Van Build Ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVRoadCrue

Reaction score
Hi [font=Arial, sans-serif]my friends![/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]I am planning my van build and am hoping for ideas in general.[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif](I realize each persons needs are individual but am just looking for ideas I may not have thought of as far as room/space planning)
Below are ideas I have (Some are [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]possibilities [/font]and not firm, as I said looking for ideas) 
The benefit of having a year to plan is the opportunity to get it closer at least to right! LOL
[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Now I like some comforts but alas some are probably more dreams haha. But still......[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Here are my ideas so far, anything I could be missing?[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Ideas for space planning:[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]
[size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Fresh Water Jug Storage[/font]
[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Grey Water Jug Storage[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]2x Lithium Ion Batteries Storage[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Electrical Compartment (Pure Sine Wave Inverter And Misc. Electrical)[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Dometic Fridge/Freezer[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Cubic Mini Wood Stove[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Wood (Small Bin)[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Bin for 3 Electric Guitars and 1 Acoustic Guitar[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Kitchen Counter Top For Sink And Stove[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Pantry For Dry Foods/Cat Food[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Cat Litter Box[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Pots/Pans[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Clothes[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Retractable Ladder[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Buddy Heater[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Propane Tank[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Camera/Film Gear[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Hygine Items And Meds[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Storage For Drone[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Extra Storage Bin For Misc. Items[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Safe[/font]

Thanks for any friendly ideas guys!

[/size][/font]

I cannot see any reasonable possibility of incorporating a wood stove into a VAN build.  A box truck or a bus build, maybe.  Or a trailer, if it's big enough.  But you need a certain amount of safety space around a hot wood stove to prevent fires and burning yourself and your cat, and I just don't think a van has enough space to accommodate it.

Get the dimensions of a typical van and use some masking tape to lay out that space on a floor somewhere.  Use some cardboard to lay out thing like your bed and kitchen cabinet and the stove and so on and try fitting everything else into that space.  I think you'll find it doesn't work. IMNPHO.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Yeah I kinda had the idea of a s[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]mall small wood stove as a wish list item but thought that was one thing that probably wouldnt work. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]And that portable AC looks very cool!  :cool: [/font]

Several things to keep in mind ...
You will need a place to put dirty clothes.
You will space for food.
A ... uh ... pot to piss in at the very least.
A place for your trash. Remember, if you're boondocking for 2 weeks or more you will have two weeks of trash to deal with. If you're sitting still for just a few days you might have several days of poop. If stationary I assume that more local disposal would make sense if you can.
Shoes. It is amazing how much room shoes take up.
A tote of camping gear, small tent, porta stove, sleep pad
CAMP CHAIR! - get a good one
You mention toiletries but don't mention TP or paper towels. I point them out because they take up room.
Keep in mind that you will be traveling with towels and bedding. Plan for the worst weather imaginable.
5 gallon buckets - Their uses are immeasurable. Carry water. filter water. wash clothes. poop. chair. trash can. site marker.
Plan some empty space. You will accumulate stuff. You will also most certainly shed things as well. Plan for how it will be driving away from town with the fridge stocked and your clothes clean and put away but also for leaving camp when you have trash, laundry, and waste water to pack out.

Rather than Lithium Ion consider LiFePO4.  For the most reliable lowest cost least chance of screwing up big time get a pair of flooded lead acid golf cart batteries.  If you consider anything else, compare it to golf cart batteries before parting with large sums.  Other technologies do have advantages but if you haven't done the research they can cost a lot and not deliver what you need.

How do you plan to charge the batteries?  Hooking up to the vehicle electrical system can be helpful but generally it is not enough by itself, particularly with a fridge.

Your list doesn't include a vent fan.  I love my Maxx fan.
You have fresh water, grey water, but don't have space reserved for the 5 gallon bucket.
When downsizing to fit in a van you might reconsider 3 electric guitars with no amp.
You will need a bed.  A hammock might work but don't bet on it if you haven't tried it.
You might want a seat and a desk, place for laptop, place to put food while eating.

What is a retractable ladder for?

With all that space intensive stuff listed, I see a good box trailer in your future.
Otherwise, you will be offloading a bunch of stuff before you can sleep or cook.

Trebor English said:
Rather than Lithium Ion consider LiFePO4.  For the most reliable lowest cost least chance of screwing up big time get a pair of flooded lead acid golf cart batteries.  If you consider anything else, compare it to golf cart batteries before parting with large sums.  Other technologies do have advantages but if you haven't done the research they can cost a lot and not deliver what you need.

How do you plan to charge the batteries?  Hooking up to the vehicle electrical system can be helpful but generally it is not enough by itself, particularly with a fridge.

Your list doesn't include a vent fan.  I love my Maxx fan.
You have fresh water, grey water, but don't have space reserved for the 5 gallon bucket.
When downsizing to fit in a van you might reconsider 3 electric guitars with no amp.
You will need a bed.  A hammock might work but don't bet on it if you haven't tried it.
You might want a seat and a desk, place for laptop, place to put food while eating.

What is a retractable ladder for?

Ah yes, I was ai[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ming this thread at things to plan space/cabinets and layout ideas for primarily lol. But I plan for a fantastic fan, hopefully two and solar (I will have to look at the Maxx fans also). Access to the roof for cleaning of the solar is the reason for the ladder. Very observant eye you have there! LOL

Planning a bed with decent storage underneath. And for a laptop/eating area/desk I was thinking of a Spiderlegs folding table as seen in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RZMUB0/ref=twister_B007LA5QHO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1[/font]

[ATTACH=full said:
12021[/ATTACH] LeeRevell pid='272901' dateline='1489953062']With all that space intensive stuff listed, I see a good box trailer in your future.
Otherwise, you will be offloading a bunch of stuff before you can sleep or cook.

Something similar to this is what I dream about but I shall see what is in the cards budget wise a year from now. (Planning on a lot of overtime for the next 12 months and ideally several performance bonuses) With a cargo box most likely on the back as also seen below.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Transp...1489954725&sr=8-28&keywords=cargo+box+for+suv

Attachments

• Ford Van 1.jpg
    Ford Van 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5
Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Several things to keep in mind ...
You will need a place to put dirty clothes.
You will space for food.
A ... uh ... pot to piss in at the very least.
A place for your trash. Remember, if you're boondocking for 2 weeks or more you will have two weeks of trash to deal with. If you're sitting still for just a few days you might have several days of poop. If stationary I assume that more local disposal would make sense if you can.
Shoes. It is amazing how much room shoes take up.
A tote of camping gear, small tent, porta stove, sleep pad
CAMP CHAIR! - get a good one
You mention toiletries but don't mention TP or paper towels. I point them out because they take up room.
Keep in mind that you will be traveling with towels and bedding. Plan for the worst weather imaginable.
5 gallon buckets - Their uses are immeasurable. Carry water. filter water. wash clothes. poop. chair. trash can. site marker.
Plan some empty space. You will accumulate stuff. You will also most certainly shed things as well. Plan for how it will be driving away from town with the fridge stocked and your clothes clean and put away but also for leaving camp when you have trash, laundry, and waste water to pack out.

YES!!! These are the kind of ideas from experience I was looking for thank you!

RVRoadCrue said:
Yeah I kinda had the idea of a s[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]mall small wood stove as a wish list item but thought that was one thing that probably wouldnt work. [/font]

Van build w/ wood stove-

[video=youtube]

Plenty of other examples in small RVs/vans ( search "Van Life TV" on YouTube for a UK example). Whether it's practical or worthwhile is another question.

Pots and pans, entertainment, (laptop, tv,DVD), shower gear, ice chest/ refrigerator. Do you really have room for 4 guitars? You may need a storage pod mounted to the roof.

DannyB1954 said:
Pots and pans, entertainment, (laptop, tv,DVD), shower gear, ice chest/ refrigerator. Do you really have room for 4 guitars? You may need a storage pod mounted to the roof.

4 may be optimistic... but its on my "wish list" 
Thinking 3 electric guitars in soft cases in the space a hanging closet would fill. Acoustic wall mounted. This is a flexable piece though. I will be working full time for probably the next 9 years at least at my curent employer as I have 11 years in the end of April. So another option is a small climate controlled storage locker I can rotate a few things in and out of. Or I may suck it up and embrace the minimalistic life more fully and cut it down to 1 electric and 1 acoustic. As I am in planning stages I have time to decide lol. As it is now I have reduced possessions dramatically over the last year and enjoy the feeling. I have essentially turned my bedroom into a 1 room apartment and it feels great.
:)