using a UPS with an inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffraff

Reaction score
I normally use a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for my computer, monitor etc. Does anyone have an experience using this with an inverter? Is there any point besides the 10 min of extra power when the main power is shut off (dual battery runs low). Is the power surge protection of any use?

Just sorting out what final things need to go into storage.

Also I wonder if using a UPS with a modified sine wave inverter would protect your sensitive electronic devices that might otherwise be harmed.

For sensitive electronics use from a inverter consider getting a SINE WAVE inverter. Industry claims cleaner power than grid-tie.
Sine wave is more spendy but at least you can buy for just watts needed so you can buy a low watt one and dedicate for your computer.
And I would think that UPS you have would be another layer of protection so i'd use it.
While i've used modified sine wave for tv, small battery chargers, etc. i would'nt trust that for a computer and as you mentioned that is your field of expertise so............

Sorry to say that I am not in the loop on this one. But:

1st: a battery powered computer solves this issue, no need for a UPS. I know this first hand hearing the cries of co-workers (all working on their computers) when there is a brief interruption in AC power - while I sit happily using my notebook. (but i'm pretty sure you already thunked of that)

2nd: (after backing everything up) you could simply test your application (and theory) by unplugging your UPS device from the wall (110Vac) while everything is up and running. Is 10 mins enough? (sounds like a lot to me) But: Do you REALLY get 10 mins?

3rd. These micro computers with SSD, ultra low power draws, ultra cheap, don't they change the equation?

just asking.... just trying to contribute.... errrr, please continue as you were.... cough cough.