Unconventional (or conventional) tips and tricks to stay warmer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMGS3

Reaction score
So recently I read a thread that JDGumbee started about how to stay warmer at night by making a vented sleeping bag tent to go over the upper part of your body. This is an interesting idea and he does a way better job of explaining it in detail. I highly suggest reading it.

That post got me thinking - there's probably a lot of different things that people do in cold weather to stay warm that might not be obvious. I thought of how I've been getting a longer lasting heat from my hot water bottle by wrapping it in a sweater before I put it in the foot end of my bed, so I added that to Gumbee's thread. But, then I though of some other things...

So, since I don't want to highjack that thread I thought I'd start another one.

Here's my staying warm tip(s) -

That water bottle in a sweater one. It's still warm like 8 hrs later.

Use body lotion - I don't know why this works, but it does. When I go for a few days without using lotion and go outside in the freezing cold it's a lot colder than when I put lotion on. Arms, legs, bum, feet, hands, even my face. Just let it absorb in completely before you bundle up and go outside. Also, I try to get one without alcohol.

If you have boots that could stand to be just a tad warmer, they make felt insoles that have this reflective stuff in them. They are a very nice way to give your feet some warmth. I got a pair and unfortunately I wore the branding label off of them, sorry. I will look for something similar and drop a link in here.

That's all for now.

So what cold weather tips do you have?

Let's try to make this thread accessable to everybody, even people with zero cold weather experience. So, even if you think your tip might not be Han Solo making a sleeping bag outta a tauntaun level genius, drop it here. Maybe someone who's never heard it before will be able to use that little gem and stay a little warmer.

Thanks in advance guys. You're awesome.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

The hot water bottle sweater is a Great Idea! I'll have to crotchet one for mine! ;-)

I haven't tried it under my van bed yet, but under my dogs beds, in the cold weather, I put a piece of Refletix (sp?) Under thier Bedding. I seems to work cause both the inside and the outside dog have multiple beds, and both sleep in the bed with the silver bubble wrap under their bedding in the cold weather!

For those who don't use a sleeping bag but rather standard bed linens, the fabric of the sheets makes a big difference.  I have a set of sheets called "Cool Touch" (Bed Bath and Beyond) that I bought when I lived in a warmer climate.  They feel thick and heavy but are actually very cool (cotton fiber).  A few months ago, I moved to a much colder clime.  Bought a cheap set of microfiber sheets at Walmart, which are very thin and soft, silky feeling almost, and they are MUCH warmer!   I know it's the sheets because I'm using the same blankets, same bed, same room, same temps.  Instead of taking 10-15 minutes for my body to warm the bed, now it's maybe 1-2 minutes.

As for clothes, I am learning it isn't the thickness of your layers, it is the fabric.  Merino wool was mentioned a while back but it is oh-so-expensive.  It's on my wish list, but in the meantime I have found there is a big difference between the warmth of the different long sleeved knit (women's) under shirts.  I have about eight, from different brands and the Cuddl Duds Softwear With Stretch, which are the thinnest and lightest weight fabric of all, are definitely the warmest as a base layer that I have found that are reasonably priced.

Ladies:  Look around in the menswear dept.  The clothes are generally made better, warmer, and cheaper!  I found sweat pants that are lined with what they call "Sherpa" fleece.  OMG!  No base layer required, they are instantly warm when you put them on!  I do not like and haven't worn sweats in 35 years; this new home at 6100 feet elevation at the base of a mountain, night time temps in the teens and lower, day times 20's-30's, has me changing my views in many ways and this is one of them!  I now have five pair of these men's sweatpants (about $20 ea at Walmart).  And three men's hoodies that have a similar lining.  And surprisingly, they dry pretty fast.  Nothing even close in ladies wear.

And wear a scarf around your neck.

All of you who have lived in cold climates may know all of this but it has been a real learning experience for me.

Stay warm and happy days!

WanderingRose,

Yes! Micro fleece! But I have yet to find leggings that don't feel cool on my skin. Just ordered the Cuddle Duds Softwear bottoms (they make other kinds so be aware, I learned this the hard way). We'll see. I have high hopes.

Hmm.

I have a couple of pairs, there are just microfleece and are immediately warming to me.

Some of the sportswear brands make microfleece pants, and I have found those inexpensively at TJ Maxx, as well.

I use flannel sheets in the winter at home, but just an all season down comforter with washable duvet cover in my Class B.

It is incredibly warm, and when really cold I will cover with a fleece blanket first, then the comforter over that.

You can buy fleece liners for sleeping bags, which are also a good under layer for nighttime.

No cold can get in this way. :)

Forget the scarf... :cool:

Someone posted this someplace and I don't recall who but will share here.
I have a couple pair of old sweat pants and per their suggestion, rather than toss them... cut the last 14" of each leg off and then cut off the bottom elastic that would normally hug your ankle. You end up with a 12-13" tapered tube of fleece that can be pulled over your head, narrow end up.
Unreal warmth for sleeping and use the other leg for daylight hours while the first one airs/dries out.

I change into cheap white tube sox when I get into bed and in this temperature I put another pair
on my hands.
This deep freeze we are having brings out the best suggestions... tonight's wind chill projected to -34*

Layers.

Several thinner layers are always better insulation than one thick layer would be. The layers trap air in between them, and air is very good insulation.

Also, the "you lose most heat through your head" thingie is a myth, as anyone can confirm for themselves with an infrared camera. You want to keep your body mass warm, since that is where you lose most of your heat.

Here are a couple I can think of:

• You loose a lot of heat from the your head, so cover it!  Stocking cap, hoodie, sleeping bag hood, blanket over head, . . .  Cover your ears too.
  • Wear thick wool hiking socks to bed.  Wool socks or mittens on your hands too if you sleep, like me, with your arm under the pillow.
  • Eat something right before you go to bed.  It takes energy to digest = heat.  Sugar = fast, intense heat.
  • Cotton kills.  There are so many good synthetics that feel like cotton and don't absorb and hold water.  Wet cotton has no insulating value.
  • Air out your mattress daily.  You will sweat ~ 2 cups of water over night, half will go into the mattress.  Don't forget about under the mattress.
  • During nightly bathroom breaks, pull up the covers.  Retain that hard won heated bed.
  • Put heavier blankets on the bottom and lighter, fluffier blankets on top.  Heavy blankets will compress the loft of fluffy blankets, reducing their insulation.
  • For footwear added insulation under your foot will help a lot.  I prefer sheepskin.  Ski shops sell rechargeable, heated insoles.
  • For those times my hands, feet, or knees will just not warm up I keep a few of the chemical hand warmers hunters use.
  • Your urine should be 'gin clear' if you are well hydrated (unless medication affects that).

+1 for neckwarmers, tho I have never slept in one I wear cowls for windy, cold walks and they add immeasurable warmth.

I never cover my head, as if covers are pulled up to my neck I am plenty warm.

There is not a day throughout the year that my ears aren't covered when I sleep. Whether it be bugs in the Summer, cold in the Winter, or noise year round, I keep them covered, and sometimes with disposable plugs in them.

Shower before bed in warm water, this will get your core warmer. If truly cold, do some excersise before bed, this will get the blood flowing.

A couple of winters ago I started drinking a spicy tea and gradually I've switched over to making my own. It's got ginger and cinnamon, a pinch of cloves and a little splash of lemon or orange juice.

This is anecdotal, but on winter days that I don't drink it to start the day and have something else warm to drink (coffee) instead, I do seem colder. I've researched wether spices like cinnamon, etc *actually* make you warmer or just make you *think* you are warmer. Hard to know who to trust on that one, lol. Aahh Google.

And I don't add sweetener to either the tea or coffee, so the difference isn't the sugar content. Maybe it's the caffeine? Or lack of it?

Here's another idea - if you know you have to be outside in the cold but it's sunny out, wear black pants. Your legs will feel warmer than if you were wearing a lighter color, at least where the sun is shining on you. The same idea applies to really all outerwear, but I've noticed the biggest difference with my pants since that is usually the spot I've got the least padding on underneath my outer layer.

~angie

As a man, using a pee bottle overnight is fairly easy and never even having to get out of your sleeping bag is the bees knees. I have no clue if women can do it! But women backpack and climb mountains, I'll bet there are forum posts out there somewhere discussing how it can be done.

So two days ago my friend introduced me to HotsnapZ. They are reusable handwarmers that you can "recharge" by heating them up again in boiling water. I'm not really sure HOW they work, but I do know THAT they work. When she first handed them to me she took them out of her purse and they were room temperature-ish. She pushed this little button thing inside and they started to warm up. Then she had me stick them in my mittens. They were nice and warm for over an hour. I don't know how long they will last, cuz I had to give them back to her before I left. I'm planning on ordering some of my own.

Here's the link to their website- https://hotsnapz.com/

Does anyone else have any experience with these?

Stay warm,
~angie

Edit- according to the website it looks like they can be recharged in the microwave, too.

Angie, I haven't used that particular brand, but did buy & evaluate a similar reusable hand warmer product, about eight years ago. I just checked the Amazon reviews, and the specs are very similar between the two products.

It's a great concept, however its short warmth period (1/2 to 1 hour) means it's mostly only suited for short outdoor activities. If you're doing regular short stints outside, they'd be great, and I don't regret buying one. :)

I did just a few full cycles of reheat & use, and it was easy to recharge and activate.
I tried using it to warm up a precooked retort pouch, and found it did a poor job.
I did not do any rigorous outdoor testing, just indoor tests, mainly because if it's cold enough to need "extras" I stay indoors. I'm a birder, but birds mostly hunker down in frigid conditions. :)

I definitely recommend having some regular, longer lasting ones, in case one encounters unexpected cold sleeping conditions. Even a single small hand warmer really helps when sleeping without any other heat source. :)

P.S. Great thread - thanks for starting it, O Queen of The North! :)

AMGS3 said:
This is anecdotal, but on winter days that I don't drink it to start the day and have something else warm to drink (coffee) instead, I do seem colder. I've researched wether spices like cinnamon, etc *actually* make you warmer or just make you *think* you are warmer.

Not sure about anyone else, but caffeine in coffee makes the toe I can still feel cold as hell.
Sitting @ my work desk, without insulated slippers on, my feet will get very cold.
Something about the blood vessels being dilated??

Decaf largely solves the issue, so there seems to be something to it.
Long ago, I heard something about the different types of caffeine and how the body metabolizes it...supposedly, tea is easier and causes less "dilation" of the blood supply system. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could add more detail on this.

AJ452 said:
As a man, using a pee bottle overnight is fairly easy and never even having to get out of your sleeping bag is the bees knees.  I have no clue if women can do it!  But women backpack and climb mountains, I'll bet there are forum posts out there somewhere discussing how it can be done.

Google for "She-Wee".   :)

meow1.jpg
Even my cat needed an extra layer of warmth this morning. He was very happy to have his fleece jacket on, funny look on his face, same look he gets when sitting in the sun. He does not fight it or try to take it off, he really likes wearing it when it is cold. It was of course made for dogs.

Attachments

• meow1.jpg
    meow1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
Looks very happy to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts