Uhaul Super Stealth-Box

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a fun build great to have all that space. I have some experience with roller doors from that I know that rollers break fall off track and jam open or closed and the one that breaks is usually the hardest to get to etc. you may have thought of this but if you haven't,you might want to think of access to the tracks. I like your layout, all I have to say is easy on the 2x4s it takes energy to move weight... in my entire build I don't even have a 2x2 all framing is 3/4 inch all panelling 6mm except top of bed 12mm build it like a boat..:)

[color=#520057Darn, I was worried about all that collective weight. People keep telling me to play it safe and overbuild to make it solid for the all the movement it'll go through, but I'm sure it'll have it's effect on fuel economy and such. And looking at that old trailer I've been scavenging it's so cheaply made in comparison... Of course that thing is wrecked, but I could get by with less. Too late now though. Most the lumber is in I think. I still got to build a desk, kitchenette couch, and paneling. all adding up :/
And for the roll door, those hinges have been breaking on me a bunch already. I'll keep access to the track in mind.[/color]

Ehhh...I wouldn't get too worried about your 2 x 4's, but do keep it in mind as you continue your project. You're not adding tons of weight to your rig.

Yeah, I guess a collective few hundred pounds extra equates to just a couple extra people in the rig. I'll try not to worry too much, but be weary. Thank you.

Nice build ! This is a 14 foot. box ? I got a 97 14 ft F 350 ( truck ) for 900$
I outfitted it for more of a toy hauler Rv . Hope to put up some pics on another post.

Hey Caleb....Kyle was describing your styrofoam cutter to me, and I think it sounds cool as hell!! (sounds like it works great too!)

would you post up a few pics of it and a description of what you made it with and how it works??

I'm sure there are lots of folks on here who'd be interested in making one of their own!

Hey, Caleb
Been following your build. Good use of recycled materials.

Curious about one thing ... How much interior height do you have, after building a false ceiling to allow for the rollup back door? I have considered building a box van or step van rolling home, and interior walkaround height is very important to me.

Bob

What I did was use 3 layers of 1/2 inch foil faced foam. The first 2 layers were cut to fit between the u haul box ribs , held in place with masking tape, and the 3rd layer was full sheets over the ribs stuck on with carpet 2 sided tape and then screwed directly to the rib with self drilling screws ( drilled pilot hole anyway) and large finder washers. Only lost 1/2 inch of head room. The 3 layers of reflective foil REALLY work grate. I have an aluminum roof .

My roll up door is in good shape abd seals ok . It clears t,he insulation with no problems. I used the interlocking 2x2 DIY gym floor mats also 1/2 inch thick and tread plate gray for the floor .
Just with the roof and floor covered made a huge change in temp swings .

Say Trikepilot...

you might wanna start your own build thread, as this one is Caleb's, and we all might enjoy reading about your story too!

Patrick46 said:
Hey Caleb....Kyle was describing your styrofoam cutter to me, and I think it sounds cool as hell!! (sounds like it works great too!)

would you post up a few pics of it and a description of what you made it with and how it works??

I'm sure there are lots of folks on here who'd be interested in making one of their own!

It's really not impressive. I'm pretty sure people are just going to tell me I'm going to electrocute myself or start a fire. But for those who are curious I'll show ya, but for those who need to cut styrofoam I'd suggest buying a legit hot wire styrofoam cutter if you got the money or try making one yourself (http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-wire-foam-cutter/). I'd warn you that the DIY route may take some knowledge about electricity, and the easier routes are for smaller scale cuts. It was my first project like this and I was shooting a little high for my skill level and failed a few times before realizing I can just take apart an old heater and manipulate the nichrome wire over a cutting type board and slide the dock pieces through...

76f49579adc1047fb99ca5a316002db5_zps80e9d4dc.jpg

d46b1ebd791c0364f0f6b063668def29_zpsdbce8008.jpg

86b81b3e614609bfcddfe8fd93a5a3ca_zps195af44e.jpg

And this was the almost halfway legit cutter I made:
e679d419356875ed3a126ba6629bb7b5_zpsdd10073b.jpg
worked good for about half a cut. Then it burnt out on me.

Yes trikepilot. I'd like to see some pictures of what you got going on and following a similar build right now would be neat.
Your route for insulating seems like a pretty good way to go. If I had to do it again I'd probably do something somewhat similar. The trade off for my free insulation is time... Turned out being the biggest project within the project, so far. But it's nice and thick. I'm going to do another layer of foil behind the panel board as well.

stude53 said:
Hey, Caleb
Been following your build. Good use of recycled materials.

Curious about one thing ... How much interior height do you have, after building a false ceiling to allow for the rollup back door? I have considered building a box van or step van rolling home, and interior walkaround height is very important to me.

Bob

Thank you Bob.
Only 4' from the back wall is there the raised floor and false ceiling. I forget what the height is exactly, I'll check it tomorrow. I have to hunch around where the sink and counter will be, but I'll probably always be sitting in the desk area. I kind of like the little nook thing for the desk. The same for the bed. I like a small area for certain things, but the head room is valued as well. The open area's floor is 6 1/2' by 7 1/2' about, but there will be furniture and appliances. Forgot how tall it is too, but there's plenty of head room. It will be nice to have at least that to stand in.

Yea sorry was trying to give a quick option for head room problem .
won't happen again.
I salvaged some white boat dock foam before. It was waterloged to the point hot wire was useless
Never seemed to dry out. Abd didn't smell to good ether. was in fresh water lake.

Yeah, some of it was waterlogged pretty bad. Almost all of them look bad on the outside but after cutting enough I can tell if they are going to be clean on the inside or not. Decided earlier on to junk all the dirty or wet pieces.

Incredible build out. The power rangers lunch box pushes it over the top. Looks legit to me!

Hilarious hot wire cutter - what caused it to burn out - the resistance cutting through the length of stryro or the way you rigged it up or what? Thanks and I can't wait to see more photos - will you have access to that under deck area for skinny things?

Thank you.
From the knowledge I gathered I believe it had something to do with the resistance. But I still don't know much about electricity. And yes, I do intend to utilize that space under the upper floor.

This project is one big learning experience! Turns out I have to screw most the ceiling panel to the framing before I can insulate the walls to the top. But before doing that I wanted to spray-paint our solar system for a ceiling piece, so that's what I've been working on for the past few days.

3bd1f928d1e18e59028bfe626f12fbe8_zps29a48a04.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good. Earth is not satisfactory, I may just paste over an actual picture of it. I'll add more to the piece over time anyhow (shooting stars, satellites, space ships,...), but for now it's about ready to go up.
My taste is often a little outlandish, but I try to keep some class.

... If you're curious to how this was done just look up spray paint space on youtube.

looks great, good job, can't wait to see the walls..... you wont have to go anywhere with this rig to go on a trip...:)

HA!!

I'll bet Kyle was showing you those videos on those guys spray painting skate decks! Looks Great!!