Unconventional Lifestyle & Thinking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MaTaLa...it might come to that, if my impulsive side has anything to say in the matter :)  
But I'm afraid once i leave i will never want to go back...(or maybe it will be a relief to get back/to take a break from roughing it ...)

If you work until you get the full SS benefits, there is a certain age where you can keep all of the social security check and work too in order to make some side money.  Otherwise I think for every $2 dollars you earn you have to give back $1 from your social security check.  You can Google this.

Not sure exactly what that age is,  but they speak of FRA or full retirement age.  Then you can work and still keep all of your benefits check. (as I understand it)

The more marketable skills you have that you can use while traveling,  the better off you will be.  Selling online,  salesmanship, arts & crafts, electrical/mechanical,  sewing, lite carpentry, etc  

I belong to AAA and in the past I would buy Travelers Checks there at face value cost. (one of the benefits of belonging)
I have used an "free online hard drive backup" to store check numbers in case something happened to them so I could get  replacements.  Never had any problems, but I thought it would be a good idea.

@eDJ_   I already opted for early SS ( i needed the extra income)....if i work while living a nomad life i would rather make some extra dough doing creative stuff....which means i would have to sell my art & poetry books....so i will be a starving artist...lol.   But if i use my conventional skills i could work for an agency that does home health care...or work in a dental office ...or maybe turn my van into  a food truck...or have a lemonade stand....lol

Gypsy108 said:
@eDJ_   I already opted for early SS ( i needed the extra income)....if i work while living a nomad life i would rather make some extra dough doing creative stuff....which means i would have to sell my art & poetry books....so i will be a starving artist...lol.   But if i use my conventional skills i could work for an agency that does home health care...or work in a dental office ...or maybe turn my van into  a food truck...or have a lemonade stand....lol
A lemonade stand in the desert, might do well.

eDJ_ said:
If you work until you get the full SS benefits, there is a certain age where you can keep all of the social security check and work too in order to make some side money.  Otherwise I think for every $2 dollars you earn you have to give back $1 from your social security check.  You can Google this.

Not sure exactly what that age is,  but they speak of FRA or full retirement age.  Then you can work and still keep all of your benefits check. (as I understand it)

The more marketable skills you have that you can use while traveling,  the better off you will be.  Selling online,  salesmanship, arts & crafts, electrical/mechanical,  sewing, lite carpentry, etc  

I belong to AAA and in the past I would buy Travelers Checks there at face value cost. (one of the benefits of belonging)
I have used an "free online hard drive backup" to store check numbers in case something happened to them so I could get  replacements.  Never had any problems, but I thought it would be a good idea.
Your allowed to make just over 17,000.00 for the year 2019 before SS docks your earnings.