Under Mattress Ventilation?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin McPete

Reaction score
I folks, I remember reading about some kind of mesh product to prevent condensation under the bed? Can anyone remind me what that material is? I found some stuff on Amazon but it seems kind of pricey...TIA.

Froli mattress springs or the mesh is the way to go.  I use the mesh and yes it is expensive @ $10 ft.  No condensation problems so far and I have been using it for about 5 years.

Here is the mesh I use.

If your bed is on a plywood platform, you can just drill a lot of holes in it.

Or spend your time in dry climates and not worry about moisture.

Thanks guys. I need it for a round dog bed, so I may have to attach two pieces side by side and then cut the circle. I need 52 inch diameter. Sailrite has some beautiful stuff in a single sheet that is big enough but it would be expensive.

B and C's Mattress Insider condensation protector seems to be the most economical way to go unless I'm willing to drill holes in my plywood bed, which I'd rather not. I could do both, drilling in moderation - but I think the condensation protector is probably going to be the most effective choice... and it can be cut to size.

Drilling holes in the plywood is only slightly effective (where the holes are). Everywhere else still has direct contact with the mattress and can trap moisture. The two liners mentioned above are the most effective as well as saving time drilling holes which don't do much of anything.

Drilling holes will reduce the weight of the bed.

4" holes would only require 100+ holes at 2" spacing to reduce the weight ~20# vs ~500 1.1/4" holes at 2" spacing to reduce the weight ~8#. (this is just a rough estimate based on 3/4" plywood)
Large holes are not the easiest to drill, but they would be much easier to sand than the smaller holes and would make it easier to move the sheet of plywood.
With a cordless drill you might be able to drill a few 4" holes before charging but an electric drill would be a better way.

Lol, a four inch hole is big enough to fit your hand in. You won't have any support left in your Swiss cheese platform.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Sailrite's mattress ventilation mat is 60x90 and ~8mm (5/16")[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] for $122.[/font]

I went with mattress insider's "hypervent air-flow" and the cost for a 39" wide x 72" piece twin bed size was $60. 
It is 2" short of a standard twin and I could have ordered an 84" piece for $70 but I thought this was close enough. 
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The hypervent is ~18mm (3/4")[/font]

Researching more and finding the correct google word for this, I could have saved money using "MortairVent Rain Screen" A roll of 40 ft is $109 at HD, enough to do 6(six)  twin XL's. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I purchased a roll as I have other projects that I can use the remainder for.[/font]
The product is almost identical with the exception of the thickness. 
The mortairvent is 10mm (3/8").

I thought those of you who meet up could split the purchase of the MortairVent roll, (it cuts with regular scissors) and a twin size would only cost you $20., a queen size $40.

In the photo you can see the difference in thickness. The two products are also adhered to the fabric opposite.

Having both of these products, there is virtually no difference. The Sailrite product (~8mm) is marketed for boats which have much more moisture than a van or RV (lets hope) so I think the 10mm MortairVent will do just fine.

Attachments

• mattress ventilation.JPG
    mattress ventilation.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Thank you for posting this! I was driving myself crazy trying to think of the name of the mortavent.... we used it at my former employers. That was about six years ago and memory fades.

You get moisture in your mattress because the moisture from your body is going into it. This issue is easy to solve by keeping a material between you and the mattress that does not allow the moisure from your body to get into the mattress.

I use an oversize self inflating camping pad on top of my matress cushions. My pad has foam in it for insulation. it is great because I can adjust how firm or how soft I want the surface to be. I do need to adjust the pressure when I change elevation. I have it covered with a fleece sleeve I sewed. The fleece absorbs the moisture from my body and is easy to wash and dry. Been sleeping great on it for a whole year without any condensation issues in my mattress cushions

Problem solving is often easier by preventing the cause than it is to do follow up treatments to reduce the effect of the cause. In this case it it easier to keep moisture out of a mattress than it is to remove it.

Looks like that is a great solution and better pricing. I had to use the Sailrite material though because I needed a single piece 5 feet in diameter to fit underneath a large dog bed. I am using it in a hanging Treepod hammock and so far no issues with water pooling in the bottom and spoiling my comfy cushion arrangement.