Unconventional (or conventional) tips and tricks to stay warmer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, with all the -30s to -40s °F overnight temps this past month

You been enjoyjng those nice negative temps too. This week it’s been above zero but I’m sure it’s going to drop again. Can’t wait until it’s consistently in the 30’s..... You know, March/April.

^^dragonstar

Yup, it's 16°F right now and when I went out to my truck I literally said to myself "I don't need a hat, it's a freaking heat wave out here." (To compare, last night was -19°F, so really it IS a heat wave.) It's amazing what you're body can get acclimated to as "normal" when you spend enough time there.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Yup, it was 30 degrees tonight when i got out of my car, and I felt perfectly comfy in a t-shirt and hoodie. I usually leave my window open all night.

AMGS3 said:
^^dragonstar

Yup, it's 16°F right now and when I went out to my truck I literally said to myself "I don't need a hat, it's a freaking heat wave out here." (To compare, last night was -19°F, so really it IS a heat wave.) It's amazing what you're body can get acclimated to as "normal" when you spend enough time there.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
I’m always intrigued how the body works like that. I got use to hear living in Texas and got use to the cold here in Michigan both times I lived here.
A friend and I were out the other day and it was in the teens. She goes “you know it’s sad when it’s in the teens and my thought this morning was ‘it’s a hoodie only day.” To which I replied “yeah, I made the sad mistake of wearing a hoodie and coat. I’m actually sweating under this jacket.” I had to take it off.

My small truck camper has a couple solar panels mounted facing the front so I always park facing more or less south. Morning is when I would like some solar heat gain but not afternoons when its likely to be warm. My camper is white but I'm considering painting the left side black to absorb heat from the morning sunlight.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
So, I wear these "mukluks" a lot. 
Have you posted that to your Build thread?
If not, please do, it gives a superb feel for the space! :)

You and Angie (and others), may find "wristlets" useful for computer/similar usage in cool inside conditions.
Years ago, I was going to buy a pair from REI, figured I'd check Walmart quickly (had assumed they'd be too esoteric), and was delighted to find they had a wide variety, including these critter-hugger ones:
clothing_wristlet_1.jpg

They all cost the same, so I indulged myself. :)

Can you still get anything like it?

From their website: "Please Note: The Psolar mask products are no longer available and the company is no longer in business. The products represented on this website are for information purposes only and are not available for purchase."

I wonder what happened to them that they no longer make them.

B and C said:
Can you still get anything like it?  

[...]

I wonder what happened to them that they no longer make them.

Not that I know of, and I've wondered exactly the same thing. I couldn't find any recall notices, so maybe it was a nuisance problem like frosting up.

One of the other manufacturers used a metal fiber mat or screen that was silver plated. You could make something very similar out of many layers of bug screen or copper wool. I might use an anti-corrosion coating instead and just boil it periodically.

hugemoth said:
My small truck camper has a couple solar panels mounted facing the front so I always park facing more or less south. Morning is when I would like some solar heat gain but not afternoons when its likely to be warm. My camper is white but I'm considering painting the left side black to absorb heat from the morning sunlight.

That's not a bad idea. When you are in hot areas, you could park with the black side facing away from the sun, so it would give off infra-red energy better. Then when in cold areas, park with the black side facing the sun.

Kaylee said:
it gives a superb feel for the space! :)
I plan to eventually. I've done lots of new stuff, but I'm focusing my energy on learning what I need to be able to organize my photographs right now. It's more complicated than one would think. Especially if you don't want to buy expensive software.

Kaylee said:
You and Angie (and others), may find "wristlets" useful for computer/similar usage in cool inside conditions.
Although those are adorable, I already have a couple of different pairs. I have a coarse-knit wool pair. But, as with those in the picture, the fingers are too thick to be useful for typing. So, I also have a pair that I made out of a pair of gloves a friend gave me because one of the fingertips was torn up. I cut up the gloves and cut out the linings. Then I cut the ends of the fingers off of all the fingers. (I probably should have left the ends on the ring and pinky fingers.) These fingerless glove linings are pretty warm and they don't fray due to the way the fabric was made. 
I really want to get a pair of gloves that have the special rubber on the tips so you can use touch screens with your gloves on.

Two tips:
1. If you're driving from where you spend your day to where you'll park to sleep, crank up the heat & fan to max (even if it's uncomfortable) for about the last mile. That heat will linger long enough to make setting up your bed much more comfortable.
Doubly so in a car, where you typically have to exit and do some quick Movement of Stuff. :)

2. If you're a newbie van dweller with a hooded vent that you/I opened during the bright sunshine-y day (even at 40F outside, it can easily get to 80+F inside), remember to close it when it starts to cool down.
If one forgets, and wakes up in the middle of the night with the thought that it's Dang Cold compared to the previous night, check the vent.
I figured that one out empirically this morning. I have a very high skillz level at making Dumb Mistakes. ;)

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I plan to eventually. I've done lots of new stuff, but I'm focusing my energy on learning what I need to be able to organize my photographs right now. It's more complicated than one would think. Especially if you don't want to buy expensive software.

I completely understand!
I'm a photography weenie, and know that managing the images takes far more time than the original fun part. :)

A while ago, I took a look at your blog, and I do hope you're planning to continue it. You've had some very insightful posts here in many threads, and many would translate well to even-more-detailed articles. :)

Latest posts