Ultra-Capacity Lithium Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LFP has a power density of about 80 to 100 watt-hr per kilogram

LA is about 40 watt-hr per kilogram

the 18650 cells are about 150 to 180 watt-hr per kilogram

I think the thin foil packs wrapped in shrink wrap such as used in hobby RC batteries are around 200 watt-hr per kilogram and near the max you can get for a battery right now outside of a lab.

But energy density is not nearly so important as safety

I would avoid the increased risk of thermal runaway (BOOM) for lithium chemistries other than LFP, when the batts are in a small enclosed space with humans.

John61CT said:
But energy density is not nearly so important as safety

I would avoid the increased risk of thermal runaway (BOOM) for lithium chemistries other than LFP, when the batts are in a small enclosed space with humans.

Then go with LA if you are not concerned with energy density and especially go with AGM.  There have been zero cases of thermal runaway with Lifeline AGM and orders of magnitude more of them have been in use over the past decades than LFP.

I have no safety concern with LFP. New, prismatic cells, maximum 2-3 strings.

Just addressing those who think any of the other dozen or so lithium chemistries are also as safe for living with in a confined space.

18650s, secondhand cells, EV packs, Tesla Powerwall etc are fine as "science projects", not for mobile House use.

John61CT.....I have found that to compare lead acid batteries....put them on a scale ...higher amp hour batteries have thicker plates or more plates either way more lead means a heavier battery....go for the heaviest ones said:
Just FYI it is routine for LiFePO4 cells, at least at the large & quality side of the market, to actually deliver 10-15% higher AH capacity when new than their labelled rating.

I think this is due to higher variability in output, and the better sellers try to sell "matched sets" for greater ease/stability in keeping banks balanced.

Definitely a good idea to avoid surprises, to get some sort of benchmarking done at installation, to compare to as capacity declines over time.

If you don't want to read the whole thing, go to last night's tail and go back a few pages.

For those who are interested in such devices, Goal Zero is currently* (as of 31 August 2018) having a sale, with the Yeti 150, Yeti 400 Lithium and Yeti 1400 Lithium power stations** all 20% off:

https://www.goalzero.com/product-features/be-ready-sale/

They are also having an open-box sale:

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/open-box-product/

*Pun intended, of course :D

**Their marketing term for such devices (they reserve the term "solar power generator" for their power stations bundled with a solar panel)

AuricTech said:
they reserve the term "solar power generator" for their power stations bundled with a solar panel
Two cheers for Yeti!