 5 gallon bucket toilet, trash, laundry basket, and propane are all by the back door.

It's not terrible at all, but I'm sort of a homebody and would like somewhere a little bit roomier to spend my time. I'll definitely go bigger next time, but this is comfortable enough for now.

I used to own the same vehicle...for the price you paid, it sure seems like you got a steal. With the seats gone, I found it had lots of room...I really liked the dual sliding doors. But I never set it up for full time and I certainly would have felt cramped. I also found it difficult to black out everything without it looking kinda obvious in the daylight.

But overall it was a nice van, thinking I paid $4k for it about 5yrs ago. Unfortunately it suffered a fire caused by wrapped up stain rags that self-combusted. Actually, it would be more accurate to say it suffered smoke, and then a bunch of gung-ho firemen completely totaled the vehicle :(

Well thanks for letting us know. You shouldnt lose anything when you resell, might even get enough to get a cargo or window van without any extra cash, if you stay in the 80's or 90's.

You are getting good practice for now. Gas mileage much better as well.

Any pics? Sounds like an interesting set up...

Latest posts