Using a drill/driver

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I watched the other thread about an inexpensive driver.. I have a question, Harbor freight has Drill Master bare Driver for $19.00. A pure cheapie but as little as I would use it I don't need a high dollar one. And I have the drill and charger already so the battery is no problem. 

What attachment do I use to attach the socket? Stupid question for the mechanics I am sure but ...

Thanks Rob

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-14-in-cordless-impact-driver-62874.html

HF has a 1/4" 6 sided adapter to 4 sided 1/4" and 3/8" and even 1/2" socket drives.

Hell, even I can figure that out.. Thanks to you and bullfrog.

don't try to do anything heavy duty with those adaptors. my DeWalt snaps them off if I try to remove or install large bolts. mine where not el cheapo adaptors. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
don't try to do anything heavy duty with those adaptors.  my DeWalt snaps them off if I try to remove or install large bolts.  mine where not el cheapo adaptors.  highdesertranger
What should I use then?

I thought this thread was going to be about drivers like uber or something. LOL

Use a regular wrench or ratchet to break the bolts loose, then the driver to thread them on / off
I have a set of those I've used on lugnuts, and I've never broken one, HDR's DeWalt must me turbocharged

If you need something heavy duty, HF sells electric impacts that work surprisingly well, I have one that's 15 years old I think

I have one that plugs into 120, never got a cordless yet
I had a 12v that was half decent, but it got run over by one of the kids
In a Dually
lol

I am one of the world's worst mechanics and the fact I can only bend or get on the ground for short periods makes me an even worse mechanic (I have a mechanic friend who will tell that that is impossible).

My 39 dollar wrench and socket set for some reason skips the 15mm socket, goes from 14 to 17. Guess which one I need? If you guessed 15mm you win the prize.

I got the ATV back from the dealer yesterday, they installed the winch and swapped stock wheels for some beaded wheels.

So me and my new driver (when I get it) will attack the brush guards again. Pray for me.. Rob

Drive it around a little bit. Somebody will want a ride, tell them you would give them one but you have to get the brush guard put on first. Ask them if maybe they could help you. I bet it will get on and you might end up with a riding partner.

No hurry just take your time ,1 bolt and nut at a time.
That will actually make you a better mechanic!
You won't forget to tighten something and will probably drop (and lose) less too.
(Not to mention less skinned knuckles!)

Just back from Harbor Freight, place is mobbed at 2 in the afternoon, but easy to find someone to guide you in your search. Took me to the driver, showed me the adapters Art and bullfrog pointed out and a set of Metric including the elusive 15mm.

I know they sell inexpensive stuff but it's fun to look around.

Thanks for the answers and help. Rob

One last question, this thing shows a torque of 360 in. lb... I know that's small but should be enough for just nuts and bolts???

Smaller nuts and bolts like 1/4" as 30 foot pounds can sometimes break the weak cheap ones. You could run up nuts till they make contact then hand tighten and if unsure check with a torque wrench. Drivers of this sort I have always used for screws, for nuts and bolts an impact works better if careful and again hand tightened and checked with a torque wrench. Torque limiting extensions can be used with impacts but still should be checked with a torque wrench, like most tire shops use.

Latest posts